IGNORED

Correct piano sound

Correct piano sound   

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/15/2018 at 8:40 AM, STC said:

Over the years, I have heard many experts' opinion about piano sound. Loudspeakers (and other equipments) often associated with the ability to reproduce the correct timbre of piano sound to judge sound quality. So let's identify which piano sounds accurate to you. 

Christopher Peacock - Origins

Jonathon Willis - Solo Piano

Sorry for potentially derailing this thread, but I'm struggling a bit with "The Piano Sound", that I've often read in other threads as well.

Which piano? Even among the modern Steinways there are significant variations in sound, and if you add any other brand (Yamaha, Bösendorfer etc.) or add older models, the sound variations between pianos to me is bigger than the nuances between many of our systems today that are actually pretty resolving on average. So my question is, accurate compared to what?

But I'm always interested in good piano recordings, unfortunately none of the two you propose are on Qobuz. 

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Sorry for potentially derailing this thread, but I'm struggling a bit with "The Piano Sound", that I've often read in other threads as well.

Which piano? Even among the modern Steinways there are significant variations in sound, and if you add any other brand (Yamaha, Bösendorfer etc.) or add older models, the sound variations between pianos to me is bigger than the nuances between many of our systems today that are actually pretty resolving on average. So my question is, accurate compared to what?

But I'm always interested in good piano recordings, unfortunately none of the two you propose are on Qobuz. 

You are precisely on point. The sound of correct piano tone was a point of contention for me as I don’t think there is a right answer. Different miking techniques and ambiance determines the recordings of the piano sound. 

I have the DPA SACD where they recorded a Bösendorfer with different microphones and techniques. It is hard to pick which of that should be the correct piano sound. To my ears all them sounded correct but my preference depends on the type of music. So out the 56 samples , I do not have one absolute preference. 

I was was hoping at least to see about four or five responses so that we could discuss more about piano sound and speakers/system. 

Thank you for responding. 

The limited SACD. 

59927E78-4779-4D5D-8A24-BF2921322471.thumb.jpeg.5d5fb71ac7ed4175cb958953315c0b7b.jpeg