IGNORED

Article: Live Rock For The Audiophile

2 hours ago, marce said:

What was Yes like without Chris Squire and Jon Anderson...

My first album was Close to the Edge, so I have a personal view on who I consider the real Yes... 

The current "battle" between the two competing groups is not amusing ... Steve Howe makes the show, and still going after all this time! Billy Sherwood is an excellent musician ... I had seen "Yes" in the 2015 CT show after Chris Squire's death -- he selected Sherwood to continue in his stead. Im not a huge Jon Davidson fan but he does a great job of soundling remarkably like Anderson. They played mostly their old material. The keyboardist Geoff Downes also an excellent performer, better than when Tony Kaye returned for the second half ... bewildering changes in lineup over the years.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 2 months later...

Update:

Been to two radically different concerts in the past few months: 1) Joshua Bell with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra at Cincinnati Music Hall and 2) Phil Collins "I'm Not Dead Yet" at Columbus Nationwide Arena

Joshua Bell soloed  Sibelius conducted by Louis Langree. The playing was fantastic. The natural acoustics in the recently renovated Memorial Hall were terrific. The soundstage from the second row extended perhaps 160 degrees and was three dimensional. Music as it is meant to be played and heard.

Phil Collins was sad. He has had recent health issues and it was very evident. I suspect that the vocals were "assisted". In some cases too similar to the old recordings, and in other cases thin but without the amount of tremulousness that one would expect from his neurologic condition -- not officially diagnosed, but there appears to be a problem. He sat in a swivel office chair for the concert. Leland Sklar, the bassist, is a legend. Darryl Steurmer did a fine job on lead guitar. The stage was notable for an absence of on-stage amplifiers and all of the sound was broadcast through the main PA system at Nationwide Arena. Consequently the acoustics were suboptimal at best. The horn section used awful on instrument mics. Needless to say I was disappointed.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 1 month later...