IGNORED

JPLAY FEMTO is fantastic

joelha

JPLAY FEMTO was released this morning.

It's a significant step beyond the previous version of JPLAY.

I've been a beta tester for the better part of two weeks and I find the sound to be outstanding.

It's my go to player at this time and I've used a lot of different players in Windows, Mac and Linux environments.

Free trials are available and I'd highly recommend trying it.

Those who think all players sound the same might be surprised in this case.

You can learn more about JPLAY FEMTO and download a trial version at: http://jplay.eu/forum/index.php?/topic/2645-jplay-classic-jplay-femto-released/

Joel

P.S. I've met both of the innovators of this software, Marcin and Josef, and they are very good guys.

Sorry Joel. I have to respond to this.

Joel appears to be one of the JPLAY Femto users who has managed to get this to work. Go look at the JPLAY Forum. He appears to be in the minority. I can't get it to work in dual PC configuration, I can't assign the drives that contain my music files, I've had problems getting a control point to work with it and when I did I couldn't see any covert art.

If people want to try it, then please be my guest but I would advise that you don't buy it until you are sure that it will work in your setup.

Sorry to have to post this. It may be the case that I have wasted 49 Euros today. I have asked JPLAY for a refund. I will post if I get it

Jazzdoc,

If people are going to read your message then they should read my response to your message as well (immediately below yours on JPLAY's forum).

In contrast to Jazzdoc, I highly recommend that people buy JPLAY. To critique a product within hours of its release before the authors (only a two man operation) have had a chance to field all the comments they're receiving, is unfair.

Time will tell who is right, but I've known Marcin personally for years and am thrilled with his product and his attention to me and other customers.

I hope people will trust my long-term experiences rather than your very recent frustrations.

Joel

10 hours ago, JazzDoc said:

Sorry Joel. I have to respond to this.

Joel appears to be one of the JPLAY Femto users who has managed to get this to work. Go look at the JPLAY Forum. He appears to be in the minority. I can't get it to work in dual PC configuration, I can't assign the drives that contain my music files, I've had problems getting a control point to work with it and when I did I couldn't see any covert art.

If people want to try it, then please be my guest but I would advise that you don't buy it until you are sure that it will work in your setup.

Sorry to have to post this. It may be the case that I have wasted 49 Euros today. I have asked JPLAY for a refund. I will post if I get it

FEMTO working well and sounding great on my single I3 NUC/bubble UPNP/mControl

I've used JPLAY from version 1 and over that time it's improved substantially in terms of sound quality and User experience.

Yup there has been some hiccups along the way but those have usually been sorted pretty quickly.

IMHO it’s pretty poor form to post complaints in this way before the release dust has settled when a little patience may be more prudent.

Looking at the forum may give a slightly skewed account of what’s going on numbers wise. I’m sure that most experienced forum users will know that people only tend to post when they have a problem to solve.

The rest for the most part stay silent.

So yes some issues to fix for some people which is normal for a new software release.

Let’s hope that yours are fixed soon. 

mmm, I abandoned JPlay use a couple of years ago as good on transient response but washed out for midrange tone color intensity. I don't see how adding UPNP remote control changes what seems essentially a characteristic of PC direct to DAC without an exotic USB card in the PC? I had a similar experience with AO but

at least Jplay didn't give me OS configuration fits.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 minute ago, davide256 said:

mmm, I abandoned JPlay use a couple of years ago as good on transient response but washed out for midrange tone color intensity. I don't see how adding UPNP remote control changes what seems essentially a characteristic of PC direct to DAC without an exotic USB card in the PC? I had a similar experience with AO but

at least Jplay didn't give me OS configuration fits.

It's not only adding a UPnP remote - playback engine has been completely rewritten. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

But that engine requires direct to DAC right? meaning that my server has to be with USB cable distance (3 feet) of the DAC?

Correct. Unless you use it in JPLAY dual PC mode then the Control PC (server) can be far away from your hifi setup and only Audio PC (endpoint) that sits close to your audio system connects to DAC.

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Credit where credit is due. I have to put my hand up and report that I was critical of JPLAYfemto on launch day. While several users have experienced challenges to get this new software to work, it is much to Marcin's credit that he very quickly establish a dedicated issues/bugs thread on the JPLAY Forum and is working extremely hard to ensure that any issues/bugs posted by users receive a very prompt response. Well done Marcin. It is greatly appreciated.

Here's my contribution:

It's very impressive to see what JPLAY can do in its more exigent setup. The extreme limit that exists in previous version (DAC Link at 700Hz) now was increased to 1000Hz, and in this specific setup, the system can reach a level that I've never heard yet. Although using the same 700Hz, the gains that the version 7.0 brings make the result better then with the version 6.2, but it's at 1000Hz that it shows the differential, and it happens even using MinimServer. Using the whole set provided (JPLAY FEMTO and femtoServer) the level increases even more, and something that I've never thought been possible occured. This is because, in my conception, using the current hardware, the Ayre QB-9 would already be at its quality limit, and wouldn't be possible to obtain more of it without completely reformulate the computer and/or build another one. The JPLAY FEMTO makes me rethink about it.

There's a noticeable gain in spatiality, in resolution, in dynamics, in aeration, in ambience and ease of identification of stage positions. The feeling that causes me using the JPLAY set at 1000Hz is that the room saturation decreases considerably, and that everything I could get with a larger room is delivered by the system here in this small room. It's difficult to explain and even more difficult to understand this. I believe that the most illustrative representation of this is in the aspect of the differentiation of the intensity of various musical instruments. We call this dynamic, but what I mean, quite synthetically, is just that there's now a gigantic facility in understanding the different intensities and planes of various musical instruments. It's as if a photograph gained more colors, more sharpness, and as if the proportion of what is represented in it was extremely faithful. The surprise happens in every song that I rediscover. Yesterday, especially, it was difficult to divide my attention with other activities, because I couldn't divert it from the auditions. I know that I don't have an exemplary room and system, but what I got by adding these € 49.00 to what I had already paid turned out to be very cost-effective and collaborated so that the level of satisfaction and performance reach an unprecedented level here .

Of course, since it's the same software, most improved, there were no changes in soundness, timbral aspects and balance that merit repair. The sonority is the same, rich, with an extremely complete harmonic body, which differs completely from the lean and apathetic sound of foobar2000, p. eg, and resembles JRiver, but with a much higher resolution and performance level. Improvements relate to how to play, with more spatiality, resolution, aeration, better trimming, etc., rather than to aspects that are capable of changing the course of a system or requiring some (re)adaptation or overcorrection. I highly recommend you try it out. It may seem complex, but it isn't, at the end.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Felipe, have you tried the JPlay via Roon vs HQplayer via Roon.  I am configured HQPlayer via Roon.  I would like to dump the Roon subscription service. Does JPlay server work as Roon and find my music library on my nas and in my server.  I also use Qobuz and Tidal a lot.  Does JPlay server continue to shape the sound when streaming those services. 

I would probably go the server route as I have a Mojo Audio server on my rack and a control computer network attached with Blue Jean cables through a Liner Solution OCXO switch 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 3:08 AM, KingRex said:

Felipe, have you tried the JPlay via Roon vs HQplayer via Roon.  I am configured HQPlayer via Roon.  I would like to dump the Roon subscription service. Does JPlay server work as Roon and find my music library on my nas and in my server.  I also use Qobuz and Tidal a lot.  Does JPlay server continue to shape the sound when streaming those services. 

I would probably go the server route as I have a Mojo Audio server on my rack and a control computer network attached with Blue Jean cables through a Liner Solution OCXO switch 

Let ne answer this

You can add multiple drives to the music library in JPLAY femtoServer.  They will be listed separately. 

Yes, JPLAY FEMTO improves SQ of Titdal/Qobuz the same way as with local files.

Regards,
Marcin 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Well, i was messing around with programs and crashed my server.  Dont add/remove without running the AO service tool.  It ate so much I reset the server and started over.  I was all ready to install JPlay and Ben with Mojo Audio convinced me to switch to Linux.  He says a dozen or more customers have gone the way I went and in the end tried his linux program and loved it.  So, it looks like I wont get to try JPlay.  He did say I might get a slight bump in performance over Roon HQ, but its not much of a change.  Anyhow ,his setup is Roon based so Im stuck with that setup.  Thanks for the input. 

So, did you make a choice based on the guidance of people most likely financially interested in your change and have you decided that this is the best option without even listening to the others? I cannot believe that in the heat of 2019 people seeking to extract performance from their own systems can act this way, simply close their eyes and take a step forward. This forum is full of financially interested people, which doesn't make it a reliable source for research. If you don't listen, you will never know the truth.

Knowledge is never wasted.

6 hours ago, FelipeRolim said:

So, did you make a choice based on the guidance of people most likely financially interested in your change and have you decided that this is the best option without even listening to the others? I cannot believe that in the heat of 2019 people seeking to extract performance from their own systems can act this way, simply close their eyes and take a step forward. This forum is full of financially interested people, which doesn't make it a reliable source for research. If you don't listen, you will never know the truth.

Knowledge is never wasted.

Why do you have such a hard time accepting that some people like Linux for Audio,
Let people decide for themselves without having to talk shit about their choice !!

I love the way Femto sounds (or doesn't sound) Although I have connectivity issues I eventually will resolve it. One this I would love to see is if I could use Roon with it.

VPI Classic II Benz Micro, Emotiva ERC-3, Auralic Vega, Modwright LS100 Pre, Wells Audio Inamorata, GR Research H Frame Sub, TWL, Transparent Audio, WyWire, MIT etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Marcin,

After offering this link, you proceed to trash the SQ of this combination in comparison with using Femtoserver.  One of the best (most expensive?) servers on the planet - the SGM Extreme, uses Roon for library management and control and Jplay for playback as their preferred, default playback.  Their machine is aimed at NOS DACs.  They don't mention use of a plug-in (e.g., Squeeze2Unpn) to achieve compatibility between Roon and Jplay.  Please tell us what they are doing differently to achieve what, in their opinion, is the best sound to go with the best library managment?  Thanks!

Kind Regards,
Rick

Mach2 server, Datatale external SSDs, all on battery power, Stahltek Vekian DAC,[br]Pathos InPol2 Integrated, Leedh Nazca, Magnan wire.

1 hour ago, pianoguy said:

Please tell us what they are doing differently to achieve what, in their opinion, is the best sound to go with the best library managment?  

Maybe better to contact Taiko Audio directly via taikoaudio.com

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Perhaps, but it's Mr. O's terrific software, and its hard to imagine anyone else understanding how best to talk to it.  I think it would be in the interests of all CA folks to understand the different ways of coupling the arguably the worlds best library management with the worlds best (windows- based) player!

Mach2 server, Datatale external SSDs, all on battery power, Stahltek Vekian DAC,[br]Pathos InPol2 Integrated, Leedh Nazca, Magnan wire.