IGNORED

Monitor Audio PL300

I just heard the monitor audio platinum 300s. I was very impressed. incredible realism and soundstage on chamber music. I was pleasantly surprised by the fullness and depth of their bass response - fat but not punchy, definitely passed the Ron Carter test. 10 grand is a lot of money for a guy like me though, and i'm in no hurry. anybody else heard these or have any recommendations for great speakers in this price range i should audition ?

macmini-> hiFace->Bryston BDA-1->Mcintosh MA6500->Klipsch RF 83s

• 5 months later...

I have been looking for some new speakers and listened to both the Monitor Audio PL300 and a few others among which the PMC Fact.8 that I found to have similar characteristics at a much lower price in Tokyo. They are both clean and transparent, but I liked the Fact.8 better overall.

I also prefer the design of the Fact.8, but that is a matter of personal taste.

Other than that, you might want to consider the B&W 804d, Wilson Benesch Curve, Focal 1028be, second hand Sonus Faber Cermona M,...

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

• 1 year later...

Running a pair of Monitor Audio PL-300 for a month now... Still burning in.

Came from living for about 15 years with a pair of Proac Response 2.5

Also considered Maggie's 3.7 and although I love that openness, airiness and coherence that are a trademark of Maggies presentation but at the end I decided to go for the PL-300.

As an overall compromise I found out that the PL-300 did won. If I had space for a pair of 3.7 and two JL Phantoms to compensate the bottom end I might of gone for the 3.7 but the 3.7 + two subs would be the equivalent of spending on a much pricier set-up.

Strange how I don't see many comments of the PL-300's on US forums or reviewers for the matter.

PL-300 comments pop up more in Europe and Asia...

I'd like to know if any you fellow computer audiophile have had experiences with the PL-300 and what are your opinions and listening impressions.

Any computeraudiohiles out there that also live with a pair of these?

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
Running a pair of Monitor Audio PL-300 for a month now... Still burning in.

Came from living for about 15 years with a pair of Proac Response 2.5

Also considered Maggie's 3.7 and although I love that openness, airiness and coherence that are a trademark of Maggies presentation but at the end I decided to go for the PL-300.

As an overall compromise I found out that the PL-300 did won. If I had space for a pair of 3.7 and two JL Phantoms to compensate the bottom end I might of gone for the 3.7 but the 3.7 + two subs would be the equivalent of spending on a much pricier set-up.

Strange how I don't see many comments of the PL-300's on US forums or reviewers for the matter.

PL-300 comments pop up more in Europe and Asia...

I'd like to know if any you fellow computer audiophile have had experiences with the PL-300 and what are your opinions and listening impressions.

Any computeraudiohiles out there that also live with a pair of these?

Cheers,

Could it be that I'm the only CA user around here with a pair of PL300?

Could it be that I'm the only CA user around here with a pair of PL300?

Possibly. Monitor Audio is more popular in the budget segment i.e. the Silver RX series. I have heard the the PL100 & PL300 and they were impressive but I think at that budget people will look for more "popular" "bragging rights" brands. Not to say MA lacks!

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Possibly. Monitor Audio is more popular in the budget segment i.e. the Silver RX series. I have heard the the PL100 & PL300 and they were impressive but I think at that budget people will look for more "popular" "bragging rights" brands. Not to say MA lacks!

I tend to agree with you...

I know it sound redicullous but i did felt that I was confronted with the fact that, although I really loved the PL-300's sound, it seemed to me that it had somewhat a lack of pedigree.

I then found my self confronted with the fact that I had to pay at least more two or three grand to get a sound of the PL-300's league that had a badge with pedigree.

As for me, I don't regret at all to have decided the PLs over other siblings... I do honestly think that should this project have been done, and produced, by smaller scale companies that do some more "exotic" products, the final price for the general public of such a project like the PL300 would be quite higher.

Due to it's scale MA is able to put a price tag quite smaller as it as support from a company that makes product for the masses.

The building quality of these top many really expensive sets that I've cross with during my audiophile years. Not to mention many of the technologies employed on these that you only find in much more expensive speakers.

It's Not because of the fact that I own a pair but the reality is that at this price point it has a level of quality that normally you only find in much more expensive sets. And I've heard a lot of high, really high and stupidelly extremely high-end speakers....

Same goes for B&W's 801D... It as a level that in none mass market driven companies the final product would cost many times more...

I remember talking with my wife saying "they sound so good and are so cheap compared to others that level them in terms of overall sound but I feel like I will be buying something that won't make a show off within my circle of audiophile friends..."

She said "who cares... They sound really good, look great in our living room and cost a whole lot less that the other options... It's a real no brainier, really!" and I tend to agree.

There is no comparison between the PL300 and the remaining products of Monitor Audio, It's a completely different league.

I'm running mine with JRDG rig and it's quite good but I've heard them many times with PASS labs, highish models, with top of the line esoteric sources and boy what a sound... I spent 5 minutes on the Wilson's Sophia room and 10 on the SF Cremona M room... But on the PL300 room as time passed by I just felt more compelled to stay and listen to more music... You stop being an audiophile and convert yourself to a melomane.

As an aside, the new Monitor Audio Gold line incorporates much of the design of the Platinum at a more affordable price point. I'm using some of the monitors in some upstairs systems. The GX-50s (under 2K/pair), along with their center channel (GX-150) anchor the home theater, and sound fantastic, along with dual subs. A pair of GX-100s are a great match with a Def Tech Supercube in another room. I love the sound of the PL300s too, but find the golds are very close to that same sound. I think you can pick up the GX300s for around 5-6K.

I have thousands of LPs, hundreds of CDs, and dozens of 24 bit downloads. I mostly listen to the downloads...

As an aside, the new Monitor Audio Gold line incorporates much of the design of the Platinum at a more affordable price point.

Yes, I've heard of so many people auditioning both and going home with Golds because there wasn't that much in it... except for the cheaper price.

But is that going to mean even less audiophile credibility..?? <shock horror!>

From my observations of the audiophile world it basically comes down to this... Something either has to cost a lot of money and be some obscure brand name or gadget that Joe sixpack average has never heard of. Or alternatively be something a bit older from perhaps the 70's and be something obscure that Joe sixpack average has never heard of. Thus neglecting the need for it to cost a lot of money.

Moderately priced well-known consumer brand products will never win you any bragging rights in the audiophile world.

I just heard the monitor audio platinum 300s. . . . or have any recommendations for great speakers in this price range i should audition ?

I find that professional gear vastly outperforms that of gilded classic audiophile square boxes.

I chose Genelecs top studio monitors 8260s at the same price range.

They however comes with tri-amped coaxial mid/high in a rounded aluminum cabinet with DAC, digital X-overs and DSP room correction included in the same price.

I urge everybody to dare audition pro gear with an unbiased mind.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

• 9 months later...
I know it sound redicullous but i did felt that I was confronted with the fact that, although I really loved the PL-300's sound, it seemed to me that it had somewhat a lack of pedigree.

IMHO, pedigree is good for two things: it tells us what "some" "other" people like, and resale value is possibly higher. It's useless other than that.

As to bragging rights: I never feel more foolish than after a brag-fest. Does that always stop me? (lol) I wish. Making poor spending choices is #2 on the foolish list. Conversely, I feel great after making smart buying decisions; and by "smart", I mean decisions that include both emotion and logic but logic takes the lead. In short, I agree with your wife's assessment.

Enjoy your MA's.

Gary

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

• 2 weeks later...
I tend to agree with you...

I then found my self confronted with the fact that I had to pay at least more two or three grand to get a sound of the PL-300's league that had a badge with pedigree.

As for me, I don't regret at all to have decided the PLs over other siblings... I do honestly think that should this project have been done, and produced, by smaller scale companies that do some more "exotic" products, the final price for the general public of such a project like the PL300 would be quite higher.

Due to it's scale MA is able to put a price tag quite smaller as it as support from a company that makes product for the masses.

The building quality of these top many really expensive sets that I've cross with during my audiophile years. Not to mention many of the technologies employed on these that you only find in much more expensive speakers.

It's Not because of the fact that I own a pair but the reality is that at this price point it has a level of quality that normally you only find in much more expensive sets. And I've heard a lot of high, really high and stupidelly extremely high-end speakers....

Same goes for B&W's 801D... It as a level that in none mass market driven companies the final product would cost many times more...

I remember talking with my wife saying "they sound so good and are so cheap compared to others that level them in terms of overall sound but I feel like I will be buying something that won't make a show off within my circle of audiophile friends..."

She said "who cares... They sound really good, look great in our living room and cost a whole lot less that the other options... It's a real no brainier, really!" and I tend to agree.

There is no comparison between the PL300 and the remaining products of Monitor Audio, It's a completely different league.

I'm running mine with JRDG rig and it's quite good but I've heard them many times with PASS labs, highish models, with top of the line esoteric sources and boy what a sound... I spent 5 minutes on the Wilson's Sophia room and 10 on the SF Cremona M room... But on the PL300 room as time passed by I just felt more compelled to stay and listen to more music... You stop being an audiophile and convert yourself to a melomane.

Apologize for off-topic. tiff-needle, how is your dac search going? Are you using an Esoteric?

I almost bought a pair on Ebay in mint condition for a 1/3 of the list price and passed from a lot of comments I heard from dealers. Not trying to rain on the OP enthusiasm but the comments I heard were high listening fatigue with very aggressive highs... Beautiful speakers and almost went with them.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

My first job was selling high-end audio, 86-88. The shop originally sold Polk and KEF (and others) but we added the Monitor Audio line. The 952 and 352 were two of my favorites, right along with KEF 103.2 and 104/2. (I did not like the 103/3 or the set of products that followed using the new KUBE device.)

Though the 952 lacked deep bass and did emphasize "the presence region" I never found them fatiguing. Their soundstaging was phenomenal. The 352's were a bit better balanced top to bottom (especially given the price), though a bit less resolving. Stereophile agreed with me Monitor Audio R952MD loudspeaker Page 2 | Stereophile.com.

That Monitor Audio has been in business so long is a testament to their quality.

I've got Focal Profile 918's and am considering MA's for a second listening room. I really won't be able to make a decision until I've had a chance to hear them (a bit hard in my area where self-installed 2-channel audio is becoming extinct).

So enjoy your purchase!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...