IGNORED

A Closer Look At Fremer's SHAMEFUL Brinkmann Nyquist DAC "Review"

9 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Examples?

If you really care, look yourself. I'm just relating what I've read in his blog. 
I do specifically remember that when he heard the all digital and class D Kii Three, he praised the sound, even when the source was a turntable, which  meant the Kii digitized the input. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 minute ago, firedog said:

If you really care, look yourself. I'm just relating what I've read in his blog. 
I do specifically remember that when he heard the all digital and class D Kii Three, he praised the sound, even when the source was a turntable, which  meant the Kii digitized the input. 

sorry, that is not good enough and not relevant... you make the claim you back it up, i’m not lifting a finger. ..you need to provide specific examples.I post direct quotes every time when I characterize reviewers positions and assertions and a link.

7 hours ago, firedog said:

And btw, that's your post I reacted to. So are you still on your high horse claiming :

"I post direct quotes every time when I characterize reviewers positions and assertions and a link."?

Really? Did you back up your above broad characterization with your so-called "proof" that Fremer has "savaged" digital audio in  "every" review he has written? 

It's really funny. Inside this very thread you proved my point about how you misconstrue what others' write. All that has to be done to show that your above characterization is over the top and incorrect is to find ONE review where Fremer didn't "savage" digital. So I even gave you one where he praised it. And there are plenty of others - just look at many of his reviews of high end disc players and DACs. 

Try again in the future with your next quote. Maybe you'll even succeed in accurately describing what others' write. 

You are generally a sensible poster but you went off the rails. I specifically discussing Fremer's characterization of digital in relation to vinyl. I KNOW he has been somewhat complimentary to very expensive digital front ends and to SACD in general.

You offered a lazy defense of Fremer. The fact is my main point is that the Miracle of MQA opened up the heavens and parted the seas for him in vinyl comparisons, where nothing else has.

The dCS review, linked below is a train wreck. He says in this review, of the NINETY THOUSAND dollar set up that SACD playback of the Rolling Stones was neck and neck with his vinyl versions.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-scarlatti-sacdcd-playback-system-page-4

7 hours ago, firedog said:

And btw, that's your post I reacted to. So are you still on your high horse claiming :

"I post direct quotes every time when I characterize reviewers positions and assertions and a link."?

Really? Did you back up your above broad characterization with your so-called "proof" that Fremer has "savaged" digital audio in  "every" review he has written? 

It's really funny. Inside this very thread you proved my point about how you misconstrue what others' write. All that has to be done to show that your above characterization is over the top and incorrect is to find ONE review where Fremer didn't "savage" digital. So I even gave you one where he praised it. And there are plenty of others - just look at many of his reviews of high end disc players and DACs. 

Try again in the future with your next quote. Maybe you'll even succeed in accurately describing what others' write. 

And this is kinda funny..interesting how he goes out of his way to compare hirez 24/96 to CD, but did not lift a finger to compare MQA to hirez.

"Right about now you're probably saying, "Fremer shouldn't have been assigned this review." Patience, please. You'll find this out for yourself. If, after comparing a familiar CD you own to its hi-rez version, you decide the CD is good enough, well then, you're all set—but I'll bet "good enough" isn't good enough for most of the enthusiasts who regularly read Stereophile, especially if another 10 bucks will get you greatly enhanced musical performance from a favorite recording."

10 hours ago, firedog said:

.....You regularly misrepresent what other people have written. It seems when you don't like someone or their ideas, you can't help but misportray what they say.....I've noted multiple times in various threads that you often give inaccurate portrayals of others' ideas. 

Does Fremer, or ML, or Serinus, or Reichert really have "ideas"?  This would seem to indicate a consistency that they don't appear even capable of as they are from beginning to end 'impressionist'.  Perhaps it is more accurate to say they have "an angle".  With Fremer and his vinyl schtick and Stereophile and "the industry", MQA needs to fit into that angle.  That's the thing about sales - it is almost infinitely pliable and adaptable to whatever you need to be selling at the moment...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

You are generally a sensible poster but you went off the rails. I specifically discussing Fremer's characterization of digital in relation to vinyl. I KNOW he has been somewhat complimentary to very expensive digital front ends and to SACD in general.

You offered a lazy defense of Fremer. The fact is my main point is that the Miracle of MQA opened up the heavens and parted the seas for him in vinyl comparisons, where nothing else has.

The dCS review, linked below is a train wreck. He says in this review, of the NINETY THOUSAND dollar set up that SACD playback of the Rolling Stones was neck and neck with his vinyl versions.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-scarlatti-sacdcd-playback-system-page-4

Dissembling. What you said was inaccurate and I callled you on it. Now you are backtacking and again selectively quoting. If you read his reviews and judged them fairly, you’d see that he’s said similar things about much cheaper disc players, too. So “lazy defense” - as well as “lazy attack” applies to what you write, not to me.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, HalSF said:

Hey @Brinkman Ship — can I ask you an off-topic question? 

You seem to *really* enjoy antagonistic denunciatory argumentation and scorched-earth debate, but every now and then I feel like I see a glint of mellowness and a glimpse of the hi-fi music lover lurking behind the no-rules fighter. I feel like I know all too well what you hate, despise, find shameful and dishonest, and what you revile as despicable shilling,  to the point where catching up with an overwhelmingly aggro thread like this sometimes makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

But anyone who cares this much must have something to uphold and uplift besides winning this tiny corner of the Internet. How about a brief ceasefire?. Could you tell me something about what you find inspiring and positive about listening to music via great gear and technology? Tell me a little about what you love and approve of? When you're not laying down suppressing fire, what is the hi-fi balm for your soul and what gives you joy and rocks your hi-fi world? Why are you a computer audiophile, what are your fighting for on the affirmative, embracing side? I don't want to believe it's all about being pissed off all the time for you, and nothing more.

Off topic but you already said that ?

More to the point though, the moonbeam and butterfly audiophile confessional of "what music means to me" is just boring...

3 hours ago, adamdea said:

because the whole thing is a shtick for MF to be able to bless digtial components by saying they sound analogue. he has actually been recycling this at last digital sounds like analogue thing for years.

Exactly, it's just an angle used to sell you something, and whether it really is what he thinks or not is quite besides the point because he would not be where he is unless the angle was prioritized over whatever truth there is to be found in the matter...

15 hours ago, HalSF said:

Hey @Brinkman Ship — can I ask you an off-topic question? 

You seem to *really* enjoy antagonistic denunciatory argumentation and scorched-earth debate, but every now and then I feel like I see a glint of mellowness and a glimpse of the hi-fi music lover lurking behind the no-rules fighter. I feel like I know all too well what you hate, despise, find shameful and dishonest, and what you revile as despicable shilling,  to the point where catching up with an overwhelmingly aggro thread like this sometimes makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

But anyone who cares this much must have something to uphold and uplift besides winning this tiny corner of the Internet. How about a brief ceasefire?. Could you tell me something about what you find inspiring and positive about listening to music via great gear and technology? Tell me a little about what you love and approve of? When you're not laying down suppressing fire, what is the hi-fi balm for your soul and what gives you joy and rocks your hi-fi world? Why are you a computer audiophile, what are your fighting for on the affirmative, embracing side? I don't want to believe it's all about being pissed off all the time for you, and nothing more.

...what he said @crenca

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mdzaki said:

well I Own a brinkmann nyquist dac ii ...and is sounds amazing with the rest of my system...i'v never relied on this measurement or that ...just used what sounds good to my ears

wait...Nyquist DAC II??? They are already upgraded this thing after a year and a half? ?

Okay. Well I am glad you enjoy it. Not being sarcastic.

On September 26, 2018 at 8:58 PM, crenca said:

Off topic but you already said that ?

More to the point though, the moonbeam and butterfly audiophile confessional of "what music means to me" is just boring...

I took a long time-out from the site after posting above and only returned just this morning. Something in my @Brinkman Ship Spidey sense quivered I guess. 

Tanned and refreshed, I feel more commited to the moonbeam and butterfly confessional of "what music means to me" lifestyle than ever. But you be you.

:) at ya.

44 minutes ago, HalSF said:

I took a long time-out from the site after posting above and only returned just this morning. Something in my @Brinkman Ship Spidey sense quivered I guess. 

Tanned and refreshed, I feel more commited to the moonbeam and butterfly confessional of "what music means to me" lifestyle than ever. But you be you.

:) at ya.

Well, send me some beam'n'butterfly when you are at it ;).  Do you have any idea who Ship really is?  Only maverick I can think of who it might be is Waldrep, but then I am not an "inside baseball" kind of guy when it comes to writers and the industry...

22 minutes ago, crenca said:

Well, send me some beam'n'butterfly when you are at it ;).  Do you have any idea who Ship really is?  Only maverick I can think of who it might be is Waldrep, but then I am not an "inside baseball" kind of guy when it comes to writers and the industry...

If you Google his former alias (the one before Brinkman ship), you will find his music related site easily. 

One thing I can say about BS, he wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight! :)

3 minutes ago, Indydan said:

If you Google his former alias (the one before Brinkman ship), you will find his music related site easily. 

One thing I can say about BS, he wouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight! :)

Thanks.  A quick perusal did not indicate anything obvious that the owner/operator of that site is the same based on writing style, content, etc. but then it was a quick look over.  I wonder if he borrowed the moniker?  Also, that site is pretty thin, almost like a hobbyist site as opposed to a real industry player/writer....

All that said, what do I know ?  

1 hour ago, crenca said:

Thanks.  A quick perusal did not indicate anything obvious that the owner/operator of that site is the same based on writing style, content, etc. but then it was a quick look over.  I wonder if he borrowed the moniker?  Also, that site is pretty thin, almost like a hobbyist site as opposed to a real industry player/writer....

The Brian Lucey interview seems like a possibly significant clue.

http://fairhedon.com/2017/11/05/an-interview-with-mastering-engineer-brian-lucey/

4 minutes ago, HalSF said:

The Brian Lucey interview seems like a possibly significant clue.

http://fairhedon.com/2017/11/05/an-interview-with-mastering-engineer-brian-lucey/

So, Brinkman Ship is a Brian Lucey shill. That explains a lot.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

15 hours ago, crenca said:

Hi Crenca. If you look at Fair Hedon's avatar on CA  note that he uses the same branding picture on the Fair Hedon site.  So I don't think he was trying to hide the identity match at that time.
http://fairhedon.com/

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/profile/32399-fair-hedon/

Looks like access to this site is now very limited. hmmmmm....

There is a post on the Brinkman Ship mqa test thread where he lists home system. A number of matching components came up when reading reviews on Fair Hedon site.

On 9/27/2018 at 9:14 AM, adamdea said:

because the whole thing is a shtick for MF to be able to bless digtial components by saying they sound analogue. he has actually been recycling this at last digital sounds like analogue thing for years.

It called Marketing 101.   Get a good review, ups sells and maybe a little kick back to the reviewer or the mag.

The Truth Is Out There