IGNORED

Comparison of 2 DACs

I will list some features of two different DACs that may be of interest for their SQ.  I will let people know which two DACs are 'compared' later on, so please don't reveal the brands or models if you think you know.

This is the sort of thing an ordinary or somewhat clued-in consumer might do in order to narrow choices for a (subsequent) listen test.

See if you think one feature is better than the other for SQ...

Let's start with the Clock:

DAC #1 has a femto clock system.

DAC #2 advertises that it has circuitry that analyzes the digital input for both jitter and center frequency, then routes the signal to one of several "clock systems" that will regenerate the signal in the most optimal manner.

7 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

I will list some features of two different DACs that may be of interest for their SQ.  I will let people know which two DACs are 'compared' later on, so please don't reveal the brands or models if you think you know.

This is the sort of thing an ordinary or somewhat clued-in consumer might do in order to narrow choices for a (subsequent) listen test.

See if you think one feature is better than the other for SQ...

Let's start with the Clock:

DAC #1 has a femto clock system.

DAC #2 advertises that it has circuitry that analyzes the digital input for both jitter and center frequency, then routes the signal to one of several "clock systems" that will regenerate the signal in the most optimal manner.

Don’t think one feature is better than other. I mainly narrow down choices based on comments of impressions of how products sound.

please avoid personal attacks & stick to the topic

assuming everyone is done with clock comments, let's move on to the power supplies...

DAC #1 uses a Low-noise linear regulator

DAC #2 is more specific, and uses 2 transformers (one for digital, one for analog)

The analog PS is a discrete, dual mono, shunt-regulated.

The digital PS has 12 separate local regulated supplies for DACs and digital sections; high-precision, low-noise LM723 regulation in critical areas.

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

it's a question, more than a point - can a consumer use features (or ads) to help in the penultimate selection of a group of DACs?

(I assume the final choice will be done via listening comparisons, and a test comparison esp. if $$$ involved)

I once arrived at the conclusion having heard much gear, that if well chosen, the price to performance ratio of audio gear followed a 4th power function.  To get twice the subjective result required 16 times the money.  

The curve for amplifiers might be still be about that.  Speakers probably still trend about that way though the whole market for speakers has improved.  I think everything else is much steeper than that.  Higher than a 4th power function.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

23 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

aka, The Law of Diminishing Returns

Yes, but arrived at scientifically via extended subjective listening experiences.  :)

So maybe 800% gets 40% subjective improvement.  I estimate DACs are a 6th power thing. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

please avoid personal attacks & stick to the topic

assuming everyone is done with clock comments, let's move on to the power supplies...

DAC #1 uses a Low-noise linear regulator

DAC #2 is more specific, and uses 2 transformers (one for digital, one for analog)

The analog PS is a discrete, dual mono, shunt-regulated.

The digital PS has 12 separate local regulated supplies for DACs and digital sections; high-precision, low-noise LM723 regulation in critical areas.

Not easy to evaluate based on a subset of features alone.

#1 is likely better when proper Async clock domain crossing is used. #2 would be beneficial for SPDIF or I2S etc but still likely uses a PLL. I’d assume #2 isn’t a purely USB input.

If the multiple power supplies are used properly, this could be an advantage. A single power supply likely feeds multiple onboard DC/DC converters and or LDO so #1 is not supplying these details in the marketing literature. 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

So if we are talking about an 8:1 ratio in price, is the exercise to see if an audiophile could make a decision to spend 8x the dollars on specs, component subsets, and advertising?

Stupid car analogy, but that would be like a potential Ford Focus buyer trying to decide if he should buy a Porsche 911 GT3 instead.  He'll probably end up with the Ford Focus RS instead.  That is truly sad.  

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

You mean it simultaneously sounds great and sounds like crap—until you plug it in? 

Something like that.   You've got the general idea.  Now did I have the general idea?  We'll have to wait on Ralf11 to find out. 

For the 3rd Design Feature:  The Output Stage

DAC #1 uses a "new output buffer design"  (obviously not too helpful, and likely relates to the digital side), but they go on to tout a fully balanced design with dual output transformers

DAC #2 uses an Output Stage that is Class A, with fully discrete JFET buffers