My head phone system has a rpi3 with digione feeding a  gungir mb through  spdif. The rpi3 gets a wireless signal and I use a IMac runnng audirvana  with a remote hd as the server 

Anyway im having severe drop out problems all of a sudden when I play 96/24 files—red book works fine and the I mac  works fine connected to a dac by usb or optical..

Any thoughts? Could the renderer software in the rpi3 have become corrupted ?

Since you appear to be using the RPi 3 as a wireless streamer to play audio files provided by Audirvana (Plus), which supports UPnP/DLNA streaming, I think it's safe to assume that the streamer is a UPnP renderer. However, exactly what software have you got installed on the RPi 3?

What do you mean by "all of a sudden"? Are you saying that you are certain the same 24/96kHz files were playing ok some time before, with the exact same device setup (so including all hardware/software)?

Usually, severe drop out problems on wireless streamers are caused by a poor WiFi connection. The tell tale sign is that the drop outs become more noticeable as the amount of file data streamed increases, such as when streaming hi-res audio files. It's unlikely that a corruption with the UPnP renderer software and/or its OS would cause the exact same affect - you'd expect no file to play properly, if at all.

It's certainly worth testing the RPi on a wired connection to see if the drop outs dissapear.

Bear in mind, Audirvana Plus always uses a transcoder for UPnP/DLNA, engaging Audirvana's audio engine to decode all the audio files in the playlist, with the output always being repackaged as WAV files for UPnP network streaming. So, any data saving benefits of using lossless compressed audio file formats such as FLAC & ALAC are lost, as far as the network is concerned, when you use a UPnP renderer to play audio files from Audirvana Plus.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks. 

1: Im using gmrender running under diet pi.

2:  I’ve been using the current  set up for several months without problem although I have not used the headphone system for several weeks. I did have a similar problem about 5 months ago, after having  no problems I began to experience drop outs. The problem disappeared after I added a digione board until now.

3: I did check my router. Due to a flood, water repair guys moved a tv in front of the router temporarily. Could that be making a marginal signal worse?