IGNORED

Windows Server 2016 Core and Foobar2000

PewterTA

I know I'm doing something dumb or forgetting something... but I could use some ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here to get these two working...

Where I'm at... well first, I was running Win2k12 Core mode perfectly fine until my SSD went up in smoke (litterally) a resistor or something failed and there was actual smoke!  So I lost my customized version using W2k12 + AO.  RIP server, you were LOVED!

So instead of pulling out my backup copy (which admittedly was old, probably AO 1.2 or 1.4 or something like that)... I had started a Win 2k16 Core installation... so I decided to move forward not back!

Anyways, Windows 2016 is installed.  I have everything updated and configured, can get in remotely, can see the remote share as a mapped drive, got the USB card drivers installed, added the Mutec MC-3+ USB drivers installed and Foobar2000 installed.  I verified I can see the Mutec MC-3+ USB in the "device manager" and was able to configure the driver for minimal latency and buffers (so with it seeing the Mutec, that's a good sign!).  Things seem good so far.

I put AO on the box, Foobar2000 wouldn't load without the .dll obviously, then ran AO.  Got AO setup, installed Kernel Streaming, verified that foo_out_ks is there in Foobar2000.  However, when I go to pick an output device all I have is Null Output.   I figured I wouldn't have my WASAPI and other outputs that I used to have under Win2k12... but I don't even have any KS to pick from at all.

What am I missing!?!?  I'm sure I'm missing some step I just haven't thought of or missed some configuration somewhere but I just can't think of it.

I probably need a day or two away (which is coming with going to Capital Audiofest 2018 in DC)...but I just really would've like to get the Mutec output seen.

Deep in the recesses of my mind I think I think I remember having to do the Desktop Experience or something with Win2k12r2 before I put into core mode to make things work.  Or did something with Foobar2000 to make it work.  I just can't remember.

I know you can't do Desktop Experience in 2016 in Core, so if that's in, my only option is to use 2016 in GUI then right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

-Dan

2018-10-31_15-19-17.jpg

Hi

Are you sure you said yes to "Install Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayer support" in AO? I ask because you could not start Foobar and can't see KS, which both is enabled by the mentioned feature of AO.

Best,

AudioPhil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

@PewterTA

Hi.  I don't really know what specific advice to give you, but I can confirm Foobar 2000 v1.4 runs just fine on WinServer 2016 Core Standard edition-- of course it requires AO to work.  And I'm running Dante Virtual Soundcard to output ASIO over Ethernet to a Focusrite D16AES.  I seem to vaguely remember installing Windows Media Feature/Foundation prior to installing my soundcard drivers and prior to installing AO.  Outside of that, does the Mutec driver support ASIO?  You could try the Foobar ASIO plugin and see if it 'sees' the Mutec via ASIO.

Sorry I was out of town down at Capital Audiofest 2018 this weekend... now I'm back.

I got ASIO to work.  I have kernel streaming 1.2.2 installed and shows up in the components.

I did verify (went through again) that I pressed yes to kernel streaming install...  So at the moment I'm stumped why I can use ASIO but not KS.

I'll keep looking around, but I first was finishing up the mapping of drives to automatically happen and a few other things.  I know it's something silly (I might re-install the drivers for the Mutec and see if that causes something.

It's just right there on the tip of my tongue what I should do to make it work.  :)

14 hours ago, PewterTA said:

Sorry I was out of town down at Capital Audiofest 2018 this weekend... now I'm back.

I got ASIO to work.  I have kernel streaming 1.2.2 installed and shows up in the components.

I did verify (went through again) that I pressed yes to kernel streaming install...  So at the moment I'm stumped why I can use ASIO but not KS.

I'll keep looking around, but I first was finishing up the mapping of drives to automatically happen and a few other things.  I know it's something silly (I might re-install the drivers for the Mutec and see if that causes something.

It's just right there on the tip of my tongue what I should do to make it work.  :)

Hi

Hm. Yes, please uninstall and reinstall the DAC driver and try again.

Best,

AudioPhil

____________________________________________________________________________________

On 11/2/2018 at 9:29 PM, jaynyc said:

@PewterTA

Hi.  I don't really know what specific advice to give you, but I can confirm Foobar 2000 v1.4 runs just fine on WinServer 2016 Core Standard edition-- of course it requires AO to work.  And I'm running Dante Virtual Soundcard to output ASIO over Ethernet to a Focusrite D16AES.  I seem to vaguely remember installing Windows Media Feature/Foundation prior to installing my soundcard drivers and prior to installing AO.  Outside of that, does the Mutec driver support ASIO?  You could try the Foobar ASIO plugin and see if it 'sees' the Mutec via ASIO.

Thanks Jynyc, I figured it worked since I had it working on my Windows 2012 R2 server when it was working.  I think I had to do something (simple) to get Kernel streaming to work, but I just can't remember what.

I did just reinstall the driver and that didn't do anything as well as re-ran the AO and configured again.  So something is stopping KS from using the driver.

I just installed the SACD for DSD and it sees the dac fine with ASIO (using DSD : ASIO to output).  So there's something I'm missing doing or something.  I might delete the KS .dll and put it back to see if that works now.

I'm pretty sure I had something similar to this when I built the 2012r2 back in the day and it's just escaping me what it was.

-Dan

RDP connection (can be somewhat of a nasty thing... the default setting of the RDP client is to play the remotely generated sound on the local machine, so actually redirection the sound backwards through the RCP connection to your local machine.

That can be pretty much a reason for KS not showing up (or anything else..). So make always sure you disable the sound redirection in the RDP client so that your server can use its local sound interfaces :)

Yes, I only RDP in when there's issues (like this).  I play all my music through FoobarCon off my Samsung Tablet or phone.  So I do not use RDP when playing music (unless I'm fiddling with AO or something on there).  The computer is headless, so RDP makes it easier than keeping a monitor hooked up to it.  Unless your SSD burns up... then you need a monitor to figure out what's wrong!  ha ha.

With KS back, I definitely can tell pretty easily the differences between ASIO and KS.  I can understand why people like ASIO (WASAPI also) as it has a nice "warmth" to it, where KS is a little more precise...but I love hearing the ambiance of the recordings that KS seems to show off better.

Either way though, I'm really enjoying AO and Windows server 2016 core for music!

-Dan