IGNORED

What do you use the Grouping field for?

Sometimes I use it to “group” a bunch of music files that are of various genres. For example, usually for SXSW, NPR releases its Top 100 bands that play in Austin during the event. NPR titles the zip of files, something like NPR Music's The Austin 100. In the group field, I put “NPR Music's The Austin 100 (and the year).” I can easily use the group designation to create a huge NPR playlist or a couple of NPR playlists divided by year.

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

For Classical music is very useful, I use it for the work name. In this way is very easy, and interesting, to retrieve the same work across different executions 

Interesting. What do you use the Album field for? (I use that for the work. e.g. "Haydn: Mass in B flat major, Hob. XXII:14 "Harmoniemesse"" or "Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37").

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2018 at 12:46 PM, GregWormald said:

I do use the star ratings but for whole albums. I've been doing the 'grouping thing' for so long now that I can't remember whether or not the stars always worked the way they do now. (I've been using Macs since 1985!)

Maybe it's time to try and simplify.?

Nope.

I finally re-discovered why I use Grouping for my ratings and don't rely on the Stars--the Groupings travel with the files and the Stars are lost in backups.