IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

https://books.google.com/books?id=3cYWAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA487

What makes these beliefs irrational is their inflexibility and absoluteness. I must be loved and approved; I must be thoroughly competent; I need someone stronger than myself. The client firmly believes things must be a particular way or something awful or catastrophic will happen. Ellis has used the term musterbation to refer to this kind of irrational thinking. Any time you find yourself thinking that something must be a particular way, you're guilty of musterbation.

2 hours ago, mansr said:

All components (and cables) sound exactly alike. There are no differences between a $5 clock radio and the finest system money can buy. If you have evidence to the contrary, you are not permitted to say so in this thread. We like our beliefs and wish to keep them undisturbed by reality.

Wonderful. Much better than hijacking somebody else' thread. You might even want to grant Sal co-authorship and ask Chris to make this a sticky. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 hours ago, mansr said:

We like our beliefs

4 hours ago, christopher3393 said:
4 hours ago, mansr said:

We're like our beliefs 

IMO both sentences make sense and are true.

As for the main topic - I can't even hear the difference between a nightingale singing and the sound of a train coming. I always have to look to know whether it's the former or the later (I probably haven't tried to travel by nightingale yet only due to the fact that my eyesight is still quite good).

And that's why I (and probably no one) would never pay for a clock radio as much as for McIntosh or Devialet. You'd have to be blind not to see the difference between them, right.?

38 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

It is then up to the newbie, given two sides of an argument to then go off on his own realizing that there are possibly two equally sincere points of view on the subject and research the topic on his own.  

I'm so glad there's a grownup in the room.  This makes me realize why I like to play with kids.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

8 minutes ago, esldude said:

I just taped a $20 bill to my DAC.  However, I used multi-modal mapping to determine the exact place to tape.  It resulted in a $400 improvement in sound.  The music now has a visceral quality that was completely missing.

What kind of tape did you use?

I recommend a good pressure sensitive adhesive with plasticizer resistance.   Unless you never listen to rock music and have no clue that there is a band called The Who, then I would suggest something with a low-surface energy material.  If it doesn't cost over $100/meter, it is crap.