IGNORED

How to create phsyical SACD from dsd/dsf file.

@bellhead, a list at  Gearslutz site shows some SACD players can accept burned DVDR with dsf files. The authoring software is another matter, but any burner program can create a DSD_DISC from dsf. The burned disc behaves the same way as a normal SACD. If you google search DSD disc how to, there’s a structure that needs to be followed, but not a real mind bender.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/557918-sacd-engineers-heres-how-make-sacd-r-home-testing-before-glass-mastering.html

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

8 minutes ago, One and a half said:

@bellhead, a list at  Gearslutz site shows some SACD players can accept burned DVDR with dsf files. The authoring software is another matter, but any burner program can create a DSD_DISC from dsf. The burned disc behaves the same way as a normal SACD. If you google search DSD disc how to, there’s a structure that needs to be followed, but not a real mind bender.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/557918-sacd-engineers-heres-how-make-sacd-r-home-testing-before-glass-mastering.html

That thread is talking about a rather small number of players that, by accident, will play an SACD image burned to a standard DVD-R. Producing the image still requires special software that is (probably) expensive.

DSD_DISC is something else. It is simply a standard DVD image containing DSF files and can be created by any burning software. These discs can be played by the PS3 and various other players. The specification is available at https://dsd-guide.com/sites/default/files/white-papers/DSDDiscFormatSpecs.pdf. If supported by your player, this is the easier option.

4 hours ago, mansr said:

No, this is not possible. SACDs can only be produced in a small number of pressing plants owned or licensed by Sony. However, some players are able to play DSF files from a regular DVD-R.

As Mansr is well aware, the format of an SACD is very different to that of a CD. However, there are numerous SACD .iso files available on UseNet that can be burned to a DVD as a playable SACD.

Attached is such an example, which also includes suitable artwork to go with it.

I have expanded the .iso into 3 sections.

P.S.

No, I haven't burned any SACD iso's to a DVD myself as I don't want the physical media.

Neither do I know how to extract the .dsf files from the image.

SACD ISO .jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

As Mansr is well aware, the format of an SACD is very different to that of a CD. However, there are numerous SACD .iso files available on UseNet that can be burned to a DVD as a playable SACD.

Attached is such an example, which also includes suitable artwork to go with it.

I have expanded the different sections of the .iso into 3 sections.

P.S.

No, I haven't burned any SACD iso's to a DVD myself as I don't want the physical media.

Neither do I know how to extract the .dsf files from the image.

SACD ISO .jpg

These are often called SACD-R discs.

Found this list of SACD-R compatible players:

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/wiki/A-list-of-SACD-R-compatible-players.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

16 minutes ago, mansr said:
  2. Those Usenet files are illegal. Don't download them. 

So is ripping the contents of SACDs using a PS3 as many members have done, (I haven't) or getting others to do it for you, not necessarily with SACDs that you even own  !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

So is ripping the contents of SACDs using a PS3 as many members have done, (I haven't) or getting others to do it for you,

Depending on your jurisdiction, making copies of legitimately purchased material for personal use may or may not be strictly legal. However, it never deprives the creator of anything, so in that sense it is hard to object on moral grounds.

8 minutes ago, sandyk said:

not necessarily with SACDs that you even own  !

Making and retaining unauthorised copies of protected works is illegal, and I will not condone such actions. If you enjoy someone's music, it is only right that you pay for it.