IGNORED

Advice On SSD Drives For Music Library And Backup

I have a need or want to look into changing from my current external HDD that are used to store my music library and for backups to SSD drives.  I am looking for advice.  

I have a MacBook Pro (circa 2014) with latest OS updates.  I currently have three Lacie D2 3TB Thunderbolt HDD.  One holds my music library.  The other two are backups with one using Time Machine and the other Carbon Copy Cloner.  I also have a Western Digital My Passport 2TB that is my "emergency" backup using Time Machine that is kept in a firesafe.

My need is primarily looks and logistics.  In my previous home I had a bedroom used as an office and my MacBook and the HDD resided on a desk there.  My new home is a small one bedroom condo with an open floor plan where the kitchen and living space are in one large room. The only place I have for the MacBook and HDDs are on the kitchen counter where I sit on a counter stool.  With the external power supply of the HDD and the charge cable of the MacBook and my power protector for those it is just a mess out in the open and taking up too much space.

The basic idea is with SSD drives they are power off of the MacBook.  I lose all of the external power connections.  I've always kept my MacBook plugged in and charged but I thought I could just deal with it like my iPad and iPhone and charge it every night after use.  The SSD drives are about 1/3 the size of my current HDD.  I lose the power protector.  It appeals to me to clean this swath of cables and HDD up.  But I don't want to throw out the baby with the bath water.

•  The SSD will run off the power of the MacBook but I don't intend for the MacBook to be plugged in so how badly will this use drain the battery?
  • How about sound quality?  Is there any reason to think the SSD would be any better or worse sounding?
  • I know expense is a consideration.  My MacBook only consumes 65GB.  My music library drive uses 720GB.  The two Lacie backups about 1.3TB and the Western My Passport about the same.  I have spotted a drive that is of interest to me.  The G-Technology G-Drive mobile SSD R-Series Storage.  They have a 1TB that is $299.95 and the 2TB jumps to $649.95.  I'm thinking I would eventually get three new SSD drives one for the music library, one for primary backup and one for a safety backup.

So I'm hoping for advice.  Good idea, bad idea?  What operational consideration do I need to be aware of?  Thanks for taking the time to read this and anything you can offer of insight to my plan.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I would not worry about using a (cheaper) HDD for your music library.  The $$ saved can be put into a better DAC, a PS (power supply) for the DAC, or a way to isolate the DAC from the noisy computer (optical fiber or WiFi).

If the SSD is used, the battery drain will increase - how much can be calculated for power consumption and duty time.

Or... you can put the music on a server and control it with the laptop...

I don't see any particular benefit to having external SSD drives for music as you don't need the speed that SSD drives provide.

I would suggest trying external bus powered enclosures/drives using 2.5" conventional drives.

Something like this:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/USB2/OWC_Express

Also, you probably don't to have the second backup drive out all the time so external power/size is less of an issue. Just keep it in the closet and  bring it out when you're ready to backup using CCC.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I would use an external M.2 for the active copy and larger SSD for backup.  In any case, I would buy the bare drives and make do with a total of two external cases; one permanently holding the M.2 and the other swapping in SSD as needed.  SQ may be a wash but SSD have an immensely longer data memory when unpowered.  

Being as this involves the Apple ecosystem I wish you luck and prosperity.

Portable drives have a very limited life when operated 24/7 due to the poor dissipation of heat generated by the drive. The music library tends to grow, perhaps a fast NAS with four enterprise rated drives, that will store the music and also provide a backup for the Mac computer(s). This will avoid the clutter on the bench as the NAS and laptops work from wireless. The emergency drive can be plugged into the NAS to provide a security backup and this can be the newer Tunderbolt Mark 3(?) with USB-C interface.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA