IGNORED

Article: AURALiC ARIES G2 Review

It is clear that Auralic put some focus on improving the USB output of this piece--since that how many (most) people will be attaching it to a DAC.  In one of the photos you took, it is clear that they derive their DAC-intented USB output by going XMOS > SMSC hub chip > Silanna galvanic isolator chip > further unknown (under white strips) USB processor (most likely another hub chip), with reasonably low-jitter clock.

It's like a built-in ISO REGEN or iGalvanic.  Nice. :D

2131219127_AriesG2USBstage.thumb.jpg.4b7a6be01c8d0ae95c26122a17d721f7.jpg

34 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

Even my DACs have more (RME ADI-2)...

Tell me when they have routing and mixing with generic convolution engine that can run at native DSD rates. I want to run digital room correction and loudspeaker cross-overs to 8-channel DAC plus headphone 3D processing.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Even my DACs have more (RME ADI-2)...

Tell me when they have routing and mixing with generic convolution engine that can run at native DSD rates. I want to run digital room correction and loudspeaker cross-overs to 8-channel DAC plus headphone 3D processing.

Probably not the product for you. A PC suits you just fine. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Found another photo of the G2's USB output stage (the one labeled for DAC connection):

auralic-aries-g2-streaming-transporter.thumb.jpg.96e14580cab6d4833e9889168a9c7461.jpg

The TI hub chip in the used is the exact same USB 3.1 model we chose (for best signal integrity) for the ISO REGEN long ago.  Great minds think alike. 9_9 Guess we won't plan on Auralic G2 owners ordering our widget. B|

The G2 really does look like an terrific--and fair priced--feature-packed unit. I've always been impressed with the company--and products--that the two Mr. Wangs have built.

@The Computer Audiophile, will you also be reviewing the new Vega G2 DAC?

Chris, would you say this is the best renderer/streamer you've tried? Or you can't make a fair comparison?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

John Darko has a video on the G1 with an interesting comparison to the Wyred4sound streamers. At the end, the wyre4sound is more expensive and better.  The technical differences between the G1 and G2 don't look huge, so  I don't know how the G2 can be much better than the G1 at an almost double price. 

18 minutes ago, Cortes said:

The technical differences between the G1 and G2 don't look huge, so  I don't know how the G2 can be much better than the G1 at an almost double price. 

Agree,

a German manufacturer who replaces the power supplies of G1 and G2 with better ones found only small SQ differences between both.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Xuanqian Wang’s (aka: “Mr. Auralic”) take on SQ differences between Auralic models:

“Galvanic isolation contributes a lot to sound quality because they isolate the digital noise generated by processing circuit. There is no galvanic isolation in either ARIES G1 or VEGA G1 so the sound quality of G1 are not comparable to G2, only software features are the same.

My personal rating of the sound quality for different devices are as below:

For USB output:

ARIES MINI: 100%
ARIES (Femto): 120%
ARIES G1: 140%
ARIES G2: 240%

For digital outputs:

ARIES MINI: 100%
ARIES (Femto): 110%
ARIES G1: 120%
ARIES G2: 300%”

24 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Have you compared sound quality from internal SSD vs external sources?

AFAIK, the Auralic CEO said on his own forum that it is better to store music elsewhere outside the G2.

Besides that, ask @barrows what he thinks about placing a SSD inside the Signature Rendu.

Matt

The entire point of using Ethernet to distribute audio, is to get the noisy commercial computer gear away from he audio system, to the point where it can do no harm to the sound quality.  The reason Sonore renderer products exist, is specifically to get the high powered, commercial computer gears, including, but not limited to storage mediums and complete computer systems away from the audio system, otherwise, Sonore would still be making full featured servers with onboard storage, etc.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

4 hours ago, matthias said:

Agree,

a German manufacturer who replaces the power supplies of G1 and G2 with better ones found only small SQ differences between both.

Matt

That statement isn’t really meaningful. A swedish guy I know said the difference is huge. That’s just a joke but saying what someone else says doesn’t really carry much weight. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That statement isn’t really meaningful. A swedish guy I know said the difference is huge. That’s just a joke but saying what someone else says doesn’t really carry much weight. 

You are right.

The best is to make comparisons by yourself and report accordingly.

Thanks for the advice.

Matt