IGNORED

16x filter test results

I did two listening sessions with two different players and came up with two frequently contradictory sets of impressions, memorialized here.  :) 

An issue for me is not knowing what to listen for.  There may be aspects of these filters that experienced filter designers would recognize by ear (of course measurement will be more accurate), and I'd be curious to know what some of those aspects are, and their audible characteristics.  This ties into my lack of vocabulary to describe what I'm hearing.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Solo classical guitar as the file used to judge filters?!  Sorry, but I think that is an epic fail.  x-D

Vastly better would be a track with piano, acoustic bass, drums with rim hits and cymbals, some trumpet or coronet, and a bit of female vocal—all recorded together in a real acoustic space.

That’s the sort of track I use for many tests and for filter tuning.  Far more revealing with transients (which are the easiest to focus on, and where the differences are heard between filters) than some soft plucked nylon strings.

Let me know if you would like me to send you some tracks.

Interestingly, I got in trouble for saying something like that around here years ago.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

14 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Solo classical guitar as the file used to judge filters?!  Sorry, but I think that is an epic fail

I knew that whatever I picked, someone would respond like that. For this reason, I asked @ecwl what type of music he felt would reveal the supremacy of the Chord resampler. Blame him, not me.

2 minutes ago, mansr said:

I knew that whatever I picked, someone would respond like that. For this reason, I asked @ecwl what type of music he felt would reveal the supremacy of the Chord resampler. Blame him, not me.

No good deed goes unpunished! ;)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

49 minutes ago, Jud said:

I did two listening sessions with two different players and came up with two frequently contradictory sets of impressions, memorialized here.  :) 

An issue for me is not knowing what to listen for.  There may be aspects of these filters that experienced filter designers would recognize by ear (of course measurement will be more accurate), and I'd be curious to know what some of those aspects are, and their audible characteristics.  This ties into my lack of vocabulary to describe what I'm hearing.

What do you imagine that experienced filter designers might be hearing? Aside from filter 2 the rest of them are flat to past 20Khz and seem to have adequate stop band rejection. (except maybe filter 11). What is there to hear?

You are not a sound quality measurement device

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Solo classical guitar as the file used to judge filters?!  Sorry, but I think that is an epic fail.  x-D

Vastly better would be a track with piano, acoustic bass, drums with rim hits and cymbals, some trumpet or coronet, and a bit of female vocal—all recorded together in a real acoustic space.

That’s the sort of track I use for many tests and for filter tuning.  Far more revealing with transients (which are the easiest to focus on, and where the differences are heard between filters) than some soft plucked nylon strings.

On 8/5/2018 at 2:54 PM, ecwl said:

As you’ve noticed my comparison tracks, I find it’s easiest to hear the differences between different tap length WTA filters on Chord DACs either with specific instruments with obviously timbre and note strikes, e.g. piano music, or with specific instruments that highlights transients/timing, e.g. guitar plucks, hand clapping, finger snapping, drum strikes, cymbals. That is not to say that everything else don’t sound better with longer tap length WTA filters, it’s just that these things are easier to hear for comparison purposes. Honestly, if you record yourself playing the piano or clapping your hands or striking drums, or doing your own rendition of Cups, even that can work.

Haha. I'm guilty as charged. I left my original quote above but I'm glad @mansr spent all this time and effort creating all these tracks.

I definitely had my eyes opened thanks to @mansr as to what software upsampling can do.

I'm actually curious about a couple of things:

1) How long was the computation time to create filter 8 and filter 12 tracks? (assuming CPU only)

2) Is the sonic difference between say filter 8/12 and Blu2 due to Blu2's noise shaper? Rob Watts says the WTA million tap filter outputs to 56 bits and then he uses an 11th order noise shaper (instead of (pseudo)-Gaussian or triangular dither) to convert it back to 24 bits. Although I have to admit I don't fully understand what Rob Watts mean by 11th order noise shaper.

3 minutes ago, ecwl said:

I'm actually curious about a couple of things:

1) How long was the computation time to create filter 8 and filter 12 tracks? (assuming CPU only)

I ran it again and timed it. The 10-million-tap filter used 58 seconds to process the 86-second file. This was done in a rather inefficient way using Octave on a single core of an Intel Xeon W3680 CPU (3.33 GHz) from 2010. With purpose-written software, I'd expect at least a 10x speed-up.

3 minutes ago, ecwl said:

2) Is the sonic difference between say filter 8/12 and Blu2 due to Blu2's noise shaper? Rob Watts says the WTA million tap filter outputs to 56 bits and then he uses an 11th order noise shaper (instead of (pseudo)-Gaussian or triangular dither) to convert it back to 24 bits. Although I have to admit I don't fully understand what Rob Watts mean by 11th order noise shaper.

I don't really see the point in doing noise shaping at the 24-bit level. It's far below what any DAC can resolve anyway.

1 hour ago, adamdea said:

What do you imagine that experienced filter designers might be hearing? Aside from filter 2 the rest of them are flat to past 20Khz and seem to have adequate stop band rejection. (except maybe filter 11). What is there to hear?

Some of the various filters available with software like HQPlayer sound rather different from each other to me.  The same is the case when some of the available parameters are changed (particularly phase, at least when I am listening through speakers) in iZotope and SoX.  I would guess (and @Miska has remarked) that these differences, at least in his software, are more evident to him. 

I don't want to get off topic, because I think the purpose of this particular exercise may have been primarily to see whether filter length was something that stood out audibly for listeners. But I personally am interested in whether I would notice increased ringing, whether I ought to use a steeper filter to get rid of aliasing and imaging, and whether any of it makes much difference anyway when upconverting to DSD512.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Some of the various filters available with software like HQPlayer sound rather different from each other to me.  The same is the case when some of the available parameters are changed (particularly phase, at least when I am listening through speakers) in iZotope and SoX.  I would guess (and @Miska has remarked) that these differences, at least in his software, are more evident to him. 

I don't want to get off topic, because I think the purpose of this particular exercise may have been primarily to see whether filter length was something that stood out audibly for listeners. But I personally am interested in whether I would notice increased ringing, whether I ought to use a steeper filter to get rid of aliasing and imaging, and whether any of it makes much difference anyway when upconverting to DSD512.

I wonder how the HQ Player poly-sinc-xtr filter measures. I think it sounds quite different from the poly-sinc-short.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

8 minutes ago, semente said:

I wonder how the HQ Player poly-sinc-xtr filter measures. I think it sounds quite different from the poly-sinc-short.

Have you tried that blind? (Yes, I'm serious. The only blinded tests I've tried are a couple of times listening to minimum vs. linear phase with speakers, and I did get it correct; but whether repeated trials would bear that out, I don't know.)

18 minutes ago, Jud said:

Have you tried that blind? (Yes, I'm serious. The only blinded tests I've tried are a couple of times listening to minimum vs. linear phase with speakers, and I did get it correct; but whether repeated trials would bear that out, I don't know.)

I don't have that possibility, but think that the difference is quite marked anyway, more than linear vs. minimum are in my experience.

Have you tried lp vs. mp vs. asym?

I prefer lp and asym to mp but the asym filter is somewhat crude when compared to the poly-sinc-.

P.S.: I used Anouar Brahem's "The Astounding Eyes of Rita"; perhaps I was dreaming. ?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

729791271_Screenshotfrom2018-08-1700-46-33.thumb.png.f4e3a235ac5af0bc8a7fcce60729d5c8.png

That IS rather extreme ;)  And my favorite, right now.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

11 hours ago, semente said:

The poly-sinc-short is the filter I settled on several years ago—and still my favorite by a large margin (combined with NS4 or NS5 dither).  I tried the xtr variant a couple of times about 6 months ago, but it did not do much for me.  I’ll try it again soon.

That is impressive response. Is the 0 - 20 Hz response as linear as it looks on the compressed scale of this graph? 

I looked at the Border Patrol dac  review and saw the response to a 1K hz impulse sample.  Border Patrol has gotten a lot from a TDA1533 chip.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, mansr said:

All are linear phase.

Ok thanks. IMHO it will be nearly impossible to hear any differences on most filters. Filter 2 affects the audible band with a slow roll off - so it should be audibly different - depending on equipment. 

Did you look at passband ripple among the filters? Passband ripple  may be audible at a threshold of around 0.1 dB.