IGNORED

$100 DAC For Aging & Reticent Giftee

This started with a Sprint subscription to Tidal I forced a family member to use (It is almost never off now).  More accurately when some A/V equipment finally gave up the ghost necessitating a new solution.  As somewhat of a stocking stuffer I thought about getting a cheap portable DAC they couldn't refuse on grounds of being too nice for what they need.  Between satellite tv, cell phone, and computer/ipad they always have something playing.  The issue here is if they can be convinced to use a DAC and if this will actually improve sound enough to be worth doing so.  A headphone amp capable of driving some Bose noise cancelling headphones seems to be a fairly standard feature on this type of product.  Air travel would be a prime reason for going portable and USB or battery powered.  Once there they can easily hook it up to their phone and some speakers.  

I started off looking at a private seller trying to move a NIB Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 when the idea was still just to hide it behind some consumer appliance or another and see if they noticed a difference.  Amir's review of the new Schiit Modi 3 ? and WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board was where I left off last night.  At some point in between those iFi nano iDSD LE and the Korg DS-DAC-100M (Thanks @beerandmusic) popped up in my searches.  Since the chance of this item ending up back in my hands is undetermined.  I'm going to let SQ be the determining factor.  After scouring the net for new, used, unreleased, DIY, or otherwise I'm very open to suggestions or pointers towards an option better than I have listed.  Or direct input on how likely something is to crap out.

Right now I'm inclined to go with the Korg and set up their proprietary player software that upsamples everything to DSD.  Then move their interests over to Qobuz and silently replace mp3's with lossless files.

An excellent suggestion I should've noted why I didn't include.  Justified fears a hard mounted USB device would die an early death due to trying to live permanently poking out the side of a laptop.  A corded 'gadget' that fits in the hand is probably a much better solution here.  

Without getting too far into it.  I never even considered that form factor for them to start off with.  Flash drives on a tether truly live the hardest life.

Among the ideas I had was something outdated that looked presentable and substantial for home use only.  Valuation on most of these is still quite high and that's fine.  The stigma of something like a bottom spec Modi actually making music sound worse is a real killjoy though.  Could care less how low the noise floor is if the processed music sounds stepped on and kicked around.  I realize this is a low interest subject so I'll probably just buy the Korg in lieu of some hint the options aren't selfsame equivalents with slightly varied features.

I have a Korg DS-DAC-10R (same dac as their DAC-100), iFi iOne, and Sabaj Da2. If it's sound quality you're after, definitely get the Korg.

For OTG connection to a mobile phone, the Sabaj is fantastic. The Sabaj with an iFi iPurifier is pretty nice for home use too, but still not up to Korg level.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

@audiobomber  Thanks for your feedback.   I ordered the 100m today.  For the price it will be hard to beat if it does offer a pleasant step up in SQ.  Interested to see what sort of improvements I can effect on a USB powered device of this stature.  Have you noticed any quirks or sensitivities to cable or device worth noting?

For reference here is how the boards differ between the 10R and 100m.

10R                                                                                          10m

TpDY.ds_dac_10r_board_rgb_jpg.jpg          YXWFQDa.jpg

On 10/25/2018 at 4:19 AM, rando said:

The stigma of something like a bottom spec Modi actually making music sound worse is a real killjoy

This was poorly expressed.  Technology has had many phases and levels of implementation in consumer appliances.  On a modern laptop or desktop the level of electronics needed to improve upon sound or video quality may not equate to the current lower price quality options.  Moreover any of them might be a poor match for a given source.  The multiple levels of slant implied above didn't further discussion.  I might decide to do a fair and realistic comparison with Modi3 or iFi nano iDSD LE since there should be plenty of time.

I left out a word in my original post. I meant to say, "Korg DS-DAC-10R (same dac chip as their DAC-100). By the time I noticed, it was too late to edit. Of course the two units are different, the 10R contains an ADC.

2 hours ago, rando said:

Have you noticed any quirks or sensitivities to cable or device worth noting?

I've experimented with USB cables and power supplies (SMPS, LPS and power bank) and they definitely make a difference. An iPurifier2 helps when I use the Korg with a laptop. Connected to an sMs-200, the iPurifier gets in the way. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

No misunderstanding you have a 10r.  I asked because I plan to throw the 100m at a number of sources and it sounds like all three versions are sensitive to true USB 2.0 input.  Which any new phone and most mb's lack nowadays.  

Thank you again for your input.  

It looks like I'm a little late to provide any input since you've already made a purchase, but I bought the SMSL iDEA after reading @Archimago's test report:

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html

Here is SMSL's page on it, including detailed pics of internals, etc.:

http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=133

I bought mine from Amazon for around $85 nearly a year ago, and I've been very happy with it.  I've used it with a variety of headphones, including my KEF M400 on-ears, KEF M200 in-ears, NAD VISO HP50 over-ears, and Koss Pro4S over-ears.  It drives all of them easily (I doubt that any of my headphones are difficult loads, of course!).  I mostly listen to wide-dynamic range classical and opera, but also older vocal jazz (Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan, Peggy Lee), and a little pop/rock (Mariah Carey, Chris Isaak, Heart).  No problems with anything I've thrown at it, even 'classic' Danzig (Mother and other tracks lol) for testing/laughs haha!

It has the ESS Sabre ES9018Q2C.

As small and portable as you can get, and fantastic for use with a phone and for airplane travel.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

The SMSL Idea is identical to the Sabaj Da2 mentioned above. I suspect that Sabaj is the manufacturer and SMSL is a distributor. SMSL pricing is higher, which allows for markup and, unlike Sabaj, SMSL sells products that are unrelated to audio.

It is an amazing little machine and is sometimes referred to as a DFR killer.

11 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

It looks like I'm a little late to provide any input since you've already made a purchase, but I bought the SMSL iDEA after reading @Archimago's test report:

Normally I don't venture outside CA.  For instance Amir's DAC tests linked above were the first time I'd navigated to his site.  Without direct mention here I would never have unearthed the SMSL/Sabaj device on his or Archimago's sites.  So I appreciate feedback from both of you who have mentioned this tiny device.  I liked that at least one of the two companies includes three separate cords to handle the spectrum of inputs.  For headphone use this might be the happy point between SQ and issues devices this size are prone to (being lost or shorting out).  Using the amplified output on a Dragonfly/iDEA/Da2 with powered speakers or into an amp is asking for the latter? 

Not that it makes any difference when doing a sighted evaluation against onboard sound.  Seeing Archimago or Amir test the 100m would have been interesting still.  The miniaturization and low cost of these devices doesn't allow for much in the way of advanced protection circuitry or isolation.  Either one of them would've teased out any technical flaws present in their testing.  I'm not expecting miracles from something roughly five time cheaper than the 10r.  Being pleasantly surprised when it shows up would be a good outcome. 

Amir tested the SMSL iDEA against the Dragonfly Black here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-smsl-idea-and-audioquest-dragonfly-black-dacs.2397/

I found his tests after I had already purchased the DAC based on @Archimago's thorough testing and review.

I use mine most often with headphones, but I also connect it to a Denon AVR-2805 receiver (made in Japan, and it's been a reliable delight since I bought it in 2005) to power the KEF LS50s on my desktop, and I've had no complaints.  But then, I'd probably be considered more of a "music lover" than "audiophile," if that matters haha.

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

Hmm, that is a considerably different use case than source > DAC/amp > powered speakers (Re-read the first post).  I'd expect a large receiver to be capable of handling out of variance input signals with maybe a slight performance hit from optimal.  At some point years ago I actually had a working knowledge of this type of stuff.  Enough to still register concern about questionable mixtures that could potentially void the nicer appliance using a normally safe USB connection.  Which may or may not be a concern here?  

I will continue looking into these OTG phone DAC.  They almost have to be a better second option for this person than an outdated Bel Canto "Pipe Bomb" DAC (or similar).  x-D

9 hours ago, rando said:

I liked that at least one of the two companies includes three separate cords to handle the spectrum of inputs. 

The Da2 I ordered from Amazon.ca came exactly as shown the photo on Archimago's website; same box, three short USB cables. The only difference was  the print, Sabaj vs. SMSL.

PS I have to correct my impression of the iPurifier2. Used with a laptop and the Korg 10R, it degrades the SQ. I did like it with the Sabaj, because it softens the Da2's slightly hard sound. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up but I'll wait for North America to roll out the update. No rush, because I don't use Audiogate at all. I find it a bit clunky and quite limited. As far as I can see, Audiogate doesn't do anything I can't do with my other, more versatile, programs.