IGNORED

How Tidal streams over a receiver?

Hi,

soon I'll have a receiver (avr) that is Tidal certified.

In the manual is stated to use Heos to achieve that.

But I *think* that any Tidal app (say iOS Tidal client) will "see" the receiver as an end-point. I am right?

If it's so, how I can be sure that Tidal will stream to the receiver without using lossy technologies as Chromecast or AirPlay?

TV: Philips 55PUS7502-12 / Hi-Fi: Roksan K3 - miniDSP DDRC-24 - Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB - AudioQuest Sydney RCA - Ricable Ultimate Speaker - Dirac Live 3 / Headphones: Chord Mojo - Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Open / Source: Raspberry 4 Pi - Roon - RoPieeeXL / Gaming: Xbox One X / Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5

I doubt that you can use official Tidal iOS app to play to the AV receiver.  Tidal support page states you need to use HEOS app, so I don't think you'll see the receiver in official Tidal app.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

AirPlay is not technically lossy, although it is often affected by OS mixer and volume.

I suspect that you won't be able to get 24-bit MQA streaming using HEOS.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I'm sure I will not able to use MQA on a recevier. But I don't mind about MQA. Actually I use a Chord Mojo that doesn't support it natively, although Roon (my player) use it partially.

After some other research I found out that effectively Tidal app will stream directly to the receiver (that should be tidal-certified) without using HEOS, without using the transport of AirPlay and Chromecast.

My only concern is why in the guide of the receiver is stated that you have to use Heos to use Tidal.

Soon I will receive the avr so I will test.

TV: Philips 55PUS7502-12 / Hi-Fi: Roksan K3 - miniDSP DDRC-24 - Elac Debut Reference DBR62 - Moon Audio Silver Dragon USB - AudioQuest Sydney RCA - Ricable Ultimate Speaker - Dirac Live 3 / Headphones: Chord Mojo - Dan Clark Audio AEON Flow Open / Source: Raspberry 4 Pi - Roon - RoPieeeXL / Gaming: Xbox One X / Tablet: iPad Pro 10.5
5 hours ago, wklie said:

AirPlay is not technically lossy, although it is often affected by OS mixer and volume.

Neither is Google's Cast streaming technology, used by the Chromecast devices, technically lossy. Plus, unlike AirPlay, it does not use the controlling device's audio, unless you are using it with the Google Home app's Cast Screen/audio function.

So simply use Chromecast devices with reputable apps like BubbleUPnP for lossless streaming from TIDAL (assuming you have a TIDAL HiFi account in order to stream the lossless FLAC file tracks from TIDAL's online server).

Odd that the OP mentions Chromecast as an example of lossy streaming!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

On 10/2/2018 at 11:40 AM, wklie said:

I doubt that you can use official Tidal iOS app to play to the AV receiver.  Tidal support page states you need to use HEOS app, so I don't think you'll see the receiver in official Tidal app.  (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I suspect that you won't be able to get 24-bit MQA streaming using HEOS.

You were right, now i got my avr (marantz nr1508), it supports Tidal (logo on the package), but as you correcly said, i cannot “see” the receiver in official tidal app but i need to stream over airplay or heos (still didnt try it). I am sad of that.