IGNORED

Article: Dutch & Dutch 8c Loudspeaker Review

33 minutes ago, PeterG said:

Some great interesting stuff here, but very hard to put these into context.  What do they cost?  How do they compare to the usual suspects near that price point, such as B&W, Focal, Sonus Faber, etc?  Who should buy them?

This is a true all-in-one system which should be compared to the likes of Kii or Grimm. The Dutch & Dutch 8C are soon to be "Roon Endpoint Ready", meaning that all you need to do is plug them into your home network (over Ethernet) running Roon on a server to enjoy music from Tidal etc. and/or stored music from a NAS or computer.

To build a similar system with passive components on this elevated level with such unique characteristics under €10.000 would be a challenge, if not impossible. This is a system for the serious music lover who wants accuracy and simplicity on the highest level possible.

The retail price for the Dutch & Dutch 8C reviewed in Europe is approx. €10.000. 

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se (proud importer of Dutch & Dutch in Sweden)

PERFECT SENSE

www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | [email protected] | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

2 hours ago, Daverz said:

Why did I have to google for the price of the speakers?  I assume the price listed at the site below, $6295, is per speaker, not per pair.

https://legendaryproaudio.com/product/dutch-dutch-8c/

Another review that's excellent on the technical issues.  It's just sad that Mitch doesn't like music (I'm joking, of course, but a bit ruefully.)

Re: price - see my response to PeterG...

Thanks, but not understanding your comment...?

1 hour ago, Emlin said:

Hi Mitch. How were you controlling the volume (and mute) on these? The Kii has the Control which seems very convenient. Did you try the web browser "app" for this? If so, is it adequate?

Emlin, I did try the web app volume control and worked fine - no audible issues that I was able to discern. However, I am using JRiver's internal 64bit digital volume control as I spend most of my time in JRiver selecting tunes I want to listen too. Mostly listen at reference level or background music level... so don't spend much time adjusting the volume. My wife liked the Kii Controller, but I found I never used it. Old habits die hard...

2 hours ago, mitchco said:

Emlin, I did try the web app volume control and worked fine - no audible issues that I was able to discern. However, I am using JRiver's internal 64bit digital volume control as I spend most of my time in JRiver selecting tunes I want to listen too. Mostly listen at reference level or background music level... so don't spend much time adjusting the volume. My wife liked the Kii Controller, but I found I never used it. Old habits die hard...

Thanks for getting back to me, but I was not so much concerned about the quality of the web app volume control, but more its usability. As the 8Cs don't have a USB input to connect a PC running JRiver (or whatever), it looks like another (expensive) box with remote control would be necessary for my needs if the app isn't up to it (as I've heard elsewhere). As good as these things seem to be, the lack of a decent interface in a domestic environment could be their Achilles heel, it seems. What are your thoughts on that? Thanks.

Hi @mitchco

Another wonderful review.

All the latest discussions I've read about the Kii3's have lately been mentioning these Dutch & Dutch speakers.

So to have your reviews, almost back to back, is awesome.

Quick question - have Dutch & Dutch indicated to you what the streaming capabilities currently are and what they are working on adding? Roon? Others?

Cheers!

Fantastic review - as you always deliver Mitcho. Enjoyed reading it!

Couple of questions - when you talk about positioning the speakers close to the back wall - it looks like one is actually up against a glass window. Does glass - as opposed to a traditional wall surface - effect the sound in any way?

Also, as well as getting rid of dac/pre/amplifier/cables etc - does this system mean you can ditch unsightly room treatments as well?

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Mitchco, I love the way you do your reviews.  I'd say this one is super, but all your articles and reviews are. 

Very interesting times with speakers like the Dutch&Dutch and Kii Three's around.  Hopefully the opening salvos in a barrage of such devices soon to be available.   

Dennis, coming from you, thank you, I really appreciate it!

Yes, I hope so! I feel folks are missing out on how good speakers can sound when they can be tuned to one's room and voiced for a neutral response. It really makes a big difference!

@Emlin Ah, I see what you are saying and understood. I am hoping that Martijn @mensink can drop by and comment on the roadmap for the user interface. I know he was on his way to Beijing, so maybe a bit before he can comment...

@Em2016  Thanks! Good question. Yes, I understand Roon integration is being developed, but I am hoping like above, Martijn can join the conversation and comment on the streaming roadmap...

16 hours ago, mitchco said:

They don't compare to the usual suspects is the point of my article. This is next level loudspeaker engineering that takes into consideration room effects, that other manufactures do not...  Amongst the other points made in my conclusion.

With all due respect, I think you've missed my point.  Whatever the technical benefits or features might be, we still need to know how good they sound, and that requires a reference to something that most of us understand

23 minutes ago, PeterG said:

With all due respect, I think you've missed my point.  Whatever the technical benefits or features might be, we still need to know how good they sound, and that requires a reference to something that most of us understand

Given that the room is the biggest instrument and has the largest effect on sound, how do you suggest someone start with a reference that everyone can understand?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 hours ago, CJH said:

Is digital input max 24/192 with internal processing at 96kHz? No mention on their site.

CJH

Good quetion for Martijn @mensink 

2 hours ago, gcoupe said:

I see that the D&D speakers actually have a fan in the base to help cool the electronics. Did this ever kick in during your testing, and did it cause any distraction/negative impact?

Yes the fan kicked in, but I never heard it from the listening position. I could barely hear it with my ear right by the speaker/stand with no music playing. It is very quiet.