IGNORED

PC Stereo System

I would like to do one of two options. They are to either buy some nice 2.1 active speakers and a subwoofer for my old desktop which runs XP. And just plug them into the back and enjoy (if that is even possible). Or buy a new computer with a high end sound card and a nice set of 2.1 active speakers, along with a sub-woofer.

I am wondering if trying this with my old computer is even wise, or should I just buy some cheap Creative Gigaworks T3 computer speakers?

I could buy a new computer, but have no idea on what motherboards are recommended nor what sound card to use, being that there are so many to look at.

I was looking at a variety of speakers at http://www.123dj.com/a_monitors.html They all look good, but I have no way to test them out. Is there a brand that is highly recommended?

I enjoy listening to some classic rock, world, ambient, and new age. Don't want the speakers to sound too warm and flat, nor to bright.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I love the AudioEngine speakers and have a pair of A5s set up with my TV. I'm also a fan of ZVOX speakers. They're designed as soundbars but they're really, really good for music as well. I have a ZVOX 325 and a nuforce icon uDAC in my office; the music sounds great as does any streaming films I watch on netflix. Miguel

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Chris, as a knowledgeable end user, as well as the site owner, you really should be aware that the AudioEngine are purely powered speakers and not active speakers. Active speakers have a line-level crossover and multiple amplifiers, one for each driver. The AudioEngine simply have a single amplifier for each speaker. It's pedantic but we should use the correct terms.

To the OP: depending on your budget, etc. you could look at the AudioEngine speakers (or "computer" speakers) or look at low end integrated amp and a pair of speakers - either new or second hand.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Ah: just banging on about how great the Adam A3-X is on another thread: should have said so here. But they are properly active (not merely powered) speakers, heaps more truthful and transparent than the AudioEngines (which I had before) and, I think, dirt cheap for 2x ribbon tweeters that extend to 50KHz plus 4x amplifiers and two sturdy (industrial-looking) cabinets. They sound magic, though.

Upsetting computers since 1978.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the search for a pair of pc speakers. Listened to the audio engine a2 and a5. liked them both and bought the a2. was blown away by the quality and volume of the sound from such small minimalist speakers.

Then I discovered true active studio speakers. Powered speakers, especially the a2's I have found, are very muddy in the sound they project. What seems like unbelievable bass is just distortion covering up other frequencies. I went looking for altenatives. Adam audio's old A5's were ok but I like krk's vxt 4. Both are small and unobstrusive and should sound more accurate than the audioengines. The best thing to do would be to buy as many as you can online, from vendors which offer 30 day return policies and test out yourself. If you are in the states, you are spoiled for choice, if not, I know how you feel. Despite what I or anyone says, the best thing for you to do is hear them for yourself.

Also try soundonsound website for reviews on the studio monitors. Very good info there.

Good luck.

Ps You should probably spend more on the speakers than the soundcard for greater results.

• 1 month later...

I ended up buy a pair of 6" KRK Rokit Active speakers along with a 10" KRK Active Sub.

I finally got the proper cables for them and have just started listening to them. They have no problem filling my 16' X 16' Living Room with sound. The sound also easily carries throughout the rest of my 16' X 76' Trailer House.

They have a nice accurate sound. I have no idea what to compare them to though. They do sound much nicer than my Sony Book Shelf System that I formerly used.

I'm running them through my old PC. If the CD player goes I should be able to replace it for $20 instead of $200 like my Sony.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. And to those of you that come upon this thread looking for the same information, make sure you buy the correct cables with your speakers. These ones took a 1/8" plug to double 1/4" to go from the back of the Computer to the Sub. From the Sub it took an XLR cable to go to each Speaker.