IGNORED

How to Set Up my music SSD on Win 7 Network

My SSD is attached to my Router via Cat 6a Ethernet but when I tried to open the file using File Manager on my Windows 7 Pro Computer it wouldn’t allow me access.  Windows insisted I assign Windows Media Player or an alternative.  Having no alternative, I assigned Windows Media Player.  I really don’t like the Windows Media Player, nor the way it presents the music files.  I want to see my music files presented by File Manager as any other file would be.    How can I get Windows to do that?  BTW, my SSD is inside the Naim UnitiI Core, which is basically a ripper that sends my WAV files on to an Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC.

If you click start and choose default programs (or search 'default programs' in search area) then 'set your default programs' you should be able to adjust what Media Player is responsible for, alternatively you could right click a music file  and choose 'open with', then set your choice that way.  If I'm understanding the question.

hmm, have you read the manual? Whats online says its a standard UPNP player. You should be able to play music on your PC using a player program like Foobar2000 or Jriver where you attach the media library via UPNP... sounds like you are trying to use SMB, where you remotely attach a drive vs using the UPNP server to serve up music.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I have the Naim iOS app and I can play music from the SSD which resides inside the Naim Uniti Core at my living room system.  But I want more.  I want to buy and download hi-res music to that same file.  But I can’t open it in File Manager, the normal way to process files in Windows.  Instead, as I said,  I was forced into assigning it to Windows Media Player or not be able to open It.  With Windows a Media Player I don’t see it in its expected file/subfile organization. 

Just yesterday, someone on thr Naim Forum suggested there was a known bug with Naim Uniti Core and Windows 7.    Apparently  Naim is doing *something* to the file (but I’ve no idea what!) that causes it to be treated differently.  I’ve made no progress in discovering the exact problem on the Naim forum.

The other reason I want to resolve the problem is because I want to switch from Naim to Roon.  I want to buy a Sonic Transporter and I want the troublesome SSD imstalled into the Sonic Transporter.  I am hesitant to send the SSD off until I feel confident the problrm I’m having won’t carry over.