IGNORED

Audio Techinca AT2020

So i Bought Audiotechnica AT2020 it came with no cable.I didnt know what cable i should bought so i just bought 

TISINO 3m unbalanced 3.5mm TRS stereo plug to XLR female cable connects professional microphone with camcorders DSLR cameras computer recording device

And it doesnt work do i really need to buy an mixer???

The AT 2020 spec. sheet indicates XLR cable connection to the microphone.   What, exactly, do you want to plug the AT 2020 into?

Recorder?   Camera?  Something else?    Most home audio system run XLR to XLR.   

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Note as well that the AT2020 requires phantom power, typically 48VDC.

Toshiba Satellite P300 laptop--Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit--M2TECH hiFace USB-S/PDIF interface-->coaxial output cable-->

MacBook Pro--Sierra--optical output cable-->

Raspberry Pi 2--Pixel--USB output cable-->

Simaudio MOON 100D DAC (USB, coaxial and optical connections in use)--Yamaha RX-V640 receiver

--Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 (with NOS Raytheon 5670)--used as bypassable vacuum tube preamp stage--Topping TP60 stereo power amplifier--one pi bass reflex speakers--homebuilt--plans from Wayne at pispeakers.com

--QSC model 5.1 stereo power amplifier--ACI Rage 12" subwoofer in homebuilt sealed 2 ft^3 enclosure

--Denon AH-A100 headphones

You will need a mic cable (XLR Female end to XLR Male end), a Mic Pre-Amp and an Audio Input on your computer.

Something like the ART Tube MP

https://www.amazon.com/ART-Tube-Project-Microphone-Preamp/dp/B000K6B59Y/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1539796073&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=art%2Btube%2Bmp&psc=1&smid=A2LXBKOLL3J3K6

or the Tube MP USB, although the reviews say that it kind of sucks.

https://www.amazon.com/ART-Tube-MP-Project-USB/dp/B000G1E59U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1539796073&sr=8-4&keywords=art%2Btube%2Bmp&dpID=41iVRi6LCBL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Then you would get a cable that goes from 1/4" to your computer Mic Input which is probably 3.5mm.

Problems... Pro-gear uses a different output level then Consumer gear, so their may be a sound level issue recording into your PC. Some of the Mic-Preamps do have switches to set the reference level.

OR You could get a usb-audio interface like the Steinburg below.

https://www.amazon.com/Steinberg-UR22MKII-2-Channel-USB-Interface/dp/B017MVUAHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539796413&sr=8-1&keywords=steinburg&dpID=41NuXCXoVGL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

The Steinburg has a Mic-Pre and USB, so it does all the Mic Pre-amp work and all the conversion for you without worrying about multiple boxes. This one has 2 mic inputs in case you'd like to live record stereo sound.

Yes, your AT2020 will be a better mic then the cheap direct USB mics.

TOM...