IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a new DAC, Part 2 - Ayre QX-8

Since my Innuos Zenith Mk II SE server has a second USB output port, I conducted a simple experiment, where I compared the sound quality with a direct USB connection (from SE to DAC) vs. my full USB chain, in both cases using Lush USB cable(s).

I thought the second (backup) USB output on the SE wasn't supposed to have the same sound quality as the one marked DAC.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 minutes ago, rickca said:

Since my Innuos Zenith Mk II SE server has a second USB output port, I conducted a simple experiment, where I compared the sound quality with a direct USB connection (from SE to DAC) vs. my full USB chain, in both cases using Lush USB cable(s).

I thought the second (backup) USB output on the SE wasn't supposed to have the same sound quality as the one marked DAC.

In practice, I found no noticeable difference in SQ between the 2 ports. The second port proved invaluable as a way to burn in DACs awaiting review! :)

I did double check the finding (direct USB vs USB chain) with the primary USB port as well, and the same result holds. I will correct the article to avoid confusion.

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Seems like judging a DAC by it’s chip is not a very insightful way to judge a DAC. 

3 hours ago, Jud said:

am curious how much of a DAC's goodness comes from digital software (filter choice), digital hardware, and analog hardware (including power supply).

Indeed. If there's one thing I've learned about what aspects of DAC design contribute to SQ , it's that everything matters

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

Indeed. If there's one thing I've learned about what aspects of DAC design contribute to SQ , it's that everything matters

The reason I'm interested is I'm one of those fellows who's taken up "knitting."  :D  I have thoughts at some point of putting together a DSC1 or 2 (or whatever else might be available at the time) and feeding it software-converted DSD.  So I'm interested in which parts and accessory equipment might best repay in sound the $$ expended on them.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

"His Yggy unit does not have the new Gen 5 USB stage, nor the new Analog 2 upgrade. Last he checked, he was #98 on the upgrade queue!"

I believe that makes for an unfair evaluation....  All the new Yggys anyone would buy will automatically have those upgrades stock.  The  upgrades make for an audible difference and improvement.  I had both upgrades done.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

I've enjoyed your first 2 dac reviews very much and look forward to future installments.  I too have and enjoy the Ayre Codex but plan on upgrading in the near future to dacs under $5k.  Might you be including the Lindemann Musicbook 10 or one of its other configurations?

3 hours ago, hlkaye said:

I've enjoyed your first 2 dac reviews very much and look forward to future installments.  I too have and enjoy the Ayre Codex but plan on upgrading in the near future to dacs under $5k.  Might you be including the Lindemann Musicbook 10 or one of its other configurations?

Thanks.

That DAC is not on my radar. I have a couple more DACs in the pipeline, and then will see where I stand. Fun as this is, I can't cover everything!

15 hours ago, austinpop said:

I can't cover everything!

No doubt. Hopefully though you will include the Benchmark DAC3? I ask because the DAC3 truly is a... benchmark. Including it will allow a more thorough ranking of the others in your series. 

Thanks for making the effort to include a speaker-based system. Would it be possible to test DAC's that have volume control like the Mytek or Benchmark in your friend's system with preamp bypassed? That can make quite a difference in SQ, for better or worse. My next DAC will definitely have this capability.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

No doubt. Hopefully though you will include the Benchmark DAC3? I ask because the DAC3 truly is a... benchmark. Including it will allow a more thorough ranking of the others in your series. 

You don't have to sell me on Benchmark - I used to own, and enjoyed, a DAC1 HDR! Since there are so many good DACs out there, I've narrowed the field in the exact way anyone would that is considering upgrading their system. As you can see from my articles, I am particularly concerned about the size and quality of the power supplies, which is why I have focused on DACs that either enable external DC PSUs, or have much heftier built-in linear PSUs. 

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Thanks for making the effort to include a speaker-based system. Would it be possible to test DAC's that have volume control like the Mytek or Benchmark in your friend's system with preamp bypassed? That can make quite a difference in SQ, for better or worse. My next DAC will definitely have this capability.

I can't promise this, but will take it under advisement.

Rajiv, are you going to check out the Holo Spring?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.