IGNORED

Looking for "media transport" recommendations

I've got a need that doesn't seem to fit well into any of the equipment forums. I'm looking for a device that I'll call a "media transport" rather than a media player (by analogy to the distinction between CD transports and CD players). 

Requirements:
- Minimum 2TB network-accessible redundant storage

- Feed an audio bitstream  from that storage directly to my DAC/preamp over coax or USB
- Controlled by an Android app that ideally would offer control via directory browsing based on file & directory names or tag based playback.

The device I'm currently using for this fuctionality is an Oppo UDP-205 (set to "bitstream")  over coax with a (non-redundant) 2TB portable drive attached via USB. Oppo will not be making any more disc players and I'm looking for some equivalent for future audio needs. Media players and network renderers (like the very attractive Sonore) are pretty common, but I don't want the DAC & I want my sources to be local. Does anyone know of any hardware that will do just what I want and no more?

If I have to build it myself I can do that and corresponding suggestions are welcome, but I'm old and lazy and would prefer an off-the-shelf solution if any are available.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I think many nas boxes with run audio software. you just need to find one with the functionality you like. You could so this with a vortexbox which is pretty much turnkey

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/

. But bascially this is a software question IMHO. Any computer device with a hard drvie and a usb out will do it.  It just needs to run some software which can be contrled by android

You are not a sound quality measurement device

Two easiest options I can think of both start with an NAS.  

1)  Run Minimserver on the NAS (my QNAP came with the app).  On an Android phone/tablet run Bubbleupnp.  Works pretty well and I use it to feed my Oppo 103.

2) Run Roon on the NAS...takes a bit more to setup but directions online are very straightforward.  On the Android device run Roon Remote.  The Roon software will cost extra vs Minimserver but is very straight forward and the software for the server and controller come from the same company.  Might need an extra SSD on the NAS to load Roon Server...makes it go faster.

RPi is a good option but I, personally, am loathe to muck around with Linux.  I read that it is very straightforward but my paradigm is set.  An NAS feeding a Sonore Ultrarendu is an option but HW costs start adding up.

You could also find an NOS Squeezebox Touch (SBT).  SB is no longer but the server software is still being developed.  You will need a computer to run the server or an NAS that comes with server software (Logitech Media Server - LMS); I think Synology better than QNAP in this regard.  This has been a fairly reliable setup for years but I find it getting more finicky lately...I wonder if it is all the updates in Windows are causing issues.

Some of this will depend on what DAC/Preamp you have and the software that it works with.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Adamdea, Thanks for pointing out that there are component musicserver boxes with direct outputs over coax/usb. Should have checked on that myself. I can just not use the network server and should be fine. I'm in the US & Aurender is looking pretty good, but I'll have to check on the details.

jcbenten, Thanks for the suggestions. I probably should have been more explicit in my original message. My goal is to keep the playback chain as simple as possible (which has audible benefits) and that means getting the network out of the playback process. Sonore is an attractive way to cope with the network, but it's simpler to just get the network out of the playback process completely.

14 minutes ago, LudwigX said:

jcbenten, Thanks for the suggestions. I probably should have been more explicit in my original message. My goal is to keep the playback chain as simple as possible (which has audible benefits) and that means getting the network out of the playback process. Sonore is an attractive way to cope with the network, but it's simpler to just get the network out of the playback process completely.

Then I would get a look at the Naim Uniti systems.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers