IGNORED

What gear do you love?

Ajax

Hi All,

I'm interested in finding out what gear CA members have purchased over their HiFi journey that have given them immense pleasure. I'm sure we have all purchased kit that has either sounded great, greatly improved the rest of our system, provided great features or was a bargain etc.

This is not up for judgement - it's what YOU like, so those that feel the need to judge others and tell them that their gear must "suck" because it is digital or whatever please refrain from posting. This thread is not for you.

My all time favourite gear in rough order of enjoyment has been -

Auralic Mini - I installed a 500G SSD drive inside the Mini and downloaded my favourite music files. I also stream Tidal and Spotify Connect. I power the Mini with an SBooster LPS and manage my sources via the now excellent lighting DS app on an iPad sitting on my coffee table. Excellent sound quality, great features and ease of use make this a true HiFi bargain.

Devialet 200 - With the Mini as it's source (via the USB input) I split the signal between my ATC SCM speakers and dual SVS SB 2000 12" subs using its internal active crossover. A very minimalistic and WAF friendly system. Better still it excels with good old CD quality files so Tidal and my local music sound superb.

Benchmark DAC1 HDR feeding Adam A7 Active Speakers - this has been my office system for the past 8 years and it still sounds superb. Benchmark Media is a great company making great gear. 

What pice of gear do you really like?

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

purchased (speakers): DCM Time Windows, Vandersteens, AR, Advent, Magneplanar (the little box speakers in the bedroom system are surprisingly good)

purchased (electronics): Audio Research pre-amp (tho my old Sonic Frontiers is not bad), Dynaco

not purchased: Accuphase "stuff"

Revel Ultima Gem speakers

Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 preamp

Sonore Ultrarendu

GIK Acoustic room treatments

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

My Exposure 3010S2 integrated amp.

Well done old-fashioned UK hifi gear as it should be, no nonsense, pretty much all discrete electronics, more than enough power, at a sensible price point, with so much PRAT in the sound that you just never get bored. So I can go back focusing on the music, as it should be.

exposure.jpg

https://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/exposure-3010s2-pound;1495/20185

1537211-exposure-3010s2-integrated-amp.j

Thanks Ralf, David, Blake & Musicophile for your contributions. I think that we can learn a lot from each other when there is no "justification" attached to what we like. What we like is what we like.

I'm really interested in gear you have actually purchased that has given you a real buzz and why e.g. jump in sound quality, features, usability, bargain price.....

I've been buying high quality equipment now for 35 years staring in 1983 with my first "real" system consisting of a Linn Sondek LP12 turntable, Naim Nait amp and Linn Kann speakers. The resolution and clarity of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" bloo me away, albeit lacking in base.

After 20 years lost in the wilderness in what I call the dark ages of "perfect" CDs, I found digital audio in the early 2000s. A few years later I had a fortunate meeting with a parent at my son's school, who happened to supply equipment to recording studios, led to the purchased of a Benchmark DAC1 HDR. Combined with Society of Sound as a source into Adam A7 active monitors and I was back loving music and HiFi again.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

but "sound quality, features, usability, bargain price" are all justifications - not sure what you are after here

BTW, I go for SQ, price first but also ergonomics and esthetics - for the former I nominate the knobs on ARC gear; for the latter, ARC is good but Accuphase might be the ultimate (for me)

as for price or SQ/price... I could buy anything but refuse to pay huge prices for minor increments in SQ (see also Audio Cheapskate)

I have the Adam A7 on my short list for my desktop system (tho the new tiny kef speakers might eclipse them)

i also hear there is a 'big' increment in SQ from the DAC2 over the DAC1...

I'm going to lump this all as a whole, each piece contributes in some way to my virtual stereo/surround system, and I'm immensely pleased with it.

Headphones: Audeze EL-8 or MrSpeakers Alpha Prime

DAC: Audio GD NFB 7

Amp: Audio GD NFB-1AMP

Transport: Uptone ISO Regen, Uptone LPS 1.2, Amanero usb to i2s with i2s isolator

Power: Topaz 91092-31

Bass shaker system

And Darin Fong's Out of Your Head

Loved my Conrad Johnson gear back in the day.

Every pair of Ls3/5a's I've owned.

Spendor BC-1, SP1, BC2, SP1/2, SP7, SP3/1.

Magnepans 1.6, MMG, 1.7, 3.6.

Vienna Acoustics Mozart.

All the Naim gear I've owned.

LP12's, Walker, Ariston turntables.

Musical Fidelity's first class A amps, the A1 and the A100.  Ran HOT but the sound with Spendor SP1's.....amazing.

David

On 10/18/2018 at 6:40 AM, Ralf11 said:

but "sound quality, features, usability, bargain price" are all justifications - not sure what you are after here

Hi Ralf,

"what I am after" is to learn what gear people are enjoying, and what is it about a particular piece of gear that they enjoy.... be it sound quality, features, functionality, price, ease of use or whatever. If possible a non judgemental thread where members can simply state what rocks their boat without fear of ridicule or criticism as there seems to be a growing need from some members to make derogative comments and judgment on others gear (e.g. digital sucks) and I just wanted to create a thread where people could simply state what they liked without fear of a "put down". What they like is what they like.

e.g. I like the Auralic Mini (with LPS) and USB out to a Devialet 200 as it provides me with: 

1. excellent sound quality via either the lossless files located on the SSD I installed or streaming from Tidal

2. ease of use as I have the Lighting DS control App installed on an old 2nd hand iPad sitting on my coffee table acting as a remote

3. minimalistic and simple - no huge boxes and masses of cables

4. functionality as my whole family can access it without any technical knowledge whatsoever by simply selecting "Living Room" as the device inside their Spotify app

I'm interested in "what" it is about their gear that CA members like, but not in the sense that they have to justify "why" they like it. This is for two reasons - a genuine interest in what other CA members like and also to also generate a list of potential gear for me to audition. There is a lot of expertise and experience available via CA and we can all learn from each other. 

With regard to the Adam 7As you are auditioning, they are IMO a great active speakers although now 10 years old. They were replaced by the A7X about 5 years ago (with a larger 7" woofer). My son (Harrison) uses them as monitors for his home recording studio. He is 19 and studying sound production and by chance mentioned to me just the other night that as his knowledge and listening abilities improve he is beginning to appreciate just how good a speaker they are. 

As an aside my friend, who I mentioned earlier, is also the Australian distributor of Apogee gear in Australia and he helped my son set up his home studio, which comprises a Rode NT1 microphone (in front of a audio reflective filter), feeding (via balanced XLR cables) an Apogee Duet Audio Interface (2 IN and 4 OUT USB audio interface) into a DAW ( comprising logic software on an old Mac mini) and then into the Adam A7s. We are currently in the process of improving his bedrooms acoustics installing diffusers and base traps. A simple, relatively inexpensive but high quality system. My son has just started his first business whereby he charges a very reasonable $100 per day to other students to record their work. Not a great hourly rate but he is learning a lot while providing a very sort after service. I'm really enjoying being able to help him with the knowledge I've gained from CA over the past 9 years. Great to have a joint interest and I'm unashamedly very proud of him.

Here is a sample of his work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjZSwuVgw1n/?taken-by=harrison_fricker

8 hours ago, maurice said:

For speakers: Linkwitz Lab

Without doubt, the best I have heard or owned since 1961

About $1000 U.S. is all that is required, why not put them to test

www.linkwitzlab.com

Hi Maurice,

I heard these in a really hostile acoustic environment, garage with brick walls and concrete floor, and they were stunning. Unfortunately we lost Mr Linkwitz just recently. Great engineer who wasn't afraid to think outside the box. These are on my audition list.

Thanks!

My jump to the SET/high-efficiency single-driver camp has been a revelation and provided more musical enjoyment than anything else I've cobbled together. Great sound quality and value. 

Decware SE84UFO

Omega Super 3i and DeepHemp 8 Subwoofer

1 hour ago, Melvin said:

My jump to the SET/high-efficiency single-driver camp has been a revelation and provided more musical enjoyment than anything else I've cobbled together. Great sound quality and value. 

Decware SE84UFO

Omega Super 3i and DeepHemp 8 Subwoofer

+1 for Omega Audio single driver crossover-less speakers. I have their 97db High Output Alnico floorstanders being driven by a 20 watt Linear Tube Audio tube amp.

My Audiophilia Nervosa is pretty much in remission currently and I am now going boldly into uncharted(by me) regions of music on Qobuz...

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I love my Ayre AX-5 Twenty integrated amp. I had to really stretch and save to afford it but it is such a great piece. Sounds sublime, reveals nuances in music I’ve heard dozens of times previously, and is engineered and built to a supreme quality level.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

ok, re: "sound quality, features, functionality, price, ease of use"

let me just single out my ARC pre-amp, an LS-25 Mk II - it has xlnt SQ (tho I have yet to test it directly against my Sonic Frontiers) and is highly euphonic (even order harmonics??) without being flabby at all

it has adequate inputs (functionality) and I find the knobs to be very ergonomic (I may have some bias from seeing them long ago when I was a starving grad. student), but they just seem to fit the hand well

ARC is not cheap but I got it used for 1/2 of retail

the remote is ok, but not the greatest - so that is one negative

for visual aesthetics, it is good but not great (IMO Accuphase rules the roost on visual aesthetics - a sure source of confirmation bias...)

I also like things that are cost-effective and classic - i.e it takes a long time for someone to improve on them - the AR turntable and list of my speakers above all fit that criterion too

Here's my list of favorites, to date, which I own now and have proven to be the best pieces that have been in my listening room:

Amps= Pass Labs XA60.8 Mono Blocks

DAC= Benchmark DAC3

Speakers= Magico S3

Speaker Cables= Kubala-Sosna's Elation

Network Streamer - Bricasti - M5

Power Conditioning - Shunyata Research Denali 6000T

Why I like this combo - The combo produces a sound so relaxing and yet so exciting all at the same time.

Relaxing in a sense that I can focus on doing something else other then critical listening but still fully appreciate the details of what I am hearing, even a low,low volumes.

Exciting in a sense that when I do decide to settle in and pay 100% attention it can rock the house without strain (despite the numerically small amplifier wattage rating), has details in spades and can recreate a very large and believable soundstage when called on.

I have no plans on changing a thing except adding a new Preamp...at some point..maybe

On 10/20/2018 at 10:47 AM, cjf said:

Here's my list of favorites, to date, which I own now and have proven to be the best pieces that have been in my listening room:

DAC= Benchmark DAC3

Speakers= Magico S3

Why I like this combo - The combo produces a sound so relaxing and yet so exciting all at the same time.

Relaxing in a sense that I can focus on doing something else other then critical listening but still fully appreciate the details of what I am hearing, even a low,low volumes.

Exciting in a sense that when I do decide to settle in and pay 100% attention it can rock the house without strain (despite the numerically small amplifier wattage rating), has details in spades and can recreate a very large and believable soundstage when called on.

I have no plans on changing a thing except adding a new Preamp...at some point..maybe

Hi cjf,

I've had a Benchmark DAC 1HDR for about 8 years and it has NEVER let me down. Benchmark Media is great company who are genuine engineers making great products from both a sound and build quality perspective.  When he measured the DAC 1 the results were "perfect" according to John Atkinson of Stereophile so I guess the DAC 3 must be more perfect! Great products, great service, great company.

One of the recent joys I am experiencing, that I didn't mention in my earlier blog, was the addition of a pair of SVS SB 2000 subs in support of my ATC SCM 40 speakers. In terms of increase in overall sound quality and pure enjoyment I don't think anything adds more immediate effect to a system than adding a pair of subs. When correctly synchronised with the mains they make the whole system (speakers) disappear and you just end up with a wall of sound. Fantastic.

@AjaxHello out there: my favorites are my pre multibit Schiit Gungnir DAC altho it now only plays at 44.1 or 48 Hz it used to be much higher(don't know why) and my Meridian Explorer 2 which plays at 176.4 or 196( if A+3 is correct and of course MQA).

Next are my Sennheiser HP's HD 598 and wireless RS 195

Next my Cambridge Soundworks (Henry Kloss's final company) speakers with Towers  Model 6's Ensemble S300 satellites and original Ensemble passive subwoofers in a quasi 7.1 arrangement but I also just do 2.1 and various DSP formats on my ancient Yamaha RX-V2500 AVR-various music halls Vienna Freiberg churches/cathedrals and the Bottom Line plus surround standard /enhanced Prologic Neo6 music PL 2 music PL 2x music

My favorite streaming is A+3 with Qobuz(and its great library) also less so TIDAL love ROON really like Deezer and Spotify and several 100 playlists from all these services that I easily transferred all to Qobuz via Soundiiz

All through my late 2012 Mac Mini 16 GB RAM AirPort Time Capsule Express 2TB tower for WiFi

I used to really love but hardly use /listen to any more my 800+ CD SACD DVD Audio collection(Which is now embedded/ripped in ROON A+3 TIDAL and Qobuz) via Yamaha  cd dvd dvda sacd changer C750 utilizing an Outlaw Audio ICBM-1 Bass Manager

I think it a pretty neat 'audiophile' system

bobbmd

I just got a Schiit Eitr a few weeks ago. Never have I had a piece of equipment so slap me across the face with the force of revelation. I am done with USB (unless it’s on a Schiit product — this is  the first one I’ve ever owned.)

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

On 10/20/2018 at 10:47 AM, cjf said:

DAC= Benchmark DAC3

Speakers= Magico S3

Serious gear - must sound wonderful.

With a system of that calibre I have often wondered how much more you would have to pay to hear a discernible increase in sound quality above the Benchmark DAC3, which is available on Amazon for only US$2,195.