IGNORED

Looking for inexpensive speakers for dorm room

I'm looking into purchasing a speaker system for my dorm room. I am looking for something inexpensive (around $100 would be great) and fairly compact, with good bass and the ability to connect to my Macbook and/or iPod. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Alex

I've got two pair of these, run $69.99 at Sam's Club and more elsewhere. For the money they're hard to beat, and have two analog inputs so you could have your pc and iPod hooked up. Won't rock a house party but great for a dorm room. I don't recommend the other Bose systems for my personal taste, but it's your ears and money so I'll just say to check this model out in your hunt.

For more money, the other speakers mentioned above are also likely better speakers.

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. Those look good and are what I'm looking for but the price is a little steep for my college budget. Do you know of any similar, less expensive models that you would still recommend?

Thanks,

Alex

Edit: I've heard good things about Swan speakers such as this model:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=89

What do you guys know about this brand/model?

I have a pair of Audioengine P4s and I think they're amazing. Tone is awesome, they're very quick, easy to drive, &c. Love 'em. But they're $250.

If you're on an extremely limited budget, have you considered headphones? Your dollar tends to go a lot farther that way -- and you tend to annoy fewer people in the dorm ... of course, it'll be a bit hard to rock the floor that way, but hey.

Another way to go will be with some used speakers. At your price point, I'd suggest hitting up Craigslist or even Freecycle to see what folks are willing to give away. And yes, I'm being totally serious. You can get screaming deals on some awesome (if slightly dinged up but otherwise perfect) 10+ year old speakers that will blow away anything you might consider buying new.

I would second Scot's suggestion of s/h (or even Freecycle). eBay can also be a good source of older equipment which is still very servicable. Not sure if you have similar in USA, but we have stores where people can sell off old stuff for cash - they often have good HiFi Bargains too.

Not sure what the situation is where you live but for £70 I could pick up in the UK...

Eltax Concept Mini Black bookshelf speakers from Richer Sound (a national chain of HiFi shops) for £20

and

Cambridge Audio A1 Mk3 SE integrated amplifier from eBay for £45. Alternatively speakers could also be got off eBay.

This combo would beat any 2.1 "computer speaker" setup to my mind and give you a basis to upgrade later if you so wished (the speakers would be the weak point).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 months later...

+1 on the Logitech Z-2300, they are pretty good. I got them for when i went to university in my first year when i was in dorms, if budget is an issue i would recommend them. They go loud really loud. We now connect them to a set of Dj Decks, and use them for house parties, never goes past half volume.

They obviously aren't as good, as a proper separate set up. But if your looking for something for a dorm i would recommend them after having them in mine.

The Swan M-10 speakers get great reviews and (almost) fit your budget. You can buy them for $125 from the Audio Insider, http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?p=swan-m10&products_id=89. I suspect they would be very hard to beat at that price. I've been thinking of picking up a pair (actually they consist of three speakers) for my office.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)