IGNORED

I have a perplexing JRiver problem

gmgraves

I have a J River problem that has me pulling my hair out by its roots! I have the album Getz/Gilberto (24/9600). It has eight tracks on it. Eight tracks distributed across (when I started trying to fix it this morning) 4 different instances of the album! I tried deleting it and reinstalling it, and now I have eight tracks distributed across FIVE instances of the album. I've looked at the album in file view, and every entry for every song looks identical with regard to it's statistics. Why does this happen and how can I fix it? I'm all out of ideas.

George

36 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I have a J River problem that has me pulling my hair out by its roots! I have the album Getz/Gilberto (24/9600). It has eight tracks on it. Eight tracks distributed across (when I started trying to fix it this morning) 4 different instances of the album! I tried deleting it and reinstalling it, and now I have eight tracks distributed across FIVE instances of the album. I've looked at the album in file view, and every entry for every song looks identical with regard to it's statistics. Why does this happen and how can I fix it? I'm all out of ideas.

I'm not an expert on JRiver, but do use JRiver (JRMC24.0.54) and its tagging functions, and have Getz/Gilberto in my library.  

In my JRiver libary, Getz/Gilberto album is displayed as one album with 8 tracks.  I have sometimes experienced the problem you describe on other albums because of an inconsistent entry in common fields in the metadata.  When that has happened to me, editing them making them consistent has always worked.  If that's what's causing your problem, it might help to try JRiver's tag editor and make sure that this album's common fields (e.g., the album name, album artist, genre, disc) are identical in all 8 tracks.

You can do that by selecting all the album's tracks in JRiver, right click/select "tag" and examining the metadata.  If you see "[varies]" in a common field (e.g, the album name or album artist, genre) and they should be all the same, then that may be your problem, and making them identical may fix it. 

Hope that helps.

Hi gmgraves If this doesn't fix it you could try loading files into Jaikoz (no license needed for viewing files), this presents the data in a spreadsheet like view, so it should be pretty obvious if there is a difference in metadata fields.

Key ones to check are:

Album

Sort Album

Album Artist

Sort Album Artist

My suspicion would be that Album Artist is not the same for all the tracks.

Indie software developer of Jaikoz and SongKong taggers and the opensrc tagging library jaudiotagger

6 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I have the album Getz/Gilberto (24/9600).

Same problem with the SACD album. Ripped the redbook to JRiver and the album got mixed. Finally, managed to edit and put everything into one album but the track sequence changed. Plus the artwork got replaced with another one. Forgot to disable look for artwork or something like that. 

I get this from time-to-time and it is relatively easy to fix with the metadata editing tools in JRiver.  There are other metadata tools that are more powerful than JRMC and there are other media players that are much more difficult to use than JRMC.

This is not a JRiver issue.  It is a problem with inconsistent and error-filled metadata and, to varying degrees, affects all. 

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

On 10/7/2018 at 11:28 PM, gmgraves said:

I think you're getting that because of the multiple artists in the album.

By default JRiver groups a single artist per album.

Try editing the metadata as follows:

Select the four/five "albums"

Under the Action Window > Tag

Edit "Album Artist" and select/type  [Multiple Artists] (with square brackets)

This usually works for me.

Regards.

2037928477_JRiverMultipleArtist.thumb.jpg.bae3bb9da10a29434a06096b9aaa1527.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

8 hours ago, Nikhil said:

I think you're getting that because of the multiple artists in the album.

By default JRiver groups a single artist per album.

Try editing the metadata as follows:

Select the four/five "albums"

Under the Action Window > Tag

Edit "Album Artist" and select/type  [Multiple Artists] (with square brackets)

This usually works for me.

Regards.

2037928477_JRiverMultipleArtist.thumb.jpg.bae3bb9da10a29434a06096b9aaa1527.jpg

yes, Thanks, I figured that out several days ago, and it does work. I'm all set now. 

Thanks again and regards to

all who responded. Much appreciated!

George