IGNORED

New multi-channel sound system built around a miniDSP U-DIO8

I am planning to building a music listening new system.  I was planning to upgrade my speakers and pre/pro & amp.  I have been looking at the new NAD M17v2 for the pre/pro.  That unit costs $6000.  I only need a 5.1 system (80% music with a substantial amount of than in multi-channel). I am reluctant to spend that much money for features I really do not need.  Which leads me to consider a system built around the new miniDSP U-DIO8 for under $3000.  Something like:

new HTPC (with i7 to provide enough processing power for Dirac)

miniDSP U-DIO8

3 x Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus

NAD M27 amp

4 x B&W 702 S2's and appropriate center channel

2 subs (undetermined)

I have two questions on this type of system.  The first question is how could I incorporate TV viewing into the system.  I mainly watch TV from services like Netflix which would run on the HTPC. However I would like to have the option to run cable/satellite or OTA into the system.  The sound from which would need to pass thru the HTPC for the Dirac room correction.  Practically all of the audio interfaces I see on new mini-itx motherboards provide only sound output.

The second question is how would a turntable be incorporated into such a system?

HTPC (ASUS mini-itx, Intel i3, Lian-Li case)

Denon 4308

B&W CM-5's, B&W CM Center, B&W M-1's

11 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

That article is what informed me of the miniDSP U-DIO8.  I had read your various articles on multi-channel audio DAC's.  I will probably use the JRiver software in the new HTPC build (my current HTPC just runs MediaMonkey).  What software would enable the use of the audio from the cable/satellite box?  The source being digital would make the process easier.  As far as the analog phono I am at a complete loss.  I think the NAD M27 has both balanced and unbalanced inputs.  Are there any phono preamps with digital output?

HTPC (ASUS mini-itx, Intel i3, Lian-Li case)

Denon 4308

B&W CM-5's, B&W CM Center, B&W M-1's

2 hours ago, geronimo1958 said:

What software would enable the use of the audio from the cable/satellite box?  The source being digital would make the process easier.  As far as the analog phono I am at a complete loss.  I think the NAD M27 has both balanced and unbalanced inputs.  Are there any phono preamps with digital output?

I have no real idea.  The DacMagic has multiple S/PDIF inputs and, if the other sources are stereo-only, you can use one of those inputs with the DacMagic volume control.  

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

• 9 months later...
On 9/11/2018 at 8:15 PM, Kal Rubinson said:

What you propose can work (I have done it) but the answers to your questions depend on your choise of software, more than on the hardware.

A question for you sir,

I stream Netflix to my MacBook pro, which is connected to my TV via HDMI.

I cast the sound via AirPlay to my streamer which is connected to 2.2 stereo system consisting of Genelec monitors/subs.

As it stands, all the movies in Neflix appear without Dolby 5.1 icon. 

I suspect the reason is Netflix recognizing my Mac as being stereo only.

Now, if I connect the U-DIO8 via USB to my Mac, will Netflix then show the Dolby 5.1 icon? 

In other words, the integration of the mindsp cause Netflix send down its movies in in 5.1 format?

I would really love to set up a 5.1 with an AES protocol...

Thanks for all the help.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

On 9/11/2018 at 9:15 AM, Kal Rubinson said:

What you propose can work (I have done it) but the answers to your questions depend on your choise of software, more than on the hardware.

Could you get the sound synced with the video using the miniDSP U-DIO8?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

1 minute ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Never tried.

Ah, therein lies the rub. It is listed as Async, and that often has too large of a buffer to sync properly. Did you ever try DSD material with it? The DIY i2s version claims to work with DSD. I have an 8 channel Twisted Pear Buffalo II i have wanted to assemble with this.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

35 minutes ago, 4est said:

Ah, therein lies the rub. It is listed as Async, and that often has too large of a buffer to sync properly. Did you ever try DSD material with it? The DIY i2s version claims to work with DSD. I have an 8 channel Twisted Pear Buffalo II i have wanted to assemble with this.

Video is not one of my interests.  OTOH, I have used the U-DIO8 with 6channel DSD-DoP and that works fine.  Just be sure that your player does the proper channel-mapping for the music format you use.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Does anyone know whether the AES signal is checksummed by the U-dio8? That is, there's CRC logic inside to ensure signal integrity, and retransmit if necessary? 

(SPDIF doesn't of course). 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 5:45 AM, geronimo1958 said:

I am planning to building a music listening new system.  I was planning to upgrade my speakers and pre/pro & amp.  I have been looking at the new NAD M17v2 for the pre/pro.  That unit costs $6000.  I only need a 5.1 system (80% music with a substantial amount of than in multi-channel). I am reluctant to spend that much money for features I really do not need.  Which leads me to consider a system built around the new miniDSP U-DIO8 for under $3000.  Something like:

new HTPC (with i7 to provide enough processing power for Dirac)

miniDSP U-DIO8

3 x Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus

What about evaluating an 8 channels DAC instead?

i.e. https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dac8

The 2 unused channels might be used for the advanced multisub bass management of the future Dirac Live with Bass Management option

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)