IGNORED

How does DRM in MQA work?

From Lee Scoggins in the other thread:

The DRM code is not for DRM, it's for authentication so they can control the quality of the end product.  It certifies that the resulting file has had the correct MQA filters applied and has been approved by the label/producer/artist or some subset thereof.

I don't know if this answers your questions.  It would appear to have the ability to prevent playback as undecoded MQA with the MQA light on.  Some people have shown the light stays on when it should not in some cases anyway.  

It would appear to have the potential for abuse in the more common manner of DRM in the future.  Of course MQA people are saying it has never been done and they aren't going to do that. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

6 hours ago, mansr said:

The MQA defenders now point out that their files allow partial playback even without a decoder. This is, however, not the entire truth. Firstly, such playback does not reach even CD quality.

True. My listening test impressions:

A great thread idea! I was asking myself the same question.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

And that is in many ways similar to the SACD. One could play the RedBook resolution on standard unprotected player, or rip to a computer. But the play the DSD layer, one would need to have licensed hardware. And DSD data could only be sent over protected link to another protected and licensed piece of hardware. Only analog outputs were allowed at full resolution. Digital output over S/PDIF or similar was allowed to be only RedBook quality.

Slight correction: the PS3 outputs SACD as 88.2/24 over Toslink.

41 minutes ago, mansr said:

Slight correction: the PS3 outputs SACD as 88.2/24 over Toslink.

Ahh, that's something I didn't know! That is quite sensible.

All the other SACD players I've seen only output 44.1/16 when playing SACD... Even the 5.1 channel Sony I still have... Which is actually a curious device because of it's Sony DSD processor. It did speaker distance and level adjustments when playing DSD. I even checked the PCB, and for all other channels except front stereo the DAC chip PCM pins are not even connected, so it certainly did that with DSD playback... (it uses Burr-Brown DAC chips)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

43 minutes ago, Miska said:

Ahh, that's something I didn't know! That is quite sensible.

All the other SACD players I've seen only output 44.1/16 when playing SACD... Even the 5.1 channel Sony I still have... Which is actually a curious device because of it's Sony DSD processor. It did speaker distance and level adjustments when playing DSD. I even checked the PCB, and for all other channels except front stereo the DAC chip PCM pins are not even connected, so it certainly did that with DSD playback... (it uses Burr-Brown DAC chips)

Filter bypass mode on BB chips uses the DSD pins for PCM input.

35 minutes ago, mansr said:

Filter bypass mode on BB chips uses the DSD pins for PCM input.

I'm not sure if the DSD1751 even has such... But I think I checked this loong time ago.

sony-sacd-player.thumb.jpg.b72e03c08929be961202203e4e48a386.jpg

Closest datasheet I am now able to find is for DSD1702:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dsd1702.pdf

I'm pretty sure it has remodulator for DSD. They had also PCM to DSD upsampling quite a while ago in their players. Not so different from the good old CS4328 DAC chip. I still have one DAC I built with that chip when it was new. CS4328 datasheet describes:

The architecture includes an 8× oversampling fil-
ter followed by a 64× oversampled one-bit
delta-sigma modulator. The output from the one
bit modulator controls the polarity of a reference
voltage which is then passed through an ultra-
linear analog low-pass filter. The result is
line-level outputs with no need for further filter-
ing.

8 hours ago, tmtomh said:

And they certainly didn't send people to publicly impugn the integrity who pointed out that the format was DRM'd either.

When I published a critical comment on SACD on my website my provider and I got a cease and desist from Sony legal.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

I'm not sure if the DSD1751 even has such... But I think I checked this loong time ago.

sony-sacd-player.thumb.jpg.b72e03c08929be961202203e4e48a386.jpg

Closest datasheet I am now able to find is for DSD1702:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/dsd1702.pdf

I'm pretty sure it has remodulator for DSD.

It's easy enough to check what's being sent to the chips using a scope or logic analyser.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

They had also PCM to DSD upsampling quite a while ago in their players. Not so different from the good old CS4328 DAC chip. I still have one DAC I built with that chip when it was new. CS4328 datasheet describes:

The architecture includes an 8× oversampling fil-
ter followed by a 64× oversampled one-bit
delta-sigma modulator. The output from the one
bit modulator controls the polarity of a reference
voltage which is then passed through an ultra-
linear analog low-pass filter. The result is
line-level outputs with no need for further filter-
ing.

That sounds like a description of just about any sigma-delta DAC chip.

This is getting "slightly" off-topic... :D

2 hours ago, mansr said:

It's easy enough to check what's being sent to the chips using a scope or logic analyser.

I believe I checked with spectrum analyzer when the device was new. Now I tried to check again and the player doesn't recognize DSD layers anymore, thinks those are only CD. Too long in storage or something and the pickup head is dead. Tried cleaning up the lens, etc.

That leaves me only with one functional SACD player left - a stereo-only Pioneer one. And I don't know if anybody is selling multi-channel non-PCM converting SACD players anymore now that Oppo also quit that stuff. Lovely part of DRM'ed content, similar thing happened with my HD-DVD discs. Luckily I have some of the SACD's ripped, not so lucky with HD-DVD.

Sony also has a PCI card for doing similar plus more advanced DSD-to-DSD processing that is part of the Sonoma recording system:

http://www.superaudiocenter.com/Products.htm

They have their own ASIC they use in the SACD players, etc.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

That sounds like a description of just about any sigma-delta DAC chip.

Yeah, except this is one of the good old true 2.8 MHz 1-bit thingies. In the output, there's no rise in the noise floor, so the analog filter is nicely designed to match the modulator. There's only small noise bump around 2.8 MHz and notch plus peak in the middle where the 2.8 MHz frequency is. Nowadays I would put some extra analog filter there, as the 2.8 MHz frequency spike is at just around -50 dB. And the performance is quite nice overall.

11 hours ago, Fokus said:

When I published a critical comment on SACD on my website my provider and I got a cease and desist from Sony legal.

Was it related to a potential or alleged violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act?

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子