IGNORED

American Hi-Fi: Inferior?

GUTB

Compared to all the amazing designs coming out of Europe over the last 10-20 years, what have American manufacturers been doing? Sure, there’s been some great boutique type companies for things like high end cables etc. Sure, Pass is still an institution. Sure you still have the Mark Levinsons. But it seems like year after year at the shows it’s 8 times out of 10 a European company that turns my head.

Does anyone else see this trend? Why are so many great designs coming out of these have-nothing Euro countries (not counting UK and Germany obviously)? Why can’t America raise another Nelson Pass? 

29 minutes ago, Andyman said:

Don’t panic. Your president is actually making America great again.

BTW are you perhaps Howard Stern?

Hahahahaha good one

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

2 hours ago, GUTB said:

Compared to all the amazing designs coming out of Europe over the last 10-20 years, what have American manufacturers been doing? Sure, there’s been some great boutique type companies for things like high end cables etc. Sure, Pass is still an institution. Sure you still have the Mark Levinsons. But it seems like year after year at the shows it’s 8 times out of 10 a European company that turns my head.

Does anyone else see this trend? Why are so many great designs coming out of these have-nothing Euro countries (not counting UK and Germany obviously)? Why can’t America raise another Nelson Pass? 

Not sure how serious you are with this thread. But from me looking over the Atlantic to you guys, there are technology you’re doinging great, and in other areas not so. 

You used to make fantastic cars, some decades ago ?,

and now the president even had to help the industry survive. 

In in other areas you are would leading. 

Can this be a cultural issue ?

(As an example, people did not buy HD for it’s quality)

It’s my understanding part of American thinking is extremely conservative, and that can prohibit developing.

However I’m not so sure the HiFi industry is one. Some companies do peresreve the thinking weight is equal to quality.  Is that still the truth ?

Also, not to forget, how huge is the marked for quality sound ?

That could be a important factor. 

Maybe you can convice people that if you use Elon Musk’s power bank on your stereo, it will sound better.

Or maybe you guys need to start use 220 VAC, as Charles Hanson pointed out in the Ayre thread: 220 VAC sounds better ?

20 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Or maybe you guys need to start use 220 VAC, as Charles Hanson pointed out in the Ayre thread: 220 VAC sounds better ?

He hasn't heard 230 or 240 V I guess..  Although I know some fans of 127 V (mainly guys from Curaçao). Obviously all Japanese 100 V gear sounds like s..t, no need to convince anybody I hope.. :D

As for the main topic - IMO the Albanian loudspeakers maker Magico alone has shown clearly how worthless whole American hi end is ;)

15 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

anything under 300 V SUCKS

Let's get real 'Murican and JUMP OVER those pesky Euro-peon with 800+ V of pure Tesalation Fast Chargin' Porsche e-tron Power !!

Then we can run our home HiFi off of our car battry' packs and recharge it all down at the Grange Hall Hoedown

Wouldn't a Tesla battery be more 'Murican?

No electron left behind.

Ha.  The only thing that keeps the EU’s overstuffed budget afloat Are the fines they extort from American companies, you know, because the typical EU citizen is to frail to delete Google search and install go duck go.  

Come on, I lived in Europe for a good number of years and I know that most Europeans can make their own decisions without some Eurocrat’s mothering. Anti- competitive my arse!

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

19 minutes ago, mansr said:

I like the 250 V my sockets usually deliver. 

6 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

anything under 300 V SUCKS

I'm in the process of getting real (!) high voltage for my gear. I think you know what it means,, guys (it's not going to be 100% legal so I won't say no more)..

high-voltage-power-lines-and-hydro-elect

I have already the capacitors ( main-qimg-a89bc89ed3e9eb67978b6e11b3f547) to store the energy of these:

6664.-Roy-Sullivan-Was-Struck-By-Lightni

..just for the sudden bursts of orchestra crescendo energy..

But I'm open to any new ideas.. :)

I wish we had three phase power with 208 volts from 120 volt legs.  Rectified 3 phase has little ripple.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm in the process of getting real (!) high voltage for my gear. I think you know what it means,, guys (it's not going to be 100% legal so I won't say no more)..

Industrial consumers often get 10 kV or more. It makes sense if you're using megawatts of power. If you want to properly reproduce Disaster Area music, you probably should look at such options.

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

Electrostatic speakers?

Yes, but they suck because they are American made.  

I suppose I could reverse polarity, and they'd blow. 

Either way, GUTB has shown me they must be inferior.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.