IGNORED

HQPlayer/microRendu working with Topping DX7s for DSD512

Hi all, I purchased a Topping DX7s DAC a few weeks ago and was not able to get it to work with my microRendu. I updated the firmware on my MR this morning and I can playback DSD512 through Roon, but it does not work with HQPlayer. Any suggestions on how to get the MR to work with HQPlayer for DSD512? 

Topping uses the Thesycon driver which works with Windows 10 for DSD. Folks are working on getting Thesycon with DSD into the mainline Linux kernel but for the moment you need to get the manufacturer to patch the Linux they distribute. You can try running @Miska s images on an NAA — I’m working on getting this running with the Espressobin

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

35 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Topping uses the Thesycon driver which works with Windows 10 for DSD. Folks are working on getting Thesycon with DSD into the mainline Linux kernel but for the moment you need to get the manufacturer to patch the Linux they distribute. You can try running @Miska s images on an NAA — I’m working on getting this running with the Espressobin

My patches plus the Thesycon support is already in mainline kernel. I wonder what is the thing they  are "working on", because Thesycon/XMOS implementations do work with the support I already upstreamed. If it is just listing one extra USB VID, then it is certainly not something that needs to be "worked on" longer than an hour or so...

Where do they have the patch/sources for the kernel?

Topping DACs are not that expensive, I could probably buy one for testing purposes.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

25 minutes ago, Miska said:

My patches plus the Thesycon support is already in mainline kernel. I wonder what is the thing they  are "working on", because Thesycon/XMOS implementations do work with the support I already upstreamed. If it is just listing one extra USB VID, then it is certainly not something that needs to be "worked on" longer than an hour or so...

Where do they have the patch/sources for the kernel?

Topping DACs are not that expensive, I could probably buy one for testing purposes.

As you know, it can take some considerable  degree of time for the most recent kernel eg 4.18.y to make its way down through distributions and in particular there are many “audiophile” distributions which are not nearly up to date.

In my own case, I’m working in getting the Espressobin working with the Topping DX7s and needed to compile my own 4.18.7 kernel because Armbian doesn’t include ALSA nor snd_usb by default.

Each board has its own bootloading mechanism/weirdness that has to be taken into account so testing out your own images is more straightforward on amd64 builds than arm64 ... I plan to test your image with an Intel based NAA but have been pulled in another direction for the past couple of weeks and haven’t gotten to it yet — hopefully this weekend.

My arm64 4.18.7-rt build works great with the iFi Micro and it’s driver, so there must be some issue with the Thesycon or else I’m doing something wrong ??‍♂️

(iFi is also XMOS)

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

In my own case, I’m working in getting the Espressobin working with the Topping DX7s and needed to compile my own 4.18.7 kernel because Armbian doesn’t include ALSA nor snd_usb by default.

Each board has its own bootloading mechanism/weirdness that has to be taken into account so testing out your own images is more straightforward on amd64 builds than arm64 ... I plan to test your image with an Intel based NAA but have been pulled in another direction for the past couple of weeks and haven’t gotten to it yet — hopefully this weekend.

Yeah, ARM is always pain in that sense... Lot of BSPs are stuck to some ancient kernel because they didn't upstream their changes and couldn't maintain their custom things either. Or made some new shiny SoC and totally dropped the ball with previous ones. Some companies are better than others, for example Atmel has been quite OK with mainline kernels what I've used. Maybe some minor editing of device tree source for a particular setup, but that's it. Many others certainly not, while many are somewhere in between.

26 minutes ago, jabbr said:

My arm64 4.18.7-rt build works great with the iFi Micro and it’s driver, so there must be some issue with the Thesycon or else I’m doing something wrong ??‍♂️

(iFi is also XMOS)

And iFi nowadays falls back to the same detection method since I tested and removed the explicit VID:PID to alt-setting mapping which was wrong and seems to be problematic for example with iFi Pro... And the similar strict mapping probably broke Oppo BD players when they updated firmware.

But be careful with -rt kernels on ARM, in many cases it breaks things on the BSP because they didn't do things properly.

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

But be careful with -rt kernels on ARM, in many cases it breaks things on the BSP because they didn't do things properly.

Will keep in mind! but again ... XMOS on iFi  works for me while Thesycon doesn’t ... you are a true saint for dealing with all these edge cases... for me, personally, $250 or whatever for the Topping seems like a great deal, but then I spend weeks getting it working ... I chalk it up to education ??‍♂️

... all in the name of seeing if I can get the SQ of WiFi to approach fiber ??‍♂️

55 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

can the SQ of WiFi approach fiber?

is there enough data for a new thread on this?

and I assume this is for HiRes, not Redbook...(??)

There are many variables, I think "yes" and we could pontificate and no, not enough data for a new thread ATM. I think everything that could be said about EMI etc has been said, either here or in papers & textbooks, short of actual data.

This approach is for Redbook, or Hi Res PCM, or DSD64, all upsampled to DSD512.

If there is enough interest for a suitable WiFi based device then I'm sure it could be made available in one way or another.

I'd be interested as I am highly unlikely to rip out all the ceilings downstairs to run an optical cable next to the existing CAT6.  ApplePlay is extremely convenient ... for now.

the WiFi 6 spec. is out so a future device could use that...

I've tested WiFi by running HQPlayer on a laptop connected wirelessly to local network and then NAA is connected to the local network using cable connection. DSD512 goes through just fine. I have not personally tested it the other way around where NAA would have a wireless connection. Maybe I should do some tests and measurements that way too.

5 hours ago, anroj said:

Thank you. That did it.

Interesting because for me, neither @Miska image, nor my 4.18.7-rt build for espressobin, nor my download armbian 4.18.5-mvebu kernels allow native DSD with the Topping DX7s ... perhaps its a Topping firmware issue? If it works for you but not for me, then that might point to my device.

... nope! just upgraded/reinstalled firmware 1.02(18l) and still no native DSD, and best I can tell this is ALSA that doesn't recognize as DSD not NAA. Are you sure you aren't using DOP and that it does DSD512?

8 minutes ago, anroj said:

Native DSD, up to  DSD512, works with HQPlayer via USB, but I am not able to get it to work native DSD with my microRendu.

I works for me DSD512 when using a Windows NAA, the question is whether it can work with a Linux NAA.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

jabbr--just wondering if you ever got your D50 working with HQPlayer. I have a D70 and am having problems with HQPlayer/Rendu as well (always works with my iFi Micro DSD BL). Can't get DSD working and when I play PCM it works for about 10 minutes than I get a continuous blast of full volume noise-no matter what the HQP volume is set at. My speakers won't take this too many times longer until I lose a tweeter or two.

CJH

Those noise effects usually happen due to either of two reasons:

1) Transfer errors on USB.

2) Clocking problems causing DAC to loose sync.

If this happens, check with standard USB HiSpeed certified cable (not "audiophile" cable) and try without extra USB gadgets if any of such are used. Some USB interface implementations are more sensitive to these than others. For (2) also check the device grounding layout to make sure there are no ground currents disturbing clocks. With NAA make sure the ethernet cable is NOT shielded type with metal covered connectors, instead use UTP cables that have fully plastic connector bodies.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:40 AM, CJH said:

jabbr--just wondering if you ever got your D50 working with HQPlayer. I have a D70 and am having problems with HQPlayer/Rendu as well (always works with my iFi Micro DSD BL). Can't get DSD working and when I play PCM it works for about 10 minutes than I get a continuous blast of full volume noise-no matter what the HQP volume is set at.

Yes above — DX7s works with recent Ubuntu/Linux but mine has background noise and I like the sound of the Pro-Ject S2D better

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)