IGNORED

Silent Roon Rock

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I believe the NUC boards used in this one are the identical NUC boards used in the Nucleus and ROCK approved NUCs. Gen7 Kaby Lake.

Actually for the i7  the i7-8650U is 8th Gen NUC, like found in the NUC7i7DNKE and faster than what's inside Nucleus and Nucleus Plus actually

1128077072_ScreenShot2018-08-28at11_19_06pm.thumb.png.1bacad0f13b0f97e89ae80e93c23ca2e.png

The NUC7i7D*** is Roon ROCK supported if that's indeed what's inside.

Best to ask the manufacturer to list the exact NUC models on their website.

If the NUC models are ROCK supported (looks like it but better they list the exact models) then that's a good build offer for those not wanting to DIY.

39 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

The i7 comes out to be half the price of Nucleus Plus (here in Australia anyway)  and actually faster (quad core).

If it's the NUC7i7DN** then that's ROCK supported.

Good point. Seems like a great deal for an upsampling ROCK server. Any downsides to this that anyone can think of (other than the color)? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just now, Em2016 said:

The only advantage Nucleus Plus has over ROCKs (for now) is Control4 integration, for home automation.

It's possible there may be future Nucleus exclusive too...

I hope they don't force people (by way of future exclusives) to the Nucleus models.

What do you mean by being exclusive?  Are they talking about make Roon only work with the Nucleus at some point?  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

On 8/28/2018 at 4:49 PM, firedog said:

Good point. Seems like a great deal for an upsampling ROCK server. Any downsides to this that anyone can think of (other than the color)? 

No space for an extra 2,5" drive. Nucleus is limited that way, by the height of the drives it can take: if you want more than a couple of Tb, you have to go SSD, and that's of course expensive as hell, but at least, it's possible to have a single box that does it all.

• 1 month later...

For the i7 version with 8gb of ram, 128gb SSD, wifi, and antennas, it's $1371. 

You can buy a stock NUC7i7DNHK on Amazon for $540, 8gb ram for $75, 118gb Intel 800P SSD for $200, and an Akasa Plato X7D for $130 and come in at ~$910. That gives you space for a spinning 2.5" HDD also. And, IMO, it looks cooler. Saves you $450.

In Chris's point, though, the option I outlined does take some very basic assembly vs. Logicsupply's 0. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...