IGNORED

"Click" sounds on DSD128

I have no issues with pcm 16/44.1 -> 24/192 or DSD64. But on DSD128 I get small popping sounds or "clicks" every 10-20 seconds through the entire album. If I convert the file to DSD64 it is gone. Anyone who has any idea on where and how to find the source of this?

I use a 4 years old PC 8GB laptop with AMD processor (only for music), Windows 10, JRiver MC24, Transparent USB cable to my Aesthetix Romulus Signature CD/DAC.

Your pieces of advice are most welcome on how to proceed to find the source for this.

I don't see anything about the support of DSD playback in the specifications for your DAC section (Pandora). Is JRiver converting DSD to PCM on the fly? In fact, it doesn't look like your DAC is able to support PCM above 192KHz. If JRiver is converting DSD256 to PCM, your DAC needs to support sampling frequencies of 704 KHz (I think). At any rate, much higher than 192KHz. Can you set JRiver to convert all DSD to 176.4KHz?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

i think it's a Dac-usb-driver Problem.

can you Chance/increase the output-buffer of the Dac-driver?

normally size is 2048,try 4096 maybe it helps?

Gigabyte-GA-Z97 Sniper with separate usb-dac out,5v usb-power disabeld in Bios. i3 4130T(35 W)@800mhz,16gb ram@800mhz @1.25v. Cpu+Ram powered by Pico-160w+Voltcraft Lab.PSU.

Cpu-Fan+Music Hdd with 2 separate  LPsu. JLsounds Dac-Kit: USB-I2S XMOS-board+ AK4490 DAC+DVR603 FB+2 JLS LPSU. Player: wtfplay and Daphile

Tubeamp: Lua 4040 C . LS: Chario Academy II. Conections/Filters: Reson DNM / Fisch Audio.

9 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

I don't see anything about the support of DSD playback in the specifications for your DAC section (Pandora). 

You have to look into the Romulus/Pandora Signature edition. Highest DSD rate is DSD128 and JRiver transfer it as DoP.

True Native DSD
Romulus and Pandora Signature offer true native DSD 1x and 2x functionality over USB and 1x DSD over SPDIF (AES/EBU, RCA Coax and TosLink). The entire DSP processing section is replaced (pictured above, click to enlarge). The new section includes an advanced Xilinx gate-array which allows the DSP to be completely bypassed for pure DSD 1x and 2x operation. No alteration of DSD data occurs. Many DACs in the market that claim to play DSD actually convert the data to PCM and thereby completely lose the purpose of DSD operation.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments. The latest update on this "glitches issue" is that I've been in contact with Jim White at Aesthetix. Jim says that they have mainly worked with Mac but for sure it should alsonwork in the PC world. They will make test using JRiver, Windows10 and see if the get the same issues. So for now the status is "wait and see".