IGNORED

power supplies BEFORE FCoE?

power supplies BEFORE FCoE?

OK thinking of FCoE after router to > player PC, to reduce noise. Does it matter what PSU you use BEFORE the FCoE because the FCoE is supposed to negate EMI/RFI/ripple noise? i.e. are wall warts OK before the FCoE, (or is LPSU still required even before the FCoE)? If yes(?) - why?

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Are you really doing FCoE? The cables look like fiberoptic Ethernet.

Power supplies: possible that improved power would help cheap 1GBe equipment. 10Gbe equipment from major vendor unlikely to benefit because the newer specs already mandate a low level of jitter end to end. I personally use 10Gbe equipment run at 1 Gbe for audio and just plug it in.

Yes I think it is fibreoptic ethernet, Sorry! These terms get bandied about a lot on the web and so leads to confusion due to similar naming. Uninformed surfers mix up the two (or three) terms in general and then pass this on to other surfers who then spread the confusion even further, and so on and so forth.... Mine is the 1 Gbe cheapo gear.

I don't know how 10Gbe works or connects to audio gear?

Many thanks for saying improved power MAY help 1Gbe gear. All good fun, may give it a go with el cheapo LPSU's.

14 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

...is the 10 Gbe you use FCoE?

10 Gbe is 10 Gigabit Ethernet

Fiberchannel is different protocol that can run over Ethernet (FCoE) but I have no need for that at home, nor do you. Switches that are able to do FCoE (perhaps with additional licensing) such as the Brocade VDX 6720 (which I have at home and which I use for Ethernet) generally are perfectly good for "regular" Ethernet. I only use a small fraction of the capability of my switch but they are giving them away on eBay so if you have a quiet place to put one, and can use ~24 SFP(+) ports, then consider.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

4 hours ago, jabbr said:

10 Gbe is 10 Gigabit Ethernet

Fiberchannel is different protocol that can run over Ethernet (FCoE) but I have no need for that at home, nor do you. Switches that are able to do FCoE (perhaps with additional licensing) such as the Brocade VDX 6720 (which I have at home and which I use for Ethernet) generally are perfectly good for "regular" Ethernet. I only use a small fraction of the capability of my switch but they are giving them away on eBay so if you have a quiet place to put one, and can use ~24 SFP(+) ports, then consider.

cheapest I see is £604 (UK/Ireland) my area!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brocade-BR-VDX6720-24-24-port-SFP-10G-Layer-3-Switch-1U-Reverse-Airflow-2PSU/173253402044?hash=item2856b51dbc:g:eQoAAOSw301aYTIa

however I don't think I need 24 ports at the moment! (LOL)....

• 3 weeks later...

power supplies BEFORE FE?

OK thinking of FE after router to > player PC, to reduce noise. Does it matter what PSU you use BEFORE the FE because the FE is supposed to negate EMI/RFI/ripple noise? i.e. are wall warts OK before the FE, (or is LPSU still required even before the FE)? If yes(?) - why?

Many thanks!

No proper answer so far?