IGNORED

Miniature KEF LS50W, anyone? (Pics included!)

14 minutes ago, Hugo9000 said:

52628544_KEFLS50andnewLS-X.thumb.jpg.573a44db640db530933cc8ca38276b2c.jpg

2120092571_KEFLS-X.thumb.jpg.8d0d710ccf10359d7461164451444b44.jpg

Supposedly due in November, at half the price of the LS50W.

Where did you see this?  

At half the price (and weight I guess) I could be very tempted

NUC 7i3 (ROCK) > Ghent Audio Lan cable > SOtM sMS-200 (+Uptone LPS-1) >  0.2m Curious USB cable > Singxer F1 (usb to spdif) > 0.5m XLO digital cable > Audiolab 8000 Dac (25 years old) > Trends Audio 10.1 Integrated Amp > Kef 103/4 speakers

• Hugo9000 changed the title to Miniature KEF LS50W? (Pics included!)
  • Hugo9000 changed the title to Miniature KEF LS50W, anyone? (Pics included!)

The manual is online:

KEF LSX.pdf

A few highlights:

Uni-Q driver array:

HF: 19mm (0.75in.) aluminium dome LF/MF: 115mm (4.5in.) magnesium/aluminium alloy cone

Frequency Response (±3dB) Measured at 85dB/1m:

54Hz - 28kHz (More bass extension)

59Hz - 28kHz (Standard)

69Hz - 28kHz (Less bass extension) Depending on speaker settings

Amplifier Output Power:

LF  70W

HF 30W

Inputs:

2.4GHz/5GHz Dual-band Wi-Fi network

Bluetooth 4.2 with aptX® codec

TOSLINK Optical

3.5mm Auxiliary Input

RJ45 Ethernet (For network)

Includes a subwoofer output

Dimension (HWD) 240 x 155 x 180 mm (9.5 x 6.1 x 7.1 in.)

Weight:  Master 3.6kg (7.9lbs), Slave 3.5kg (7.7lbs)

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

42 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

the -3 dB point is 54 Hz for just the little 'satellites" alone??

⚠️

That's apparently with the maximum boost added.  These are active speakers like the LS50W.  

They also specify -6 dB:

Frequency Range (-6dB) Measured at 85dB/1m
49Hz - 47kHz (More bass extension)

52Hz - 47kHz (Standard)

55Hz - 47kHz (Less bass extension) Depending on speaker settings

Even the "standard" and "less extension" settings presumably have bass boost added.  There is no passive version of the LSX, so who knows what the true response of the driver itself would be, unlike comparisons that can be made between the active and passive versions of the LS50.

I haven't seen anything about distortion specs, whereas KEF discussed those for their LS50 in the "white paper" they published for that model, so I'm assuming it's much worse for this tiny speaker lol.  I hear these sound wonderful within their limitations, however, particularly as a desktop/nearfield speaker.

Max SPL listed for this model is 103 dB.

Colors are said to be black, white, red, blue, and the green shown in the photos.  White is supposed to be the same gloss white as the LS50, the rest supposedly have fabric wraps, like the one pictured.  White is different to prevent staining/discoloration/yellowing over time.

I don't know about driver colors, before anyone asks lol.

If I get a pair, I'd probably choose white, as I don't really like the idea of a fabric wrap.  I think the white LS50s look great, although I ended up getting the "titanium" finish for mine.

I wonder why they chose smaller? They seem to have carved out a nice little market with the LS50W, and now I think they should focus on updating it to compete with the new Elac Navis (Elac Argo) that sounds better from some listening to the two of them at RMAF 2018 in Denver.

Power handling, bass, balance, and I daresay off axis response were all better on the Elac Argo Navis, and while the KEF LS50W sounded like a good bookshelf, the Argo Navis sounds like a floorstanding speaker and is 3-way instead of two.

That being said, these little ones could be great... Maybe in a surround system as rear speakers, with the full size as the mains, and something for a center channel.

Clearly intended for the desktop and to potentially replace the X300A.   Wondering when we'll see a floorstanding active from KEF?

While I like the new finish ideas I still think KEF's missing out on some sort of custom option with the LS50.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W