IGNORED

USB 2.0 Specification compliance on audiophile cables?

Hello. I am not a typical audiophile in that I'm looking for a USB 2.0 cable to connect to my new Lynx Hilo home recording studio interface designed for multi-track recording. The only audiophile cable that I've seen listing compliance with the USB 2.0 specifications is Supra. Supra also suggests that the 90 ohm impedance is important.

Are there reasons that the audiophile cable manufacturers don't list the 2.0 specification? The Lynx specifically states that the cable should conform to USB 2.0 specs. I would buy an audiophile USB cable if I knew that there wouldn't be issues with this application. Lots of information has to travel back and forth along this cable, so could it be that the better sounding audiophile cables are designed for one-way travel and that perhaps syncing outgoing and incoming tracks is best left to non-audiophile cables? I really have no idea, just guessing here.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

More than likely it needs to conform to USB 2.0 High Speed specifications.  Even likelier is a search here would yield more debates and information than you want to consume on the subject.  :)  Mostly fiery debate about audiophile cables vs. generic ones built to an acceptable tolerance.  The non-partisan ideal we generally all agree on is that if you are happy with the performance and sound with something like the $2/6' USB from Blue Jeans there is no reason to spend $2K/m on a boutique USB cable.  

Not many of the cables with larger price tags are manufactured by people who feel they can offer the qualities their cables inherit from being breathed upon by their special process(es) through matching the USB spec exactly.  This is at least one large reason to consider the more realistically priced options first.

Best of luck

Most likely is that Hilo specifies 90 Ohm USB2.0 cable is that the cable works with the USB receiver built into the Hilo. At CA, we have seen a few times where exotic cables have totally ruined the USB transmission to a point where there's no steady signal stream, but corrupted due to physical construction of the cable.

The main reason cable manufacturers don't specify the 90 Ohm requirement because the cable doesn't comply! Careful of length, 2m would be the limit for 192 signals.

In addition to the Supra, SAEC also manufacture 90 Ohm USB cables, but this brand is on runout.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA