IGNORED

Playing my music in the car, problems

I purchased a new car with Apple CarPlay.  All of my music is in iTunes and I have copied the library to my iPhone and my iPod touch.  The M ac computer and the two devices have the latest operating systems.

My iPhone 8plus works in the car, there is a special usb plug for smart phones.  But no other usb device can work when the iPhone is attached.  

There are also two usb plugs for other devices.  I tried my iPod Touch there.  This is where the problems arose.  When I would play my iPod in the car, there is no way to search and find albums and/or playlists.  The local auto sound store and the dealer's technician recommended using an usb stick.  I found one free software iMusic on line, it has one review from 9 months ago that is extremely negative.  Is there a way to transfer my library to a usb stick including playlist and albums?  Has anyone had success using a usb stick?  Do I need software to play the iTunes library in the car?

Thanks for any ideas and feedback

CarPlay is only compatible with iPhones, from the iPhone 5 to the present. I don't think it supports USB, though whatever basic music player app is in the device might (ie, CarPlay is grafted on to another company's entertainment device). 

(I don't have CarPlay yet, but I'm getting a car with it in December, so I've been looking into this, and discussing it with a friend who has it in his car.) 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Doug, thanks for the link.  I will certainly give it a try.

Kirk, you will both love and be frustrated with CarPlay.  The CarPlay usb connection in my car overrides all other usb devices that are connected.  I prefer Google Maps for my log drives, and occasionally WAZE.  Apple  has now allowed them to be part of the CarPlay home screen in the car.

To be honest, I wouldn't have wanted CarPlay if not for the fact that it can now use third-party map apps. Apple Maps is pretty bad here in the UK. But the advantage of having real-time maps, and good real-time traffic info, makes it a huge improvement over in-car GPS. I don't plan to connect any other USB devices than an iPhone, so I'm not worried about that. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I discovered this morning, that my iPhone will play my music over the car's bluetooth connection.  But like you, I'd rather use WAZE or Google maps instead of Apple's map.  I cannot do that without connecting the iPhone to the car with the smartphone usb plug.  When I do that, there is no album art with the music on the screen.  Apple and car manufacturers are not working together?

I will be awaiting  your experiences with CarPlay.  It does not show up as an app.  I see various apps on my iPhone on the car's screen and they respond to controls as if I were using them on the phone.  I can use blue tooth to listen to my music on the phone, but not WAZE or Apple Maps.  I can see messages when the phone is wired to the car (the only way CarPlay works in this car).  I can summon Siri and direct a call to a contact, that call is heard on bluetooth.  My problem is that when I connect the phone to the car by wire and initiate CarPlay, no other media device will work.  Not sure if this is Apple or the car's manufacturer.

On 10/17/2018 at 1:22 PM, cambridgehank said:

I have had success. I can play music from iPhone and iPod using Bluetooth. If I connect the iPhone with CarPlay, I can play music and WAZE. But search functions do not work on the iPhone using CarPlay. So to find an album, artist, or song I have to work on the phone which is dangerous. I am also using Doug’s app

I’m not sure what you mean. I’ve been using CarPlay for 3 years in a Honda Accord Touring 2016. Once CarPlay is connected via lightning connector then Bluetooth is disabled. I’ve used ITunes Match with 25,000 songs through CarPlay the entire time. 

You don’t have to work on the phone. You can use Siri or the CarPlay screen on the heads up display. 

Same with Spotify, Pandora or Amazon Music. 

My car has a voice command system.  For example, I can push the button and say show me music by Sly Stone  This does not work with the iPhone in car play. It does work when I have the usb stick and sometimes with the iPod Touch.. I can also tell it to search for an album or artist, but not when connected to CarPlay.  Hope that explains my issue.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:41 PM, DougAdams said:

Try my app M3Unify. It can copy files from iTunes to a USB stick (for example) named and arranged the way you like. There is a demonstration video also at that link that describes how it works.

Thanks, every thing is working to my satisfaction now.  I used M3Unify to move my library including playlist to a USB stick and play my music from that.  My iPhone works fine either bluetooth or wire connected.  The voice command works and I can search for music in the media function and I can direct the phone to make calls hands free.  I am happy with M3Unify, easy to use once I fooled around with it.  I have not had any problems with track, 12,800, that I burned or purchased from the iTunes Store.

AudioDoctor, I love your car.  The wife liked the E so guess which one we purchased.