IGNORED

Speakers for office, with 27" iMac in between

I'm currently using powered studio monitors on stands between my office desk and the wall in front of me.  I've worked hard to place the speakers in best relation to walls, equilateral triangle about 6 feet from me.  Sitting comfortably in my chair, I can just see the full face of both speakers to the sides of my iMac 27" display.   I assume the monitor has some impact on the sound but it hasn't been easy to test, and I haven't heard big differences before / after removing the computer from my desk. 

Considering upgrading speakers.  But still concerned about speaker placement vs. monitor.  I've thought about mini maggies office solution, or open baffle floor standers,  or monitors on the desk next to the sides of the monitor - but that just seem too close.

I'd appreciate hearing from folks who have found a superior office speaker set up.  

I use Vanatoo transparent one speakers flanking my 27" iMac.  I think it is nearfield enough that I don't have to worry about reflections.  I have the speaker faces a bit forward relative to the screen, but nothing too drastic.  

It is kind of like wearing headphones, but without the sensation of having your head squeezed in a vice.

Superior office setups always use superior speaker stands and have had some testing done with a USB mic.  Normally this means desktop stands with lot of vibration isolation and as much room treatment as is feasible.  You on the other hand have freestanding monitors and a computer monitor interfering with the sweet spot.  One option you may not be interested in is replacing your computer and getting a larger screen mounted on the far wall.

Could you roughly depict the office size/shape and location of prominent objects.  Along with what powered monitors and stands you are currently using.  Home or work office?  

Thanks wgscott and rando for your replies.   My current office room is large, about 25x15x7. so I can rearrange the furniture if needed.  I listen almost always by myself, so I've arranged the room so my desk chair is the sweet spot. Using Emotiva 8" Stealth rear-ported monitors on wooden stands using Isoacoustic stands to isolate the monitors.  The monitors are at distance from the wall that provides the bass response I prefer and the imaging and soundstage are quite good. The equilateral triangle is 5ft. (not 6 ),  and my listening position is about 7ft to the front wall. 

I'm very impressed with the Emotiva's and the bass extension is great - I feel no need at all for a sub. 

I thought about projecting the computer display on the wall, but I need to do video conferencing, and not ready to radically change my computer setup.   No complaints right now, but wondering about 'next steps' in upgrading... DAC, and perhaps separate amp and speakers.  Could consider great headphones/amp.  But don't like to be tethered.   Not intending my office set up to be my ultimate listening room, but for now, let's pretend cost is not a limiting factor.   Lots of choices in high-end compact DACs and amps.  But speakers with a desk have me looking for suggestions.  Some have said the sound wraps around the computer display  well enough that it shouldn't be a problem.  Probably need good dispersion.  maggies too directional?  or something like evolution acoustics micro's on stands (which sound amazing!) ?

IMG_1552.jpg

I have a very similar set up, with the speakers at the ends of a 6 foot long desk on iso pucks, on bamboo boards, on more iso pucks. Listening to it right now and could not be happier with the sound. Speakers are angled in, roughly equal with the front of the iMac, perhaps slightly in front of it. I use regular speakers, only difference is rather than being back or front ported, they are  back side ported, Sonus Faber Olympica 1s. Ports can either face in or out, I have them facing out or Bass gets a bit too boomy, I presume because it gets behind the iMac and bounces around.

No electron left behind.

the mini-maggies will d some things that a box speaker simply cannot - I have 3.7i's in the den, currently have Monitor BX8's in the office

it looks like you have space to use mini-maggies... no matter what, your screen is a problem with the speakers like that, but you'll have to move things around to see how big a problem

my short list for an upgrade:

Active Monitor Speakers for Office

JBL Professional LSR305

AudioEngine

Vanatoo Transparent One powered speakers - no ports, but out of stock

Genelec G One - bass port on rear but has -6 dB tone control switch

Dynaudio Xeo 2

ADAM A7X 

Focal Shape 40 - $500

On 8/25/2018 at 3:03 PM, Ralf11 said:

the mini-maggies will d some things that a box speaker simply cannot - I have 3.7i's in the den, currently have Monitor BX8's in the office

it looks like you have space to use mini-maggies... no matter what, your screen is a problem with the speakers like that, but you'll have to move things around to see how big a problem

my short list for an upgrade:

Active Monitor Speakers for Office

JBL Professional LSR305

AudioEngine

Vanatoo Transparent One powered speakers - no ports, but out of stock

Genelec G One - bass port on rear but has -6 dB tone control switch

Dynaudio Xeo 2

ADAM A7X 

Focal Shape 40 - $500

Out of the above, I'd easily go for the Adam A7x. They are in a different class than the others mentioned.

mQa is dead!