IGNORED

The Most Underrated Performers (Any Genre)

16 hours ago, joelha said:

AC/DC

I never underrated AC/DC - me and my friends used to dance (!) to their music at parties in my high school days (some didn't even need booze or other consciousness altering substances) :) and in general I don't think they are particularly underrated band.

I started this thread hoping people will post information about less known performers who deserved much bigger popularity due to the quality of music created by them.

Can be also most underrated albums..

Some that first came to mind:

Usually disliked by Metallica fans. IMO lots of really good (less orthodox metal than usual) stuff:

XzXac4P.jpg

Bootleg SQ but the music is pure fire (Jack deJohnette plays like in a trance) and there was a reason for that :

"Miles Davis was shot and wounded in the hip by unknown assailants in the early morning of October 9 as he sat in a parked car with a friend in New Yorkís East Village. The injury was not serious, and Davis was treated at a hospital and released. The trumpeter, who was appearing at the Blue Coronet in Brooklyn, told police that he had been warned, four days prior to the assault, not to appear at the club, located in Bedford-Stuyvesant, unless he paid part of his salary to the unidentified man making the threats. Davis offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the identification and/or arrest of his assailants. He said he would never again play at the club." (Down Beat, November 13, 1969)

R-2814035-1302212918.jpeg.jpg

I'm not sure it's underrated but I think not that many know this fantastic album (afro-blues fusion) :

5060091556546.jpg

As for performers I will add Mari Boine IMO one of the most beautiful female voices on this planet.

"Most underrated performer" is a difficult topic imo. After giving it a lot of thought, I discarded all my choices and came up with no one is really underrated. Ones I initially thought of as underrated are actually well regarded within their niche. Most seem to be pretty much where they deserve to be and that's meant in a good way.

I think Taylor Swift is underrated by most adults - I started a thread on her.

She creates for her age/gender cohort and deals with the issues they face (bad boyfriends).  She may evolve into something more interesting with age; even if not, she is very good at what she does.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

She creates for her age/gender cohort and deals with the issues they face (bad boyfriends).  She may evolve into something more interesting with age; even if not, she is very good at what she does.

I actually agree with you.  Normally I wouldn't have listened to her, but I have 4 nieces.

No electron left behind.

19 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

17 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I actually agree with you.  Normally I wouldn't have listened to her, but I have 4 nieces.

Tay-Tay take your overexposed tween pop star adoration to her devoted thread.   :P  ➡️

The real commotion setting young hearts afire is this kid.  (Let's be civil and keep in mind his age.)

giphy.gif

On 9/19/2018 at 5:32 PM, rando said:

Tay-Tay take your overexposed tween pop star adoration to her devoted thread.   :P  ➡️

The real commotion setting young hearts afire is this kid.  (Let's be civil and keep in mind his age.)

giphy.gif

Has energized a whole new generation of Country Western yodelers!

And speaking of underrated, here is a feast for your ear:

"From its earliest entry into European music of whatever type, the yodel tended to be associated with nature, instinct, wilderness, pre-industrial and pastoral civilization, or similar ideas. It continues to be associated with rural and folk musics or to connote those in other contexts. Because of this original folk connection, yodeling remained associated with the outdoors, with rustic rather than sophisticated personae, and with particular emotional or psychological states or semantic fields."[