IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

12 minutes ago, Nikhil said:

Laughable conclusion on your part. 

It means exactly what he says it is - MQA is an elaborate scam.

And before you go off knocking down Bob's paper, mind you it is exactly the same conclusion as the McGill study.

It is just that Bob doesn't have to stand on formalities and calls out MQA as the BS that it is. 

The McGill study is a tricky one.  On the one hand it would show that MQA encoded to 48 khz size equals 24/96.  On the other hand it would show that deblurring isn't making for any improvements.  Of course we don't know if 24/48 or 16/44 would have been detected either do we?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

10 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

I don't personally know anyone else who buys music, either on physical media, or even downloads.  I don't even know anyone who uses a streaming service, other than free youtube.

My music is too important to me, so I've always bought physical media.  LPs and cassettes as a child and teen, then CDs, and now CDs, SACDs, and the occasional Blu-ray audio disc.  I was the same way with movies and favorite tv shows, buying them on VHS, then DVD, and then Blu-ray.  I'm glad I chose that path, although it's been very expensive over the years, because so many recordings and movies I love are no longer available.

I don't like renting.  Renting/streaming are for "music discovery" for me, and if I like it, I'll buy it.  I don't like downloads, either, because I don't have the patience any longer for backups of backups, after discovering random tiny glitches in various FLAC files after all the time I spent painstakingly ripping and tagging hundreds of classical CDs in my collection about 8 or 9 years ago (EAC test and copy losslessly, my own accurate custom tags with full information on complex classical releases--it took forever!).  Ugh.  Never again.  I've never had CD rot, if that's even a real thing, after buying thousands of CDs since 1987.  CD may not be Perfect Sound Forever, but it has been closer for me than anything else so far hahaha!

DRM on physical media, even in the most restrictive sense of copy prevention, doesn't worry me as long as the format is something that will last, both in terms of the media and the playback hardware.  All of my SACDs are hybrid, so even if the hardware goes away completely one day, I can still play the CD layer, and can make a physical backup of that layer as well, so I didn't have a problem with those purchases.  But I will never buy a download that has any sort of copy prevention, or the risk of it being implemented in the future.  I have one movie I bought from Apple that I can't watch, because I don't remember the user name, password, email, or anything from the account I used when I bought it.  I save that unviewable file as a reminder.  hahaha!

10 hours ago, Jud said:

I have always bought music up until now. Qobuz Sublime+ may change that to a mix with a lot of streaming and selected purchases.  Listening with Audirvana+ on Windows upsampling to DSD512, and nearly everything sounds pretty terrific.  (The new Kurt Vile at the moment.)

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I buy.  Streaming services don't really have what I want, and I also do not patronize Rent-to-Buy furniture stores.

AFAIK, Streaming is for Millenials.

I do "stream" in the sense of using YouTube somewhat.

I also buy, but the rest of my family streaming.

But I was talking about the consumer slice that really matters to labels, not the minuscule audiophile market.

If the masses are streaming what's the point of having DRM?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

6 hours ago, Nikhil said:

I think Bob Carver brilliantly cut through the BS.  In other words after all the silly "folding" hogwash the signal ultimately came out at the end of the wire with negligible difference at best.   All this after some poor soul(s) at <insert hardware manufacture here> has signed an NDA that now exposes them to some legal risk.  And you have all the silly hoops one has to jump through to gain access to the MQA file in the first place. 

721484182_BobCarverMQA.thumb.jpg.15a62379211e571dbd5a143d9e927d30.jpg

I am not aware of the ins and outs of NDA's, would the MQA NDA be any different in general to what might be signed for a manufacturer to incorporate Dolby Atmos in their product line for instance?  Seems like there is a lot of hiding behind the NDA.

Jim

Hi,

Did a search on Amazon to see if there are any MQA CD's. There are now a few more :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Espresso-MQA-Bob-James-Trio/dp/B07FDKXD1C/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1539801387&amp;sr=1-2&amp;keywords=mqa

The product description states :

MQA is an award-winning technology that delivers the sound of the studio. Imagine being present at the original studio performance of your favourite recording artist. Every nuance, every subtlety, every tiny drop of emotion delivered to your ears. MQA CD plays back on all CD players. When a conventional CD player is connected to an MQA-enabled device, the CD will reveal the original master quality.

What the product description does NOT state is that when playing an MQA CD through a CD player or streamer that is NOT MQA enabled, that the sound is degraded compared to a normal CD (that is S/N=78dB as opposed to S/N=96dB for normal CD).

I think that this aspect should be noted for every MQA CD sold, and if people do not have the MQA enabled DAC that they should purchase the non-MQA CD ?

What laws cover this in the requisite countries ?

Regards,

Shadders.

1 minute ago, Lee Scoggins said:

In reading Bob's "paper", I don't see a peer-reviewed-like description of his test method.  Lots of details are missing.

Whereas Bob Stuart's work is detailed in peer-reviewed publications.  Shouldn't Bob Carver be held to the same standard?

You sound like a Brexiteer... In spite of all the evidence, you carry on unfazed.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)