IGNORED

2.0 Speakers need RCA?

Hello everyone,

I'm a happy maverick D1 DAC owner. I want to buy active speakers to my set for ~300$. I was thinking of audioengine A5 because of the superb reviews on the net.

But it turns out that the A5 isn't equiped in RCA input, while my DAC has only analog RCA output the only option would be a Y adapter that goes from female RCA to a male mini-jack plug. won't this make the sound quality worse?

Should I find speakers that could be connected with RCA directly, or should I not bother? Could you give me any alternatives to the A5 in the 300$ price range?

I don't have any chance to listen to any speakers, so I can only depend on others opinions.

Kuba

If the AudioEngine have only 3.5mm input then RCA to mini-jack connector will be fine - the issue is that there are not many audiophile cables in this combination but Chord (and many others) make good cables in this configuration at around £30 which would suit.

Your alternative to the AudioEngine is pretty much any pair of speakers with an integrated amplifier. Not saying it will be better (or worse) but this is certainly an alternative. Or go down to your local pro-audio store and look at small powered monitor speakers there.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I know these guys are UK based but they do a mod to the A5 that swaps out the mini jack for RCA's.

As Eloise says there are a few companies that offer mini jack to RCA cables,add Kimber to the list with their GQ mini range.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers