IGNORED

How to save metadata for a new device?

Hi folks! First of all sorry for my English....I'm Italian, and I'll do my best to explain properly my problem.

My iPod classic just died after many years I was using it, so I decided to upgrade my experience and buy a new music player, choosing a Fiio X3 Mark III F.

I still not have this device in my hands, so I still don't know the way to add music in it....

My problem is my previous library: I used to synchronize my old iPod through iTunes, and I've organized all my songs  by Artist, Album, Genre, etc.... 

I assume that, if I simply will use the songs in the iTunes media folder, I'll loose all these metadata (artist, album, genre, track number, reproductions, etc....)

How can I reach the point to have the same songs organization on my new device? Or a new library  that works out of iTunes with the same metadata for each song?

I hope that is clear enough...again sorry for my English!

Cheers, Fabio

On 8/9/2018 at 1:44 PM, Darrenronbotnam said:

Hi folks! First of all sorry for my English....I'm Italian, and I'll do my best to explain properly my problem.

My iPod classic just died after many years I was using it, so I decided to upgrade my experience and buy a new music player, choosing a Fiio X3 Mark III F.

I still not have this device in my hands, so I still don't know the way to add music in it....

My problem is my previous library: I used to synchronize my old iPod through iTunes, and I've organized all my songs  by Artist, Album, Genre, etc.... 

I assume that, if I simply will use the songs in the iTunes media folder, I'll loose all these metadata (artist, album, genre, track number, reproductions, etc....)

How can I reach the point to have the same songs organization on my new device? Or a new library  that works out of iTunes with the same metadata for each song?

I hope that is clear enough...again sorry for my English!

Cheers, Fabio

Hi Fabio. I will try to answer your question. The metadataTags follow a standard (ID3) that is used by iTunes and most every other music organizer. The "standard" metadata will stay with your music and be used by any music organizer/player. However, iTunes also uses some non-standard metadata that will not be used by programs other than iTunes. The tags that are listed under "Details" in iTunes should be standard ID3 tags and are attached to your music files. The tags under "Sorting" are unique to iTunes and will not follow your music files to other programs. As long as your tags under the "Details" tab are what you want, then you should be OK when you move your files to the new device. Also, many music players do not recognize embedded artwork and may require a separate jpg file in the music folder. Hope this helps.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

4 hours ago, Dan Gravell said:

If you're on a Mac device, Doug Scripts has lots of useful scripts for doing things like syncing album art into the files: https://dougscripts.com

Yes, a very good tip for the OP. I forgot to include this in my post.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond