IGNORED

Odroid HC2

Anan

• 2 weeks later...

The HC2 runs Linux fine, but dummies like me that have difficulty with the sudo(ephedrines) command line syntax and misspellings, Hardkernel are working on the Odroid H2. This single board computer, runs an Intel J4105 processor, and therefore can run Windows (or OSX s'pose). Rather than create a NUC 2 with little horsepower, the H2 has these specs which are impressive for a 110mm2 single board computer:

2.3Ghz Quad-core processor J4105 (14nm) with 4MiB Cache

Dual-channel Memory DDR4-PC19200 (2400MT/s)

Total 32GiB RAM Space with two SO-DIMM slots

4 x PCIe 2.0 for one NVMe storage

2 x Gbit Ethernet ports

2 x SATA 3.0

SSE4.2 accelerator (SMM, FPU, NX, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES)

Intel UHD Graphics (Gen9.5) 600 (GT1) 700Mhz

HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 multiple video outputs

This small size could house a large HDD of 6TB+ and with (hopefully) some clever connectors add in a JCAT USB or Ethernet Card on the PCIe bus and would create a neat media server. The board has its own power supply regulators, and the power supplies can accept 14-20V DC. By looks of it, there are several enclosures being worked on.

The only issue I can see so far is that the large HDD dissipate a LOT of heat, so if the H2 is mounted close, the enclosure would need to be force cooled. I'm done with passive cooling for HDD enclosures,  tried several and the drives just cook, and just not good enough. The music drives are now in a tower Server case being cooled by slow speed fans and plenty of space. 

The other alternative is to house the drives in a NAS or Server and let the H2 collect and send via Host apps like Roon/HQPlayer/A/JRiver+. This would allow the H2 closer to the audio system, provided the case is totally shielded which is reasonably easy, and power the lot with an LPS of your choice, built into the same enclosure. There's two Ethernet ports for bridging purposes. Can someone confirm if this combo in the H2 is enough for DSD512?

Release is due in November 2018 according to this article.

image.thumb.png.2a887530b369f7d435d64dfb460cd6f4.png

image.thumb.png.f3071294ec6e2b93540668edb6c0453c.png

image.thumb.png.ba06e6b5938709dec9ce98cfb975e4d2.png

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks you for your reply, 

I found a reasonable solution running bubble upnp or miminserver. Transcoding. 

Dietpi + miminserver. 

Etch sd, setup the Dietpi.txt.

Read carefully dietpi.txt to prevent  connection error 

Install jr8. Ffmpeg via dietpi 

Apt get libsoxr

Mount drive. Set auto parking to reduce heat loss and excessive wear 

Setup miminserver and miminwatch on mac

Android. Get bubble upnp  

Stream to dlna with already soxr trancoded. On the fly. Sounds good works good. 

Anyway. Open media vault way didn't work for me. 

Cheers