IGNORED

Survey : Which one is better : vinyl or Native DSD256 ?

3 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Not a useful comparison since there have been no significant analog/vinyl recordings in decades.  Speaking of classical music.

Unlike the thousands of significant dsd256  recordings....

You are not a sound quality measurement device

On 10/11/2018 at 11:04 PM, jabbr said:

Ha ha. No one records to vinyl!

Not any more, but I have several direct-to-disc LP's.

Vinyl is dead, DSD is dying. PCM wins.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Not any more, but I have several direct-to-disc LP's.

Vinyl is dead, DSD is dying. PCM wins.

The exception that proves the rule. If direct to disc were viable then one could argue that it is the purest analog LP medium — alternatively playback 15 ips tape ;)

DSD256 recorders are more commonplace eg RME ADI-2, and even so most PCM recordings start out with an SDM converter ie DSD, and most DACs ultimately output SDM/DSD. 

Im just saying that a DSD256 recording played back as DSD256 is the least adulterated format in wide distribution.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

10 hours ago, jabbr said:

DSD256 recorders are more commonplace eg RME ADI-2, and even so most PCM recordings start out with an SDM converter ie DSD, and most DACs ultimately output SDM/DSD. 

Im just saying that a DSD256 recording played back as DSD256 is the least adulterated format in wide distribution.

Really? I thought most studios used PCM for recording.

Even when the recording studio does use PCM, I believe they mostly convert to PCM for mastering and for the final product, don't they. 

I have a Korg DS-DAC-10R that can record up to 192/24 or 5.6MHz DSD. I recorded my vinyl to 88/24. If I had recorded in DSD, I would not have been able to remove clicks and pops, separate tracks and tag the results. I would need to convert to PCM for processing, so what's the point?

I believe DSD is a superior format to vinyl, because LP's deteriorate even when used with care, and downloading is nice way to buy music. Also, one can achieve acceptable SQ at a much lower price with an SACD player or computer audio system vs. a good quality vinyl replay system. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

6 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Really? I thought most studios used PCM for recording.

Broadly SAR vs SDM ADCs and SDM tends to be used for audio even when the output is PCM. Similarly DACs tend to use SDM even when the input is PCM.

6 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

Even when the recording studio does use PCM, I believe they mostly convert to PCM for mastering and for the final product, don't they. 

Yes, just saying that SDM/DSD is more natural and involves less processing. Most, but not all, recording -> playback chains start life as SDM and end life as SDM.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On this site: https://www.nativedsd.com/, we find a lot of native DSD of good quality!

By the way, have you heard about laser vinyl turntables?

ELP CORPORATION is the designer, manufacturer of the famous laser vinyl turntable.

Made and assembled by hand in Japan, this product is one-of-a-kind.

ELP promises you an incredible immersion experience in the analog quality of your LPs.

The LT-Master, LT-Master EU, LT-Master ALL models will allow you to read and listen to all the information written on your discs without cracking, without breath (because no contact on the surface of your discs), without wear. .. A must have for any audiophile enthusiast of vinyl records.

Another great find for vinyl fans: the Disc Demagnetizer by ACOUSTIC REVIVE: http://acousticrevive.jp/portfolio-item/disc-demagnetizer/

12 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Even when the recording studio does use PCM, I believe they mostly convert to PCM for mastering and for the final product, don't they?

Sorry, here's what I meant to say: "Even when the recording studio does use DSD..."