IGNORED

My move to Apple TV

I'm officially in the 21st century now. CDP is probably ready for retirement. The new apple TV is now feeding my music addiction.

Inital Setup:

Day 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M3ff7R84w8

CAPS => Wyred4Sound DAC2dsdSE w\femto => PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp => Wyred4Sound ST1000 mk II => PMC IB2S

JRiver & JRemote.

Chord Company speaker and IC cables

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks

Thanks Bill, BTW I have the AKG K702s and they're bloody awesome! Love 'em. Everytime I put them on I say to myself "why don't I use these more" and then I proceed to spend the next 2 hours lost in music. And what a bargain...

CAPS => Wyred4Sound DAC2dsdSE w\femto => PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Preamp => Wyred4Sound ST1000 mk II => PMC IB2S

JRiver & JRemote.

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks

A highly underrated headphone IMO. I have no doubt there are better out there but I can't imagine how much "better" as the AKGs seem to do so much right IMO.

Is the acoustic treatment on the wall behind your system DIY? If so, what materials did you use?

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Hey Bill, funny you should ask. You see, normally my system is in a different room. In that room I do have some very nice acoustic panels I purchased from audimute. But I've been temporarily ousted from my regular digs and the room my system is in now used to have a big king size bed on that wall and that's the headboard you've noticed, lol! But it does look like an acoustic wall treatment. Eventually, the bed goes back in here and I go back to my old room. Oh the joys of having small children. :)

JRiver & JRemote.

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks

Guest hifichip76

Very nice!

I just got the "old" Apple TV at half-price for the built-in HDD feature and ordered the new one, too. You have a very nice set-up there. I also use the AKG 701's, though I need a better amp to drive them.

You bet. An iTouch or iPhone will operate it just great. I'm happy with the remote that came with it for now, but maybe the iTouch will be in my future...

BTW, if all you want is music, you could just buy an airport express which will also stream iTunes music to your hifi, has a digital output, and works with the iTouch remote app. It's cheaper and does what you want, but there's no option to see the interface on a tv...

JRiver & JRemote.

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the Airport Express, but was interested in including an ATV because I understand that it can pull for your iTunes library rather than the AE which has music pushed to it from iTunes. If I understand correctly then with the ATV I could have two different things playing in different parts of the house accessing one iTunes library. Does that sound right?

If I understand correctly then with the ATV I could have two different things playing in different parts of the house accessing one iTunes library. Does that sound right?

Yes, that's correct.

And, from my initial investigation, I think the sound is better when used in local play (pull) mode, instead of as as AirPlay destination (push mode). In particular, HiRes files will get cleanly downconverted to 48kHz, whereas over AirTunes they get downconverted to 44.1kHz by iTunes, then upconverted to 48kHz in the Apple TV (with some quiet but audible clicks present).

nigel[br]ALAC stored on Drobo -> Mac Mini -> iTunes -> Airport Express (1st gen) -> Monoprice toslink -> NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier -> Wilson Benesch Curve

Now that I've upgraded to a high quality toslink, the ATV actually sounds superior to my old NAD 545 CD Player (which was no slouch IMO). I'm now using the wireworld supernova 6. I'm a skeptic at heart and it makes little sense, but it sure sounds cleaner with more open highs to me. Me like, me recommend... :)

JRiver & JRemote.

Stock power cords

Audimute Acoustic Panels

IKEA Rack

Zero tweaks