IGNORED

Survey : Which one is better : vinyl or Native DSD256 ?

On 10/11/2018 at 9:34 AM, Dr Tone said:

Which ever has the better master.  Same master, DSD256 wins.

I like this as far as you went, but I would add that the playback system matters. A great turntable system certainly sounds better than a basic SACD player or computer audio system.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, Geeksterlab said:

I find the vinyl warmer than the DSD which is colder and flatter. the DSD is incredibly precise and perfect but quite cold and flat. the vinyl is imperfect, less precise but much warmer, more round.

Surely that has more to do with your playback systems than the medium? Cold and flat are not adjectives I would use to describe DSD, nor anything I have heard before. I sometimes hear a softness to DSD sound that I don't care for.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, Geeksterlab said:

I find the vinyl warmer than the DSD which is colder and flatter. the DSD is incredibly precise and perfect but quite cold and flat. the vinyl is imperfect, less precise but much warmer, more round.

just run your digital thru a vinylizer set to bump up the higher mids a bit...

and add some even order harmonic distortion (or - better - reduce all the odd order crap)

While native DSD256 is clearly superior in several ways, sadly nothing in my digital adventures have reached the sense of dynamic realism as my vinyl.

DSD/digital:

Custom PC + linear PSU + PP USS (battery) + isolated SSD (battery) -> HQPlayer/Roon -> Cyan DSD DAC

Vinyl:

Triangle Arts Concerto + upgraded platter + speed controller + TA Apollo MC +  periphery ring -> Lite Audio phono (quad matched NOS tubes + tube dampers)

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

While native DSD256 is clearly superior in several ways, sadly nothing in my digital adventures have reached the sense of dynamic realism as my vinyl.

nothing puts the psycho in psycho-acoustics like vinyl

IOW, I expect you can process your digital to get that sense of dynamic realism