IGNORED

Article: The Best Version Of… Jefferson Airplane’s Surrealistic Pillow

@JoshM thanks again for all the research and leg work/I am going to keep my 'French' address which is my hometown and neighborhood in USA central ny which Qobuz calls 'New France' which is what the entire northeast USA would have been called had the French won on the Plains of Abraham-always thought that was pretty cool and cheeky of Qobuz

• 2 weeks later...

I'm arriving late, but very, very much enjoyed the level of research and resulting information here.  Looking forward to much more.

By the way, speaking of Jefferson Starship, there were undeniably some really bad songs in their output, but I think "Caroline" (from Dragonfly) is a neglected masterpiece.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I had all the major vinyl releases of this which are now sold, but also have the MoFi SACD. But after reading this, I found the "Irwin" mixed in some new CD's that I never listened to ! I am going to rip it, the it will be in Roon with my SACD backup of the MoFi  !

NAD M33, SGC SonicTransporter I5 GEN 3, w/ 2GB SSD drive as the storage and ROON CORE, with SGC CD Ripper,  Fiber Optic converter system, ROON.  Revel Performa 3 F208 Speakers, ROON, Grover Huffman EX speaker cables, and Bass Jumpers,  WD EX2 Red Drive NAS, Netgear Nighthawk Router, all streaming hardwired Cat6/7, no WiFi. Sony Blu-Ray for SACD backup, PS Audio Dectec to a dedicated 20 amp circuit, Custom Speaker covers, PS Audio Power, Signal Power .

• 1 year later...

@JoshM Great article, and helped me to narrow down my pics for the SACD and the 2003 stereo remaster. I've done a lot of soundtrack ripping work in the past (mostly known for my Ultimate CST editions of the first three Silent Hill video game soundtracks), so I thought I might tackle this problem of the vocals being overly muted and a little too much reverb compared to the mono SACD master. I took the 2003 remaster and applied my own re-remastering, where I give the vocals a boost and remove some of the reverb. There's a slight loss of stereo separation to pull this off, but you would never know unless you compared it to the 2003 original. Even with that, the trade-off is totally worth it.

In my opinion, my re-remaster of the 2003 edition sounds the very best of any stereo release of the album. I uploaded a 320 MP3 (I meant to do FLAC but accidentally saved out as MP3) of White Rabbit. I won't link it publicly here, but send me a PM if you want to hear how it turned out.