IGNORED

Article: First Listen And A Visit To dCS For The New Bartok

This is an intriguing product. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Would, of course, be interested to compare to the Rossini+Network Player and see what the difference in SQ for the big difference in price. I'd bet not much. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Nice! Thx Chris. dCS truly cares about the quality of their product AND continued support and evolution. I am very happy to be their customer.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

1 hour ago, matthias said:

I suppose the dCS Network Bridge plus Bartok will outperform the Rossini for less money.

Matt

Does it need a bridge?

"the Bartok is a full featured dCS network capable DAC with headphone amp."

It seems there are more and more hi end "Network Capable DACs". Hopefully some comparisons will follow. This category is of great interest.

26 minutes ago, Lobbster said:

Does it need a bridge?

"the Bartok is a full featured dCS network capable DAC with headphone amp."

It seems there are more and more hi end "Network Capable DACs". Hopefully some comparisons will follow. This category is of great interest.

No; it does not need a bridge:

But the bridge is better than the streaming board in the Rossini:

So I think if you combine Bartok and bridge you can outperform the Rossini:

Source first rules:

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

23 minutes ago, AMP said:

No, it's not.

There is absolutely no reason to use a Bridge with a Rossini or Bartok. There will be no performance gains and some control functionality will be lost.

With the additional Bridge you have a complete separate PS and a higher performing processor with wifi.

Matt

3 minutes ago, matthias said:

With the additional Bridge you have a complete separate PS and a higher performing processor with wifi.

Matt

Why would a separate power supply, faster processor that's unneeded in the DACs, WiFi, and a conversion to AES or SPDIF before hitting the DAC be beneficial?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Okay, I'll rephrase. It would be interesting to hear someone who auditions the Bartok and Rossini and comments on the SQ difference, and how much. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, firedog said:

Okay, I'll rephrase. It would be interesting to hear someone who auditions the Bartok and Rossini and comments on the SQ difference, and how much.

It's not an especially valid comparison right now as Rossini is due for an update which will have a significant impact on its sonic performance.

Programme Manager, Streaming Audio

Data Conversion Systems, Ltd

22 minutes ago, AMP said:

It's not an especially valid comparison right now as Rossini is due for an update which will have a significant impact on its sonic performance.

Thanks. Appreciate your participation here.

27 minutes ago, AMP said:

4 minutes ago, firedog said:

Thanks. Appreciate your participation here.

If I'm not mistaken, this update is software only. Rossini owners needn't worry about out of date hardware. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

14 minutes ago, matthias said:

What exactly are the hardware differences between Bartok and Rossini?

Chris covered it in his write-up. In terms of hardware Bartok has a less complex power supply and a less complex chassis.

The real difference will be in the software. As our DAC architecture is software-defined we can realize performance gains through a simple firmware update. In the case of Bartok the software is very similar to Rossini as it stands today. Rossini will get an update to apply some of the algorithms from Vivaldi.

Programme Manager, Streaming Audio

Data Conversion Systems, Ltd

36 minutes ago, AMP said:

Chris covered it in his write-up. In terms of hardware Bartok has a less complex power supply and a less complex chassis.

The real difference will be in the software. As our DAC architecture is software-defined we can realize performance gains through a simple firmware update. In the case of Bartok the software is very similar to Rossini as it stands today. Rossini will get an update to apply some of the algorithms from Vivaldi.

IIUC, if Bartok receives the same software update as Rossini the performance differences would be negligible.

Very interesting,  as software is much cheaper than hardware (Audirvana, HQPlayer for example)

Matt

2 hours ago, AMP said:

We have the Bridge with AES out to a pair of Devialet monoblocks, sourced from a ROON Nucleus, and is it so easy to hear how much better it is compared to a direct ethernet out from the same ROON endpoint.  

In this case, it is in the addition of a second stage between source and playback that improves the signal.

I can only  imagine how good the Bartok can be  but suspect it will be brilliant.

23 hours ago, matthias said:

IIUC, if Bartok receives the same software update as Rossini the performance differences would be negligible.

Very interesting,  as software is much cheaper than hardware (Audirvana, HQPlayer for example)

Matt

yeah ; and I could be as enthusiast about my cheap TEAC, albeit HQP fed, and even add a note stressing soundstage effect and instrumentation being  a jewel case to Beth Gibbons' vocals.