IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a new DAC, Part 2 - Ayre QX-8

4 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Thanks for making the effort to include a speaker-based system. Would it be possible to test DAC's that have volume control like the Mytek or Benchmark in your friend's system with preamp bypassed? That can make quite a difference in SQ, for better or worse. My next DAC will definitely have this capability.

The QX-8 has a digital voulume control like the QX-5 twenty and the Codex, too. If you prefer an analog volume control, there will be the Ayre KX-8 with integrated pre-amp, soon.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:57 AM, austinpop said:

While I'm sure there are a handful of people aligned with what can work for your system and your budget and are thankful for that, the truth is a majority of people out there are not concerned with the +$5000 market, chances are, a lot of people are going to be left behind in the process. This is due to a number of reasons: priority in life, budget,  mostly though leaning toward practical common sense of what the upper limit intersection of price constitutes value.

I've read your criteria list and I don't in particularly like the "at least 24/384 PCM argument", including excluding DACs who support a maximum of 24/192 which doesn't make any sense on why a DAC should meet that (in particularly, this is a good way to exclude the Schitt Yggdrasil). And yes there are a handful of people eager to compare your thoughts on the latest Holo Cyan release so it would be thoughtful to consider that one if you gauge other people's interests on this site with a quick search.

I understand the idea of publicizing a journal of thoughts to logically arrive at a conclusion is a coherent way to arrive at a product which would best fit your system. your ears. and your preferences, however keep in mind the journey will end and people will either have to replicate what you have, or take a leap of faith to see if the DAC part works for their system. Just keep in mind out of respect these write-ups are mainly for you alone.

Good luck on reaching the end of your quest.

Looking forward to hearing a QX-8. Could be my next DAC. Thanks for the review!

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I and many others, I’m sure, would love to know your thoughts on the QX-8 in relation to the QB-9 DSD.

As a former owner of a QB-9 DSD, I'd find this really interesting.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I’m looking at getting a Grandinote Volta streamer DAC.

Ethernet and USB in. Balanced XLR, RCA and UHD HDMI out.

Ticks a lot of boxes and the sound quality is supposed to be pretty special. 

But not cheap and Reviews are hard to find. Will be having a listen in the showroom Wednesday then a home trial next week.