IGNORED

Article: RMAF 2018 Show Report

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Raidho/Scansonic room.  The smaller Scansonics were very impressive to me, I was surprised to find that I preferred them, in that room, to their much larger big brothers (the Raidhos).  I suspect the big Raidhos needed a bigger room to show what they really could do.  The Scansonics showed remarkable resolution, and sounded much "bigger" than their relatively diminutive size would suggest.  Particularly on the bass drum decay/ reverberation on Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" the level of resolution was impressive.

Thanks Rajiv for the report, and good to meet ya! 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

22 minutes ago, barrows said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the Raidho/Scansonic room.  The smaller Scansonics were very impressive to me, I was surprised to find that I preferred them, in that room, to their much larger big brothers (the Raidhos).  I suspect the big Raidhos needed a bigger room to show what they really could do.  The Scansonics showed remarkable resolution, and sounded much "bigger" than their relatively diminutive size would suggest.  Particularly on the bass drum decay/ reverberation on Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" the level of resolution was impressive.

Thanks Rajiv for the report, and good to meet ya! 

Same here, barrows. Those Scansonics sounded amazing. Of course the $50k+ worth of Moon electronics probably didn't hurt either.

I should probably edit the article and move the Scansonic to the under $10k section. They're an excellent value.

8 minutes ago, Derek Hughes said:

Great to meet you Rajiv, really enjoyed our session in the bar, thanks to Chris for picking up the tab. One of my thoughts was that it was good to see and hear the number of active speaker systems and the use of DSP and room correction software. I particularly enjoyed the Elac, Dali and Eikon  rooms.

Likewise, Derek!

I had to skip the ELAC room due to it being full. Agree about the Dali.

As for the Eikon, I wasn’t really impressed with the room as setup. Given all the buzz, I suspect they are better than that, so I’ll be checking them out again in a different setting next chance I get.

This question might be worthy of a thread on it’s own, but having read about show reports for the last few years since I became interested in hifi, I have to wonder who actually buys this five and six figure s**t? I mean, I could understand if there was say a half dozen companies or so making reference statement gear for a handful of millionaires/billionaires, but it appears as if there’s dozens of companies making this stuff, and new ones every year. And many of the wealthy people I know seem to be just fine buying a gaggle of Sonos and calling it a day. So where’s it all going? 

I’m a photographer, and I would be hard pressed to spend five or six figures on even on the most top end system (say Phase One medium format digital). I know many balk at the cost of say a top of the line Leica lens for $10k, but that’s almost nothing in comparison, and will actually hold much of its resale value in comparison to a pair of speaker cables at that price! It’s honestly totally head scratching to me. Plus there’s only about five or so camera companies that even begin to come close to the cost of some of the gear mentioned here. Some of it actually makes really high end cars look a bargain and there’s a lot more material, manufacture, r&d, etc that go into those! 

FTR I’ve never been to an audio show but would like to if given the chance locally some day. If nothing else for the amusement....

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

@charlesphoto I have often wondered about the points you raise. The closest analogy I could come up with are fine watches and wine. But I think even those are not good comparisons because of the far greater number of interested consumers.

I've been an audiophile since the '70's and I went to one NYC audio show around '79 and have never attended one since then. The crowds, noise, inaccessibility, crappy demonstration rooms, etc... were too much. Now I live close enough to Axpona to attend each year, but I don't see the point because of the ever increasing cost of new equipment.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Not to launch a political discussion, but the economic divisions in the US are getting more, not less. Those at the top are becoming obscenely rich and there are getting to be more of them. Is it really possible that there is 100k more value in the Raidho than the Vandersteen 7? Of course not, but if you can buy the Vandersteen then you can probably buy the Raidho. If you are selling to the super rich then it just doesnt matter how much it costs. So in that case it really does make sense to keep jacking up the price. Most audio companies are not huge money makers, but if you can hit the occasionally grand slam with a six figure speaker system it could help support the company for a long time. You make more profit selling a few Lexus than 20 Corollas.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I can't remember the details of the anecdote, but a few years ago there was a speaker manufacturer who said he showed his new $80k a pair of speakers at the Munich hi-end show and got little interest and no orders. He was sure the speaker was great, and was flabbergasted, as many more expensive speakers were getting orders at the show.

So he basically changed the cosmetics of the speaker  (it looked nice, but conventional) to make it look different and came back the next year to Munich with the speaker priced at $200k. Got gobs of interest and orders at the show. The actual sound of the speaker was basically identical, and the added production cost of the newer model was a small percentage of the increase in price. 

He basically said that he realized there are a lot of people who want "the best" - which for them means the most expensive and visually impressive. 

I think a lot of hi-end audio works that way. Antony Michaelson of Musical Fidelity used to talk about the cost of conventionally marketed audio (distributors and dealer networks): he said the expensive cosmetics of high end gear could account for as much as 70% of the final retail price. Nothing to do with SQ. But the cosmetics sell. People who spend (multiple) 5 figures or more want the stuff to look great or impressive, not just okay. Some of them do care about the SQ, but the cosmetics are what get them to pull out the credit card, as it were. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

And what I find amusing is that those ‘cosmetics’ on most $200k speakers I’ve seen I wouldn't let anywhere near my living room even if they were gifted to me! But yep, I’m pretty sure Diana Krall, Steely Dan and Dire Straits sound SO much more lifelike;) through those speakers styled to look like some sort of glossy cello skyscraper coming apart at the seams...

Maybe high end hifi is like a sports cars substitute for those that can’t handle the speed....  the demographic must be aging out though, because I just don’t see the nouveau rich spending their money on $100k speakers when now you can get similar or better for 1/10 or less of that. There’s only so much smoke and mirrors and snake oil to go around...

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I always figured for the price of some of these speakers and full systems you could just pay to have Diana Krall come and perform in person.  

And after every event like this I've ever attended all I want to do is go home and listen to my relatively modest system that I've built/tweaked myself, and spent a fraction of what even down to earth audiophile systems cost.

I agree with you guys.

High-end prices - for speakers especially, but alarmingly, for electronics too - have risen to obscene levels. There really is no other word for it. The unfortunate truth is that there apparently exist enough of the "money no object" customers to make the production of such gear feasible.

The second truism is that high end shows do not showcase gear to even a fraction of their true capabilities. The realities of  hotel room acoustics, noisy HVACs, lousy power and insufficient setup and tuning time make great sound quality more an exception than a rule.

So why attend these shows at all? For me personally, here are some reasons:

1. Good dealerships, where you can meaningfully audition gear, are vanishing. Inexorably. Certainly outside the major cities in the US, if not around the world. I live in a small metropolis, where good high-end dealers are as rare as bad barbecue. :D For better or worse, shows like RMAF give you a chance to get a closer look at gear you might be considering, or are just curious about, and get to hear them (or more likely, their bigger brother at the top of the line), albeit in imperfect show condition.
  2. People. People are the best part of the show. You can meet industry titans, product designers, community members (fellow CA'ers), audio journalists, and other audio enthusiasts.
  3. Learn - about new gear, industry trends, what's coming, new product types etc.
  4. Unknown gems - there are a lot of audio manufacturers most of us have never heard of, who will come to these shows. At RMAF, I was really intrigued to hear Auris Audio (from Serbia), Meze Audio (from Romania), and Alsyvox speakers from Spain. I wouldn't have even heard of them, let alone listened to their gear, had I not gone.
  5. The weird and the wacky: finally, it's always cool to just wander around and look for offbeat things. There was a Chinese record label selling some really cool recordings I'd never have even thought to look for.  ESD Acoustics with their giant-ass horns!

I'm sure there are more reasons, but you get my point.

All that said - I couldn't agree more - I too breathed a sigh of contented relief when I got home and fired up my own system. Music to my ears!

Perhaps we in this segment of the hobby are lucky that the super-rich high-end audio geezer set don't really grok computer audio. Yes, we gasp at the $10-20k prices for Aurenders, Innuos, SGMs etc. But think about it. These prices pale in comparison to the Nagra HD DAC-X. $65k. WHAT?!

I guess we should count our blessings. Once computer audio becomes idiot-proof, can $50k+ music players be far behind?

A sobering thought. :) 

Another random vignette from RMAF...

I'm sitting listening in the MSB room, and a gentleman seated in the sweet spot compliments Vince Galbo on the truly gigantic display on the front panel of the DAC. This guy was probably north of the median age of RMAF attendees. Vince half-jokingly described how they internally called it the "old man display," and then went on to reveal that the display alone cost them over $700 in parts.

Think about that when you consider the effect the rich geezer-atti have on high-end component design.

12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Another random vignette from RMAF...

I'm sitting listening in the MSB room, and a gentleman seated in the sweet spot compliments Vinco Galbo on the truly gigantic display on the front panel of the DAC. This guy was probably north of the median age of RMAF attendees. Vince half-jokingly described how they internally called it the "old man display," and then went on to reveal that the display alone cost them over $700 in parts.

Think about that when you consider the effect the rich geezer-atti have on high-end component design.

I’ve seen really high end car displays used in audio components with similar cost results due to low quantities. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’ve seen really high end car displays used in audio components with similar cost results due to low quantities. 

Agreed, Chris. Was just pointing it out in the context of high prices of high end gear, and what drives those requirements.

I doubt a typical CA'er would have wanted to push for a part like that - which probably drove MSRP up by $1.5-3k.

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Agreed, Chris. Was just pointing it out in the context of high prices of high end gear, and what drives those requirements.

I doubt a typical CA'er would have wanted to push for a part like that - which probably drove MSRP up by $1.5-3k.

Based on an average 5x-8x multiplier your estimate is low. 

Dang old guys, put on glasses. Only kidding ?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png