IGNORED

WD My Book Duo ok initial step toward NAS?

I have about 5000 songs on iTunes on a ten year old Dell laptop that I am a little nervous about.  I have a Sonos that I really like and would like to access the iTures music and some flac files currently on the Dell.  Rather than go all in on an NAS I'd like to save the songs to a WD My Book Duo to access through my Xfinity router wirelessly from the Sonos upstairs.  Is this an ok first step?

8 hours ago, davide256 said:

How would the Sonos find your music? Don't you need iTunes or some sort of media server running on a NAS if you want to play your iTunes library from a device

other than your laptop?

Doesn't the Sonos have a smartphone application that can browse and play files from the NAS?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, semente said:

Doesn't the Sonos have a smartphone application that can browse and play files from the NAS?

As far as I can tell from their specs, the WD My Book Duo is just an external RAID enclosure, no OS/software included. That's very limiting in terms of options to access; if router

attached, the router would have to support acting as a simple file server for USB attached hard drive. The default drive format is NTFS, so the OP would also need 

to be sure that whatever second device he attaches it to will work OK for read/write with NTFS file system or else find out if the WD device supports a drive format

compatible with the router 

NAS enclosures "come with" software and make their internal drive format independent of the external machines performing read/write with them.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system