IGNORED

Apple unveils new Mac Mini, iPad Pro, and MacBook Air

Really looking forward to the new Mac Mini - I currently host Roon, iTunes, and JRiver MC on an older Mini (which works well), but it begins to stutter with HQPlayer at DSD256 and above.

I can't recall what @Miska has said in the past - would HQPlayer run better with the 3.6GHz quad core model or the 3.0GHz six core model?  i.e., are clock cycles more important than cores, or vice versa?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

The Mac Mini is a full fledged desktop machine now (if you can live with external graphics card).  I don't think the pricing is too crazy for Apple.  I am more surprised by an entry configuration iPad Pro at $799.  Clearly the strategy of increasing ASP applies to their entire product line. 

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

have you seen the pricing on new Mac Mini??

Good thing I already got the 2014 mac Mini with 1TB HDD. There is no way in Hell that I am going to pay $2,399 for a 2TB SSD version (aka the new Mini that starts at $799)!!!!!

A good $1700 to $2000 would be better spent (and will soon) on a Shunyata Venom PS8 power conditioner with Venom Defender, a Shunyata Delta NR power cable, and the set of 4 iso feet (Shunyata) designed for Venom or Hydra power cond./distrib.

They weren't kidding that the new mac Minis would be purely professional applications!!

10 hours ago, rickca said:

The Mac Mini is a full fledged desktop machine now (if you can live with external graphics card).  I don't think the pricing is too crazy for Apple.  I am more surprised by an entry configuration iPad Pro at $799.  Clearly the strategy of increasing ASP applies to their entire product line. 

It was a full-fledged desktop machine in the past too. I used a Mac mini as my desktop Mac for a couple of years. The problem is that they hadn't updated it for four years. I'm still using my late 2011 Mac mini as a media server, and probably won't upgrade until it dies, but the specs on the new one are very nice. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

6 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

@audiophile65 Why would you need a 2TB SSD in a Mac Mini? You can get that and more on an external for a lot less. I have a 2011 Mini still running at home on a 60GB OWC SSD.

Exactly. You'd be foolish to pay for 2 TB internal unless you plan to do serious work on that machine. An external SSD, even with USB-3, is more than fast enough for a media server. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

9 hours ago, kirkmc said:

Exactly. You'd be foolish to pay for 2 TB internal unless you plan to do serious work on that machine. An external SSD, even with USB-3, is more than fast enough for a media server. 

Right - my existing Mini has 256GB of flash storage, but only about 60GB used for OS and assorted applications (e.g., iTunes, JRiver MC, Roon, etc.).  I could easily have gotten by with a 128 (or even 64!).

I saw a write-up on Darko's site today about how a fully-loaded Mini would be over $4k.  I guess that's true, but who would ever put in 64GB of RAM, a 2TB SSD, and 10Gb Ethernet for a music server?  The configuration I'm craving would be the top CPU (i.e., the six-core i7) with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD.  That'd do me just fine ;)

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

3 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Right - my existing Mini has 256GB of flash storage, but only about 60GB used for OS and assorted applications (e.g., iTunes, JRiver MC, Roon, etc.).  I could easily have gotten by with a 128 (or even 64!).

I saw a write-up on Darko's site today about how a fully-loaded Mini would be over $4k.  I guess that's true, but who would ever put in 64GB of RAM, a 2TB SSD, and 10Gb Ethernet for a music server?  The configuration I'm craving would be the top CPU (i.e., the six-core i7) with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD.  That'd do me just fine ;)

What do you have on there?  I am using 34.4GB (I just checked) on mine, that's the OS and as few apps as possible.

No electron left behind.

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

What do you have on there?  I am using 34.4GB (I just checked) on mine, that's the OS and as few apps as possible.

Thanks for prompting - I never paid much attention as I had so much space left ;) but thought I'd check it out.

Main culprits:

System                                 39.99GB

Documents                            6.71GB

Applications                          6.64GB

GarageBand Sound Library 2.49GB

I did a little cleanup and was able to get it down to:

System                                 37.32GB

Documents                            1.50GB

Applications                          1.50GB

GarageBand Sound Library 0.00GB

That's about as low as I could go - final usage is about 41GB with latest macOS (Mojave) and 16GB RAM.

20 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

@audiophile65 Why would you need a 2TB SSD in a Mac Mini? You can get that and more on an external for a lot less. I have a 2011 Mini still running at home on a 60GB OWC SSD.

Well, an external SSD would be an option to consider. I can always consider that at a later time and use it with my 2014 Mac Mini. I wonder if anyone here has a 2014 Mini and if they use an ext. SSD?

The only reason I mention all the Shunyata stuff is because they are all I need to finally get my system up and running/burned in optimally.

1 hour ago, jhwalker said:

Thanks for prompting - I never paid much attention as I had so much space left ;) but thought I'd check it out.

Main culprits:

System                                 39.99GB

Documents                            6.71GB

Applications                          6.64GB

GarageBand Sound Library 2.49GB

I did a little cleanup and was able to get it down to:

System                                 37.32GB

Documents                            1.50GB

Applications                          1.50GB

GarageBand Sound Library 0.00GB

That's about as low as I could go - final usage is about 41GB with latest macOS (Mojave) and 16GB RAM.

My 2011 Mini is still on High Sierra

System:                                                    19.54GB

iOS files(which are now gone)                3.45GB

Apps:                                                           1.36GB

and Other Volumes                                   2.81GB

for some reason my Free Space went down...  I don't get it. Whatever Apple is doing with "Free Space" and "Purgable Space" makes no sense.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, audiophile65 said:

Well, an external SSD would be an option to consider. I can always consider that at a later time and use it with my 2014 Mac Mini. I wonder if anyone here has a 2014 Mini and if they use an ext. SSD?

I use an Oyen Digital MiniPro RAID V2 with mine.  

Main System: Mac mini (Audirvana+, MMK, JS-2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1) -> Icron 2201 (Rex LPS-1.2) -> ISO Regen (LPS-1.2) -> Ayre QB-9 Twenty -> Headamp GS-X Mk2 -> Classe CT-M600 -> KEF Reference 201/2

21 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

did you let the OS turn on file compression ?

I'm not aware of this option - I know there is a file compression option in Windows, but I don't recall seeing in OS X or macOS, certainly not in many years.

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

That's for individual files / folders, not the file system, per se.  I guess you COULD compress your boot disk, but I've never seen that be anything but a hassle.

I also don't encrypt my boot disk, as my computer is never outside my house, and there's nothing on it anyone would want, in any case ;)